NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Any intelligent bidder understands this, I am not sure why you don't Bob. But to repeat what Tom just said, and what has been said countless times, take the fee into account when deciding how much you want to bid. It's that simple. It affects the consignor not the bidder.
Absolutely +1.

Right on, Peter.

Highest regards,

Larry
Old 08-19-2015, 08:26 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Absolutely +1.

Right on, Peter.

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by begsu1013; 08-19-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:36 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

On the topic of buyers premium:

I do agree that as a buyer you simply factor this into your final price before hand as a matter of fact. That still doesn't mean that as a buyer I don't think about the size of the buyers premium. For instance I would rather have a 10 percent buyers premium rather than 20. Before you tell me the item in the 10 percent premium auction will simply sell for 10 percent more in the final bidding, as a former worker at an auction let me just say NO, NO. I worked at a general antiques auction with a flat 10 percent buyers premium. I also went regularly to auctions in the same area with higher buyers premiums at 15-20 percent. The prices almost never correlated in terms of factoring in buyers premium, often the same item would sell for the same exact price in both auctions. Given that wouldn't you rather start out 10 percent in the hole as opposed to 20?

Last edited by Econteachert205; 08-19-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:06 PM

I've seen it happen time and time again. In the heat of auction battles, the sense of a buyers premium often goes out the window.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I've seen it happen time and time again. In the heat of auction battles, the sense of a buyers premium often goes out the window.
+1

If it didn't get ignored then the auction houses wouldn't use it, and would just deduct a percentage from the final bid to take away from the consignor. Stated another way, when you placed your bid you'd see the actual cost when you clicked the button, as opposed to a lesser pre-premium cost.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
+1

If it didn't get ignored then the auction houses wouldn't use it, and would just deduct a percentage from the final bid to take away from the consignor. Stated another way, when you placed your bid you'd see the actual cost when you clicked the button, as opposed to a lesser pre-premium cost.
That is an absurd argument, particularly where many AHs remind you of the premium at the time you bid either by doing the math for you or by having a parenthetical saying not including buyer's premium.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-19-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:55 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That is an absurd argument, particularly where many AHs remind you of the premium at the time you bid either by doing the math for you or by having a parenthetical saying not including buyer's premium.

It's called anchoring, and I suggest all auction bidders read up on it. It's really interesting. From Wikipedia:

"Anchoring or focalism is a cognitive bias that describes the common human tendency to rely too heavily on the first piece of information offered (the "anchor") when making decisions. During decision making, anchoring occurs when individuals use an initial piece of information to make subsequent judgments. Once an anchor is set, other judgments are made by adjusting away from that anchor, and there is a bias toward interpreting other information around the anchor. For example, the initial price offered for a used car sets the standard for the rest of the negotiations, so that prices lower than the initial price seem more reasonable even if they are still higher than what the car is really worth."

Auction houses do the same thing by hiding the BP away from the bid price. The bid price is the "anchor." The BP is irrationally adjusted away. And then the AH immediately flips their numbers to include the BP when they're promoting how big their sales are. It's so obvious why they do that I frankly find it "absurd" that you think all customers treat a straight combined bid/BP number (ebay format) the same as one which hides the ball/BP in their Auction Rules page. Auctions are impulse buy markets, where people are not making the most rationale buying decisions to begin with. It only takes one irrationale participant to drive a price up.

If you make people do multiplication in their heads in a 20-minute extended bidding period at 2am, you will get irrational behavior. That's why you see 19.5% BPs instead of 20%. It makes it less palatable to do the actual math. Quick -- what's 1.195 x $1,900? Most bidders know their number will bring them over $2,000, but some won't realize or care that it's $2,270.50 until they get the invoice. Others will do the 20% calculation in their heads to get to $2,280 and then take an irrational discount in their heads to account for the 0.5% discount, which "saved" them all of $9.50 on a $2,000+ purchase.

Again, it's a form of anchoring, which is a very common way to set prices. E.g., $19.99 seems like way less than $20 to most in TV ads.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-20-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
+1

People don't like to lose and they get emotionally invested in an item that they bid on. Honestly, I would estimate the majority approach auctions in such a way.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
How do you know it isn't the sense of overall value that goes out the window?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Daryl

Default The Leon Luckey Type Card Collection – Bidding Ends on Thursday - August 13, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
On the topic of buyers premium:

I do agree that as a buyer you simply factor this into your final price before hand as a matter of fact. That still doesn't mean that as a buyer I don't think about the size of the buyers premium. For instance I would rather have a 10 percent buyers premium rather than 20. Before you tell me the item in the 10 percent premium auction will simply sell for 10 percent more in the final bidding, as a former worker at an auction let me just say NO, NO. I worked at a general antiques auction with a flat 10 percent buyers premium. I also went regularly to auctions in the same area with higher buyers premiums at 15-20 percent. The prices almost never correlated in terms of factoring in buyers premium, often the same item would sell for the same exact price in both auctions. Given that wouldn't you rather start out 10 percent in the hole as opposed to 20?

I don't think your experience at a general antiques auction is comparable to a big sports AH.

For goodness sakes, with easy-to-use sites like Heritage, which display the bid amount w/BP right next to the bid amount, how can anyone be confused about this?

Last edited by 4815162342; 08-19-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I don't think your experience at a general antiques auction is comparable to a big sports AH.

For goodness sakes, with easy-to-use sites like Heritage, which display the bid amount w/BP right next to the bid amount, how can anyone be confused about this?
Daryl nobody is confused except maybe Bob, and even if they were, they would at most make a single mistake and not repeat it ever again after they saw the premium tacked on.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-19-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Todd Schultz

Maybe this has been explained before and I'm just tired, but I am curious to know why an AH doesn't just skip the buyer's premium altogether and take their 1/6 share from the final hammer price. If buyers are already aware of BPs and adjust their max bids accordingly, presumably their max bids would increase once free of BPs. If the ultimate price with BP is the same as without it, and buyers don't care who gets what split of their money, then it should make no difference, right? On the other hand, if, for whatever reason and in spite of logic buyers don't like BPs and withhold participation for that strange (IMO) reason, then they will bid more and the hammer price would be higher without them.

IOW, if the BP doesn't make any difference and bidders ultimately pay the same max price with or without it, then why won't an AH try it the other way and charge no BP, agreeing instead to take its cut from the consignor's share?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-19-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:22 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Maybe this has been explained before and I'm just tired, but I am curious to know why an AH doesn't just skip the buyer's premium altogether and take their 1/6 share from the final hammer price. If buyers are already aware of BPs and adjust their max bids accordingly, presumably their max bids would increase once free of BPs. If the ultimate price with BP is the same as without it, and buyers don't care who gets what split of their money, then it should make no difference, right? On the other hand, if, for whatever reason and in spite of logic buyers don't like BPs and withhold participation for that strange (IMO) reason, then they will bid more and the hammer price would be higher without them.

IOW, if the BP doesn't make any difference and bidders ultimately pay the same max price with or without it, then why won't an AH try it the other way and charge no BP, agreeing instead to take its cut from the consignor's share?
Because consignors dont want money taken out of the purchase price.....
.its about the consignors not the bidders...also this is classic talk about 'user fee' versus general tax ..people dont mind paying 'tax' or in this case a 'bp' when its for s specific service..
Old 08-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post

because the good Peter'th says so. that's why. and that's all that matters. His words are scripture and there is no denying this.

for Pete's sake / for christ's sake. this is not by coincidence.

sheesh, all 100,002 of us know that.

Last edited by begsu1013; 08-20-2015 at 12:41 AM.