NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Hopefully they can and will sort it out, i never said it shouldnt be illegal to give a glowing testimony to a lowlife, but lying and calling them saints isnt necessarily doing the job right either. if the guy has no redeeming qualities at all and the lawyer says he is an upstanding citizen because it's his 'job' to do so, it's also a lie.
Is it a lie when people submit letters attesting to their redeeming qualities? No, it's an argument. Just as it is in this case, where various priests, heads of charities, and other community leaders wrote letters attesting to Bill's good deeds and personal attributes. We may see it as all self-serving and bs, but it's fair argument.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-10-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Is it a lie when people submit letters attesting to their redeeming qualities? No, it's an argument.
exactly, great lawyer talk. i agree, if you think this way, you got what it takes to be a lawyer.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
exactly, great lawyer talk. i agree, if you think this way, you got what it takes to be a lawyer.
And if you ever get charged with a crime and get convicted, rightly or wrongly, you better hope that lawyer is doing his/her job.

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 08-10-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
And if you ever get charged with a crime and get convicted, rightly or wrongly, you better hope that lawyer is doing his/her job.
I think what judges need to do, especially in this case before Guzman, is to ask themselves the following question.

"if the defendant didn't get caught, would he still be participating in the illegal behavior to this day" i.e. not remorseful at all until caught?

if answer is yes, then full sentence.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-10-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
I think what judges need to do, especially in this case before Guzman, is to ask themselves the following question.

"if the defendant didn't get caught, would he still be participating in the illegal behavior to this day" i.e. not remorseful at all until caught?

if answer is yes, then full sentence.
LOL, that is one, among many others that a judge will ask themselves. Here in Oklahoma where I live, they answer that yes on just about every drug offense, which is one of the things that is draining the state dry. Sometimes a little common sense is also important.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:59 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default thanks to the defense...

In some corner of my soul, I would love to see Bill Mastro get the maximum for his offenses, but yeah, I have to admit a zealous defense is pretty da*n important if we want to maintain the (reasonably) free society we have enjoyed in our lifetimes.

Tim
Old 08-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Josh Adams

I don't think any attorney would call these clients "saints." My only point is that everyone has a mother.
you can find at least one redeemable quality in just about everyone.

The judge will also consider risk of recidivism, and the need to protect the public from further harm. The truth of the matter is that Mastro is out of the hobby, will be barred from running, or working in auction houses, and will forever be branded a convicted felon. The risk of him doing this again is significantly diminished.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox View Post
The judge will also consider risk of recidivism, and the need to protect the public from further harm. The truth of the matter is that Mastro is out of the hobby, will be barred from running, or working in auction houses, and will forever be branded a convicted felon. The risk of him doing this again is significantly diminished.
Mastro is not out of the hobby -- he tried to buy a baseball card from me that I had listed on eBay -- and he is not barred from any industry, including the sportscard and memorabilia auction field. And being a convicted felon is almost a prerequisite to owning a sports auction house.

Last edited by calvindog; 08-11-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Mastro is not out of the hobby -- he tried to buy a baseball card from me that I had listed on eBay -- and he is not barred from any industry, including the sportscard and memorabilia auction field. And being a convicted felon is almost a prerequisite to owning a sports auction house.
I believe in his sentencing memorandum Mastro represents that he will not return to the field. Could the judge hold him to it and make that a condition of his sentence? I know in the securities industry it's fairly common to bar convicted defendants from further participation.

From my post 16 above. "Bill voluntarily left the industry he
loved, and will never work in it again."

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-11-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I believe in his sentencing memorandum Mastro represents that he will not return to the field. Could the judge hold him to it and make that a condition of his sentence? I know in the securities industry it's fairly common to bar convicted defendants from further participation.

From my post 16 above. "Bill voluntarily left the industry he
loved, and will never work in it again."
To compare the securities industry and its layers of governmental oversight to the sports auction industry is like comparing the gross national product of Micronesia to that of the United States.

Claiming that he has "voluntarily" left the industry has no legal import. It means nothing. Has he requested an order from the Court which will prevent him from re-entering the industry? Has he asked that it be a condition of his supervised release or probation? No and no.

Last edited by calvindog; 08-11-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
To compare the securities industry and its layers of governmental oversight to the sports auction industry is like comparing the gross national product of Micronesia to that of the United States.

Claiming that he has "voluntarily" left the industry has no legal import. It means nothing. Has he requested an order from the Court which will prevent him from re-entering the industry? Has he asked that it be a condition of his supervised release or probation? No and no.
I was not making a comparison simply offering an example. I take it that a bar order is not likely to happen. So perhaps we will see him again down the road.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:05 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I agree that a vigorous defense of even the most deplorable criminal is necessary to maintain the integrity of our system. I have been consistently amazed by the amount of lawyers on this board, both real and pretend!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Al Richter

Default Lawyers

I had a good friend who hated lawyers and was always telling lawyer jokes. He called me one morning at 2am because his son had been arrested after an accident in which his girlfriend was killed and he was suspected of DUI. I was strictly a corporate lawyer but put him I touch with a guy like Josh. Guilty or not, it was his son and he wanted to do the best he could for him. I know a lot of good folks who don't think much of lawyers until they or someone they love needs one.

Do not know about anyone else, but in my 65 years I can not say I have never done anything that did not run afoul of some law and, that but for good luck or devine providence.. ..
Old 08-11-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox View Post

in terms of considering the need to protect the public from further harm, i would gather that the risk of not simply mastro doing it again, but anyone else doing it again, has some weight in the judge's evaluation.

Last edited by majordanby; 08-11-2015 at 02:13 PM.