NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
No, most of the good stuff isn't graded.

No, an old collector doesn't need slabs to know his cards are legit, or for protection.

Before Mr. Carter decided to sell his cards, did he have any good ones and were they graded. No and no... And there are a few hundred more Mr. Carter's out there who know more than the graders and have no use for grading.
That's because Lionel Carter was born in 1918 and started collecting cards in 1933 before slabs and computers were invented.

Had Carter been born in 1982, all his cards would have been slabbed and on the PSA registry.

Fact.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
That's because Lionel Carter was born in 1918 and started collecting cards in 1933 before slabs and computers were invented.

Had Carter been born in 1982, all his cards would have been slabbed and on the PSA registry.

Fact.

I politely disagree. Nothing against PSA but knowing of how Lionel collected he would have used BVG's authentication only service, without numerical grades, to protect his cards. He collected cards and I don't think he would have collected plastic. And saying something is "fact" as you did shows a lack of understanding.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:28 AM

Default Lets get some numbers on the table

So with all these varied opinions of ours, who is willing to step up to the plate and make an educated guess as to actual tangible numbers? I listed 5 random cards in earlier thread with approx PSA pops in 5+ condition grade.

Question: How can we use these figures to extrapolate some actual surviving copies of these cards in legit PSA 5 and higher - that are not encapsulated? I started with a multiple of 5. Too high? Too low?

Do you folks really think there could be 1,500 legit 1949 Bowman Paige's (PSA 5+ equivalent) sitting around in collections by folks that refuse to get them graded?

The coin industry (PCGS company) has already attempted this "survival" for coins a) of all graded, b)mint only coins. Go check out PCGS web and check out their coin "survival" rates. Will PSA or SGC ever try to duplicate this survival estimate like PCGS does with coins?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
The coin industry (PCGS company) has already attempted this "survival" for coins a) of all graded, b)mint only coins. Go check out PCGS web and check out their coin "survival" rates. Will PSA or SGC ever try to duplicate this survival estimate like PCGS does with coins?
I think one of the inherent problems with translating this to the card industry is that there are probably very well kept records in regards to US circulation numbers regarding coins. So extrapolating a "survival" number for a coin can be accomplished. We know how many were produced/minted and how many have been graded, so pulling together numbers is pretty straight forward.

But in the card industry production numbers, especially for vintage pre-war cards are non-existent. We have no idea how many were produced. When you you don't know how many were produced and distributed, coming up with a "survival" number is impossible.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM

Default The T206 Wagner

Look at our hobbies most iconic card - the T206 Wagner.

How many (legit copies) are still out there ungraded in someones collection that has no want to sell, and no desire for their T206 Wagner to be encapsulated? Double current pops? Triple? 5 times current pop figures?

Seems like an event for celebration and national news worthy story whenever one beater is discovered on rare occasion ever few years. But a PSA 5+ T206 Wagner ungraded - just can't imagine a whole lot exist.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Look at our hobbies most iconic card - the T206 Wagner.

How many (legit copies) are still out there ungraded in someones collection that has no want to sell, and no desire for their T206 Wagner to be encapsulated? Double current pops? Triple? 5 times current pop figures?

Seems like an event for celebration and national news worthy story whenever one beater is discovered on rare occasion ever few years. But a PSA 5+ T206 Wagner ungraded - just can't imagine a whole lot exist.
Most of the better examples of the t206 Wagner are un-graded. Everyone knows that. I'm surprised you don't, considering that you think you know enough to post in a thread like this.

Also, many cards are consigned to auction companies raw. The auction house will submit them to grading companies if they feel it will maximize profit. This is why all good cards in the catalog are graded.

On another note, I was born in 1980 and I think stabbing cards is totally lame, I tried it and don't like it. So I don't think you can state "facts" about what other collectors will do if they were doing their thing at a different time.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 AM

Default tough chat with you folks

I have been asking, "how many do you think" type questions - not many tangible responses from all you folks in the know, just a lot of jabs at me.

sorry - just trying to have an informative chat - guess I don't know very much
Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Bill T.

Default Lets get specific

I've been collecting since the early 80s. At the time (pre-Internet and eBay) I picked up cards at shows, from collectors, and through ads in the trade papers.

I bought things that were in the intersection between what I was interested in, what appealed to me, and what I could afford. At that time, type cards weren't all that hot--e135s, anyone?--so you could get high-quality cards for not much money. I took advantage of that.

In the years since, I've paid to have exactly three cards graded--an SGC 70 Buchner (for protection), and a couple '54 Topps (because they were nice but didn't fit my interests any more and I thought I could get more for them in slabs). My other cards rest in penny sleeves inside top-loaders. They'll probably stay that way until it's time for my heirs to break everything up.

There are two main reasons for me leaving things ungraded. First, I've learned enough about cards that I have my own opinions as to quality. Second, would I rather spend $500 to have a pile of cards graded, or to buy more cards? Duh. Some folks would prefer to have their cards graded. I've seen pics on here of wonderful displays of graded cards.

I have what some folks here would call an "armpit" collection, but I do enjoy it. Multiply me by many times, and you do get quite a few high-quality cards that are in collections but not slabbed.

Then there are the items that aren't in collections yet. Think of the "finds" from the last few years: Skydash's incredible group of Colgans, the Oregon Old Judges, etc. They all ended up in slabs. I do believe that this trend will lead to a greater and greater proportion of "good" cards ending up in slabs.

Question for those among us who prefer that their cards breathe freely: Are your convictions so strong that you'll insist that the cards be sold unslabbed after you're gone?

Just one perspective,

Bill
Old 06-15-2012, 11:30 AM

I have several pretty nice complete sets 205, 206 minus Big 4, 207, 212-1, 212-2, T212-3 and T212-4, etc which are all ungraded. I slab all my caramels, post 1919 cards and T210s but I have many unslabbed sets and some of those cards would grade very highly. To say most of the nice pre-war cards are graded is just wrong.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default My cards

I'm a VERY insignificant collector, but probably not out of the ordinary. I have a complete T205 set (208 cards), with only one graded card (Cicotte). My guess is that there are many collectors with similar numbers to that...

Take Care,
Geno