NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Default About soaking cards

Posted By: Rich Klein

Old 12-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Someone rebacked an E Wagner with a T206 back. It was proven to be a fake; I am not sure if it was soaked but they did determine that i was a rebacked card.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

I thought it was either a brown or a red Hindu with a front that was not possible with the front. Someone will know for sure.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn Parson

I am astonished at the sure stupidity of some of the posters on the psa board. They honestly think PSA is catching all of this doctoring. They (PSA) have no clue anymore. I have talked to several card doctors and they all have told me how easy it now is to get bad cards through. I have been a psa submitter since 1992 but I will not buy anything for my own collection in a psa holder unless I can hold it in my hand before paying. I've known Dave Forman for a long time, about 15 years now, and I know he is far more knowledgable then everyone at PSA combined. Their is actually a moron on those boards singing the praises of Joe Orlando as such a great card expert. He was at best a midlevel collector before working for psa, and he can be lucky Baker and Rocchi left or he would be a no name still. There is also a buffoon (sp?) that keeps stating how stupid the collectors on this board are. I dont post often on either board but know that the people over here know a He11 of a lot more about cards and what is really going on out there then the bulk of the PSa board posters.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I was told more than once that the founders of this hobby used to soak T206's and other cards out of scapbooks by throwing them in bath tubs full of water and letting them float up. I'm sure most of the paste came off also. If this practice was deemed ok by the founding fathers, why is such a stink being made of it by collectors 60-70 years later? You going to tell Jefferson Burdick (if he was alive) that he's a card doctor and what he did was wrong? Just because the value has increased and there are criminals doing other things to the cards to increase doesn't mean that soaking paper or glue off is a crime too. Collecting habits and preserving cards practices have vastly improved from scrap books. Actually the paper is far more harmful to the card if left on than removed. If left on the acids in the old paper and cardboard will eat away the card, virtually destroying it over time. You are not altering by removing it, you are preserving it in its original statefor many generations to come. Just think off all the T206 PSA 7's and 8's that floating up to the top of that bathtub. You might thank them for their handy work, instead of standing on your soapbox and preaching drivel. Water does not change the structure of a card.

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Bob,

I meant by my statement that the high end psa 8 and above cards are making up an increasing amount of the dollar volume of cards sold--and this percentage is growing dramatically.

In fact it has grown by so much that nrmt-mt cards are the majority of the hobby from a dollar volume perspective(in my opinion). Virtually everything in the major auctions is psa 8 or better. At major shows tables are dominated by psa 8 and better stuff. So much so that the high grade material and the high grade collector has become the backbone of the hobby.

I realize this board is dominated by low-mid grade ungraded collectors--fine to disagree--I welcome it--just no personal attacks please.

Jim

Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Perhaps Bobby could quantify this with an actual number, but I would venture to guess that the weekly volume and dollar amount of low to mid-grade cards sold on eBay would come pretty close to the total annual volume and dollar amount of high-grade material sold by any single auction house. I'd bet that within the first quarter of the year, eBay sells more dollars in low and mid-grade vintage material than all the auction houses combined sell in high-grade cards in an entire year. I'd be shocked if I were off-base in that guess.

There are, of course, a number of auction houses that specialize in high-grade material. But, for example, the last REA auction had a low-grade Baltimore News Ruth and T210 Jackson that sold for more money combined, I believe, than all the high-grade material in that auction.

I respect what you collect, Jim, and think your collection is outstanding and your passion for the hobby is equal to just about anyone else I've met. But the market for low and mid-grade material is just not something that you watch closely, I don't think. It's an enormous market, and growing by the year, it seems.

-Al

Old 12-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Al,

You might be right--just seems to me that in dollar volume sold high end cards are the majority of the hobby.

You're right about me not following low-mid grade but I do follow over a hundred sets in high grade.

Also keep in mind that one psa 8 common in a set could equal 50-100 f-g ungraded cards(or more).

Old 12-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The price disparity between a PSA-8 card and the same one in good or very good condition is so great that there really is no reason to compare them. They are apples and oranges. The only similarity is each has a picture of a baseball player on it.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Administrator

It's an interesting debate, I think. I try and envision what the hobby would be like if the bottom fell out of either segment, and I think they're both so interdependent that I think either way, it would hurt the hobby.

I really do think they feed off one another. If the price of an 8 goes through the roof, it pulls up the price of a 5. A good example of that is with Goudeys, I think. If demand for midgrade cards is strong, it pushes up demand for higher grades. T3s are a good example of that.

