NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2015, 09:05 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
What information is gleaned from knowing a seller's asking price in a BST thread? That's akin to knowing an ebay seller's buy it now price when they allow for, and eventually accept a "best offer". Seems like meaningless information to me, unless it is somehow confirmed that a buyer paid that amount for the card (which would require disclosure by the buyer or seller after the fact).
more information is gleamed than knowing absolutely zero.......we would at least know the Max amount that could of been paid at that time...plus if its not a big deal than why delete it....might as well leave it up...sometimes there are price reductions as well...so having the lowest asking price still there would give some information....what the information means and what to do with it who knows....its just better than zero...

people can do what they want..i just don't see how is crazy on leaving the asking price more if people choose to do that...its not betraying any confidence..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
more information is gleamed than knowing absolutely zero.......we would at least know the Max amount that could of been paid at that time...plus if its not a big deal than why delete it....might as well leave it up...sometimes there are price reductions as well...so having the lowest asking price still there would give some information....what the information means and what to do with it who knows....its just better than zero...
So if I offer a card on BST for sale for $100 and someone offers me $80 which I agree to sell it for, how does it help the card collecting community to know that the card is sold $100? Wouldn't that in fact be misleading information, unless I came back and edited the price to what it actually sold for? My point is the asking price provides no relevant information unless it the actual realized price, and that information IMO is no one's business.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 08-14-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:19 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
So if I offer card on BST for sale for $100 and someone offers me $80 which I agree to sell it for, how does it help the card collecting community to know that the card is sold $100. Wouldn't that in fact be misleading information, unless I came back and edited the price to what it actually sold for?
Nope...I think people know the difference between Asking price and what a price sold for....they could be the same..but could be not.......we would know the max paid for it was $100 though...card prices go up and down from that point on but we will know the asking price on that date ...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Nope...I think people know the difference between Asking price and what a price sold for....they could be the same..but could be not.......we would know the max paid for it was $100 though...card prices go up and down from that point on but we will know the asking price on that date ...
Of course they know the difference, but it doesn't change the fact that the asking price is irrelevant and potentially misleading after the fact. Please explain how knowing the seller's asking price helps the collecting community in any meaningful way if you don't know what the card actually sells for?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Of course they know the difference, but it doesn't change the fact that the asking price is irrelevant and potentially misleading after the fact. Please explain how knowing the seller's asking price helps the collecting community in any meaningful way if you don't know what the card actually sells for?
well in your example we know the card didn't sell for more than $100...that's gives more information than zero....if its not a big deal about the asking price...then why not leave it?

If I see a card listed for $300..and there are 4 price reductions to $200...and now $200 is the asking price...and it sold last week.....I know I wouldn't value that card at $300 when asking price was $200 after many reductions....how is that info bad for me to know...maybe sold for less than $200 as well..

I do know if the asking price is deleted..i don't think that helps the community..... if I am a new member and there is no past sales history ..and the guy that bought the $200 card says he needs $400 for it cause he just paid that last week on net54...do you think that's good for the community?

plus if you say 'of course they know the difference' between asking and sell price..than its not potentially misleading after the fact..because they KNOW the difference..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
well in your example we know the card didn't sell for more than $100...that's gives more information than zero....if its not a big deal about the asking price...then why not leave it?

If I see a card listed for $300..and there are 4 price reductions to $200...and now $200 is the asking price...and it sold last week.....I know I wouldn't value that card at $300 when asking price was $200 after many reductions....how is that info bad for me to know...maybe sold for less than $200 as well..

I do know if the asking price is deleted..i don't think that helps the community..... if I am a new member and there is no past sales history ..and the guy that bought the $200 card says he needs $400 for it cause he just paid that last week on net54...do you think that's good for the community?
Because it's useless information and potentially extremely misleading!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:

plus if you say 'of course they know the difference' between asking and sell price..than its not potentially misleading after the fact..because they KNOW the difference..
We know the semantic difference, but there's no way of knowing what the actual sale price is on a private sale unless buyer or seller make it public. So in my example one could assume the card sold for any amount up to $100, when in reality the card sold for 80% of the asking price. Therefor the asking price is useless and misleading, particularly to a newcomer.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:03 AM

I'd like to be able to see what items sell for, particularly for non-card memorabilia. I like getting a sense for what various memorabilia may be worth. However, sellers using BST here certainly have the right to do what they want on this issue and, after reading this thread, I have a better appreciation for why some sellers here opt to delete the price after a sale.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Brad Pencil

See I take out the prices because I've been asked too before by buyers and tend to do it by default now, maybe they are going to flip it, I don't know. But I also don't care if they do because I got what I deemed was a fair deal. I tell people to PM me and they do and I usually give them the price I sold it but also give them a range of what I've seen others sell. It really depends on the card, not all 1's are equal just like in any grade. So I think its up to the person to do what ever they want in their own BST.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:02 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil1974 View Post
See I take out the prices because I've been asked too before by buyers and tend to do it by default now, maybe they are going to flip it, I don't know. But I also don't care if they do because I got what I deemed was a fair deal. I tell people to PM me and they do and I usually give them the price I sold it but also give them a range of what I've seen others sell. It really depends on the card, not all 1's are equal just like in any grade. So I think its up to the person to do what ever they want in their own BST.
noone said people cant do what they want with the card...just giving more options and many people here agree that putting the asking price is better than nothing and does zero harm to the buyer....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-14-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:42 AM
S Gross

I do sell a bit on BST.

When a card sells, I remove price and put in "sold."

Why ??? Simple, the card sold. Where I see and agree/disagree with all the "discussion" here, it really never crossed my mind.

I just keep it simple (maybe like my mind ).