NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Jeff

Default Legendary Auction - Red Grange Lot?

Okay so THIS LOT went for a ton of money in last nights auction. Is the Star Player Candy card and the 1926 (mislabeled in the description) Spalding Champions card what brought in the cash? I don't know enough about the cards in this lot to figure it out, but that was impressive Any help?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM
John Spano

I figured those cards accounted for 90-95% of the final hammer. Star Player Candy cards are incredibly rare, many known by a single example. The Sports Company Grange was likely never issued and most examples were probably cut from a promotional piece.

Stand up and take notice, vintage football is on a rapid rise.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Jeff

I appreciate your response. I was excited to see a random lot like that do so well. I'm very familiar with the Spalding set, and I believe there are only two graded by PSA (not sure about SGC). Regardless - good for the consignor!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by big80s View Post
Okay so THIS LOT went for a ton of money in last nights auction. Is the Star Player Candy card and the 1926 (mislabeled in the description) Spalding Champions card what brought in the cash? I don't know enough about the cards in this lot to figure it out, but that was impressive Any help?
You got it. These two cards are extremely rare. The rest of the cards in that lot are pretty easy to obtain.

jeff
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Carl Lamendola

The only thing that surprised me was the $100 min. bid. I knew of three serious collectors who were probably going after it. It was the "perfect storm".
Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
The only thing that surprised me was the $100 min. bid. I knew of three serious collectors who were probably going after it. It was the "perfect storm".
And the fact that the two cards they showed in the thumbnail photos for this lot were only worth a couple hundred bucks each. It makes me wonder whether Legendary even knew what they had here. It would have been interesting to see if the Spalding and Star Player Candy cards would have fetched even more if they were in separate lots.

jeff
Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
And the fact that the two cards they showed in the thumbnail photos for this lot were only worth a couple hundred bucks each. It makes me wonder whether Legendary even knew what they had here. It would have been interesting to see if the Spalding and Star Player Candy cards would have fetched even more if they were in separate lots.

jeff
I was wondering the exact same thing.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I picked up my Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson and Grover Alexander sheet (which had some boxers too) in a boxing lot. Had it been alone in baseball I think it would have done better.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I picked up my Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson and Grover Alexander sheet (which had some boxers too) in a boxing lot. Had it been alone in baseball I think it would have done better.
Ya think

Sometimes digging on line through lots and auction categories is like digging through boxes of junk at a flea market ... you sometimes find some gems that are misunderstood or in the wrong category. It adds to the thrill of the chase.

That was a great pull, Leon!

jeff
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
I was the underbidder on this lot, I kept bidding and would be outbid in about 90 seconds. I had to let it go when I was outbid at 14, which would be a final hammer price of $16,800, so about 8k each for the two major cards. I think the SPC was 9-10k, the Spalding was 6-7k.

I would have loved to have seen those cards in seperate lots.

email me when you get a chance Carl, I'd be curious to know who else was after it.

Joe