I think when you get into more modern issues, things may change a bit. Condition scarcity is less of an issue, and so mid-grade 1950s and 60s common cards don't have a ton of value.

Ultimately I don't know that you can point to any one segment of the hobby and call it the "backbone." There are so many offshoots and segments, so many different ways to collect, and not any one "right" or "wrong" way, it's tough to tell.

One thing I know for sure: whatever cards I'm buying are very hot, and prices are very strong. Whatever cards I'm selling are very cold, and prices are very weak. That's about the only thing I can bank on.

-Al

Old 12-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Barry,

I was attempting to justify my point that the low-mid grade collector is becoming less important to the hobby in general.

I think the way to measure this is dollar volume of cards sold and I think psa 8 and better cards account for the majority and are growing very rapidly.

Jim

Old 12-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Jim,
I have never had the pleasure of meeting you, but respect your collection as well as your passion for the hobby. I do believe you underestimate the number of collectors in the VG-EX range that are the backbone of the hobby.
I don't have as many PSA 8'S AND 9'S as you do, but I have been collecting vintage cards for 30 of my 38 years and will put my rare back collection up against anyone, including Heitman. I don't mean to brag or show off, because it's not my nature, but most of the people on this board will never own a PSA 8 or better and they really don't care, all they want is a forum of like collectors who enjoy there passion. I think you are one of those people, but your comments don't show that sometimes.

You have a great collection that everyone would be proud of, so enjoy it and share it with the board.

Be well to all Brian

Old 12-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Ok I gave in a read this whole thing. I am a third generation collector and I still have a good chunk of my Grandfathers cards that he opened right from the packs in the 30's and 40's and most of the other cards he got in trade from other hobby pioneers. Many collections we bought where placed in scrapbooks back in the day, hell Cracker Jacks, American Caramel, Goudey and Topps had ones you buy to PASTE them in. Half the fun of getting those old collections was trying to get the cards out in good shape and preserve them. There was no fraud in that nor did anyone card about it either. I guess there is a fine line of wait is universally accepted, accepted but not said out loud, and just plan out restoration. I for one believe that card soaking is ok in my book. Plus if you can't tell it was done then how would you know it was done at all?

Just my 2¢ (Man all of these ¢'s are going to add up )

Trevor

Old 12-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Jim- I think the low to middle grade collector is alive and well and here to stay. The PSA-8 collectors are an elite group with a lot of money to spend on baseball cards. Nothing wrong with that, but 98% of the vintage collectors work within a budget and just can't afford them. When I collected many years ago I always went after the best grade I could. In those days an excellent card might cost $10 and a NR MT card might cost $20. Today, the gap has widened so that most collectors couldn't even aspire towards PSA-8. They can better allocate their available funds by buying more cards in middle grade. And I have to disagree with you and say that this group is the backbone of the hobby. The PSA-8 collectors may spend alot, but they are just a tiny percentage of the vintage crowd.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Jim,

I don't want to attack your theory that: low-mid grade collector is becoming less important to the hobby in general, but that is truly absurd to me.

There are more of "us" then "you" and don't you think there are hundreds who have the funds to drive the price up, while ten's and ten's of thousands who bring attention to the lower condition items? I wouldn't be surprised if the big dollar collectors represent 5% of the overall purchases.

I agree that by pulling up the 8's, it also pulls up the 5's. It's all about collecting tiers (stairs) to what you can afford to collect and enjoy.

You take for instance the T206 Mike Donlin Fielding. There are three PSA8's in existence according to the PSA registry. None higher. So that's at least a $4,000+ card because of the Registry, right? After all, how many Donlin's exist? Fifty thousand (?), but PSA has only graded 54 of them (from PSA4-8)? How many 8's exist in binders? How many 7's are graded 8's? How many 7's should be 8's?

Jim, notice my civil pattern? Far from what you accuse of me adding to tiresome threads, right? Outside of one thread toward you (which I apologized), I have been civil with you and basically disagreed with you... which is my right.

DJ

Old 12-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Barry,

I agree that most people here collect low grade--I am talking about the hobby in general.

I think you are missing the majority of the hobby dollar wise.

Nobody said there was not a large group of passionate collectors who collect lower grade stuff-my point was they were becoming less important to the hobby in general, that psa 8 and better makes up over half of the dollar market and it is likely to grow in the future and that the high grade collector was becoming the "backbone of the hobby".

