NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Brad

Default Jackie Robinson "Purdue" bat

My dad used to play with a ton of store-model player bats when he was a kid in the late 1950s/early 1960s. My brother and I took over his “collection” when we were kids in the 1980s and we played with them in the back yard. We had dozens of them – almost any star player you’d want and all with varying degrees of handle types and weights: Banks, Kaline, Williams, Aaron, Fox, Snider, Aparicio….the list went on and on. As you’d expect, the bats were often broken and repaired and usually broken again.

When my parents moved from my childhood home a few years back, my brother and I divided up the bats. I think I came away with 4-5 that were NOT broken, and another 10-12 that had been repaired over the years, either by us or by my dad and his childhood friends. We probably threw away at least 20 of them over the years when they became “un-repairable.”

Anyway, this weekend I was looking at some of the bats with my son and I noticed something that I’d never paid attention to before. One of the Jackie Robinson H&B bats has an unusual notation near his name. The word “genuine” is above his name and the word “Purdue” is under his name. We grew up in Indiana, near Purdue University, and I can't believe I spent thousands of hours in my childhood playing with these bats and I never noticed this. This is the only bat I have that says this. I called my brother and he checked his Jackie Robinson bats – and all his other bats – and they do not have the “Purdue” designation.

Obviously, Jackie never played or coached at Purdue, so I’m wondering why this stamp/engraving would have been applied. It appears to have been done at a store or by the manufacturer (Louisville Slugger).

Does anyone else have any 1950s-60s bats with unusual stamps on them? Or know how mine might have come to have this? It probably doesn’t matter, but this particular model is the R17 style (engraved on the knob).

Thanks,
Brad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robinson bat long view.jpg (77.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Robinson bat.jpg (75.5 KB, 123 views)
Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Brock

It's a common college bat. You seem them all the time with the big stars and different colleges on them.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Brad

Thanks for the reply, Brock. I'm not much of a bat collector, so that never occured to me and I'd never seen it. I'm guessing then that these were probably done by a local sporting goods store?

Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Brock

I think the factory did them but not 100% sure.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Jim Murphy

factory made and as close to a pro bat as you could get