NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

When I spoke with the executor of the estate one of his main concerns was for transparency with this find. He made it very clear to me that he didn't want hobbyists to get burnt by releasing some cards very slowly. I thought that was very classy of him and it was indicative of our conversation and the way the family is. I believe they were happy with the bidding where it was when the live bidding opened. Sure, everyone hopes to get more for the valuables but there are actually some kind and good people in this world. I wish our hobby was so nice sometimes. Sometimes it's not about going for the jugular it's about doing the right thing.

Last edited by Leon; 08-03-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The family was very happy when the live bidding opened? What does that mean? Were they very happy when the live bidding closed after being told that the $1 million estimate was 760K too high?

But if the family insisted upon releasing the full extent of the find instead of selling the cards a bit at the time then the fault lies with them -- assuming they were given good advice.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
The family was very happy when the live bidding opened? What does that mean? Were they very happy when the live bidding closed after being told that the $1 million estimate was 760K too high?

But if the family insisted upon releasing the full extent of the find instead of selling the cards a bit at the time then the fault lies with them -- assuming they were given good advice.
It means they were happy with where the prices were when the Live bidding opened. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Last edited by Leon; 08-03-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added the word "Live" to clarify
Old 08-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Barry Sloate

If somebody in the hobby found these they would have done this much differently. This family was outside the hobby and likely didn't understand the nuances the way we would.

That said, if the cards went for 25% of their estimated value then clearly something didn't work out. The family may be happy because they have nothing into them and didn't even know they had them until a few months ago. I guess there are going to be some bargains down the road.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
If somebody in the hobby found these they would have done this much differently.

If cows shi* butter we wouldn't have to churn.

If my uncle had boobs he would be my aunt.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

LOL!

It really is hard to complain about finding cards in an attic and walking away with $250,000..

The shrewd move would have been to sell these suckers periodically. I understand it's in the best interest of the hobby not to "sneak" in these cards, but as an auction house your best interest should always be getting the best possible (legal) price.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
LOL!

It really is hard to complain about finding cards in an attic and walking away with $250,000..

The shrewd move would have been to sell these suckers periodically. I understand it's in the best interest of the hobby not to "sneak" in these cards, but as an auction house your best interest should always be getting the best possible (legal) price.
To me, the shrewd move is to give the consignor all possible information and then do as they ask, within your boundaries. I think most auctioneers would agree. Otherwise, the consignor can take their wares elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:

Good thinking Leon!

WTT: 1 butter shi**ing cow for E98 Wagner. Condition not important (in regards to the cow, not the Wagner)...
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
If somebody in the hobby found these they would have done this much differently. This family was outside the hobby and likely didn't understand the nuances the way we would.

That said, if the cards went for 25% of their estimated value then clearly something didn't work out. The family may be happy because they have nothing into them and didn't even know they had them until a few months ago. I guess there are going to be some bargains down the road.
No one can possibly believe this family is happy after last night.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Paul

It would have been fraudulent not to disclose the material fact of other high grade E98s in their possession when trying to sell purportedly "low pop" cards.

My guess is they were wary of the indictments of the Legendary principals, and just wanted to make sure they weren't going to stand in front of a federal jury.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 AM
pete ullman

Really? So if they only had 1 or 2 graded...the pop would still be very low...probably unique. Technically they don't know how the others will eventually grade. This would be fraudulent?

Does this have anything to do with that whole "prudent" man stuff?

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-03-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 AM
keith janosky

I would think they went with Heritage because of reputation they have and how big and experienced they are and if they told me I could get close to a million for these cards and only got 250,000 I think I would be a little disappointed even though it was money i didn't have. Would have made me think I should have gone elswhere. I would have trusted there knowledge of the market when they told me I could get a million. Always factors that dictate what something will sell for but the gap between a million and 250 is not even close. Still a nice chunk of money they never had

Last edited by keithsky; 08-03-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 AM

Default Estimate a little fanciful?

The estimate I saw in the paper (a national press release) was that the lots had an estimate of about $500,000 total, and that the bidding on these lots reached $566,000. One million seems an out of line estimate to me. In the long run I think the family did good, as long as they time the release of future lots/singles in a way that will maintain interest in this incredible find.

Brian
Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 AM

I think they did it the right way. It was honest. For what it is worth, the three lots sold for about a half a million. The Wagner was $238k with juice, the set was over $280k with juice, and the other lot went for over 40k with juice. Those numbers were about what I expected given what is lined up behind them. Still impressive! The other factor is Heritage got a ton of press due to the enormity of the find which would not have happened if they slowly leaked them. It is hard to know how that will impact all this in the short and long term. The bottom line in my book is that it was the honest way to do it.
JimB
Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 AM
JimRoss
Banned

"fraudulent not to disclose the material fact of other high grade E98s in their possession when trying to sell purportedly "low pop" cards."???

That's a fraudulent act??? yeah right! Come on!!!!

If u have three Honus Wagner signed t206 and want to sell one, I am 100% certain u wouldn't want to tell people u have two more to sell later.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
No one can possibly believe this family is happy after last night.
Well, this is not entirely true - I believe this family could be happy after last night. There is such a thing as not being consumed by greed. There are families, and there are people, that still have this type of character and perspective.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by npa589; 08-03-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
Well, this is not entirely true - I believe this family could be happy after last night. There is such a thing as not being consumed by greed. There are families, and there are people, that still have this type of character and perspective.

One is not "consumed by greed" if they're led to believe their cards are worth a million bucks and they only see 240K, comeon. You can't possibly blame them for being unhappy about the auction.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post

then they could have just given the cards away then, i would have taken one.

there were 20 members of this family. their cadillac turned into a used hundai.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
When I spoke with the executor of the estate one of his main concerns was for transparency with this find. He made it very clear to me that he didn't want hobbyists to get burnt by releasing some cards very slowly. I thought that was very classy of him and it was indicative of our conversation and the way the family is. I believe they were happy with the bidding where it was when the live bidding opened. Sure, everyone hopes to get more for the valuables but there are actually some kind and good people in this world. I wish our hobby was so nice sometimes. Sometimes it's not about going for the jugular it's about doing the right thing.

that is awesome to hear.
very cool perspective they had - and nice of them to want transparency.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Absolutely agree.
Closed Thread