Brian,

I have a passion--I want to collect over 150 vintage and semi- vintage sets in psa 8 or better. I love every card I have--know a lot about most of my cards and the players. I try to add value here when I can.

Jim

Jim

Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Administrator

DJ,

Fair point. But I think you are orders of magnitude off in your percentages. I think the baseball card collecting hobby is now over 50% 8 and better dollar volume--if we asked the major show dealers and auction houses it would be substantially overr 50%--the only question as Al says is does ebay offset this?

Jim

Old 12-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Jim:

Can you show us your source when you say the PSA 8 collector makes up half the dollars in the hobby? I simply can't believe it, and would put the number at closer to 5-10%, if I had to guess. If you've got a hard number to prove me wrong, I'll eat one of my '38 Goudeys.

Provided I can soak it first.

-Al

Old 12-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Jim- you won't make a lot of friends on this board if you say the mid-grade collector is becoming unimportant, because that is how virtually everyone here collects. And I know the amount spent on PSA-8 material is huge, but that is because the cost of each of those cards is so great. This kind of reminds me of a well known joke:

50 men are sitting in a bar and to pass the time they decide to figure out their average net worth. Just as they are finishing Bill Gates walks in and orders a beer. They quickly recalculate their figures and determine that each on average is now a billionaire.

The point is that because a small group of buyers spends a disproportionate amount of money on high grade cards it greatly skews the average. Even if less than half the hobby money was spent on PSA-2 to PSA-4 it might still represent 98% of the collectors. There are just different ways to view the numbers.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

So if Warren Buffett spends $500 million on a PSA4 T210 Joe Jackson will that make PSA4 Collectors the new "backbone" of the hobby?

Old 12-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Hey Jim,

I will say in my eyes you are missing what people are trying to say about this hobby. The vintage card hobby for the most part dose not look at there cards as manly cash value or a potential increase of value. I believe that most collectors wish that these cards where worth a lot less so they could afford more cards. I do know these cards cost so much to obtain today it is hard not to think about what they are worth or how much to budget, but at the end of the day we just love the way they look, the history of the game and how they got into our little hands. Some want the best condition they can afford, some just want one of each for a set, or one to fill in a type. At the end of the day to think this hobby is defined on how much money which type of collector is willing pay to in hobby is quit sad. I do know you have a ton of passion for this hobby, I can tell, but to make it so concentrated on the $ amount which type of collector is spending doesn't sound right. I hope this hobby has not turning that way.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Al,

If you started with the major auctions and calculated how much of their dollar value is high end cards, you would get a very high percentage psa 8 and better.

Then if you calculated the total sales of the largest show dealers you would get a very high percentage psa 8 and better.

Even the hated ebay does a lot in psa 8 and better cards.

What am I missing in your opinion?

Barry,

I'm not your typical guy on this board--really don't care about making friends. I am on the board to learn more about vintage cards, exchange ideas and if I am lucky recently to galvanize change in the hobby when it comes to card alteration.

Dan,

No--but if you asked any of the major dealers or auction houses how important 8 and better cards are to them it would be the vast majority. You can only be a backbone in my opinion if you make up a majority of the hobby.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Trevor,

Good points and I see where you are coming from.

I do think that people who have a lot of money tied up in their collection care about the value of it. These people have just as much passion for the hobby as a guy who collects p-f cards.

When people talk about the hobby and collections they talk about about Fogel and Louchios and Merkel and Spence and when people talk about most dealers it is Mastronet and Memory Lane and SCP and Mile High--this is a huge part of the hobby--there are tons of collectors collecting 50s, 60s, 70s--the vast majority of this high grade.

Not knocking the low grade collector--just saying that from a number of perspectives he is becoming a less important part of the hobby.

Jim

Old 12-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator

No, see Jim I think this is where you are mistaken. For every Fogel, Louchios, Merkel and Spence there are 10 for each one of those great collectors who spend just as much if not more on P to ExMt cards. It's just hard to know when so many private deals happen on these semi rare to rare collections that never run through the auction circuit. I do think you are very knowledgeable to all the $ amounts being spent in the high grade card market but when it comes to raw and lower grade cards you are missing the mark. But like I said it really shouldn't matter who is spending wait, it should just matter that well all love the same cards, high grade or low. We should all hold the same respect for each kind of collector because we all love the same thing.

Trevor

Old 12-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: greg

"Not knocking the low grade collector--just saying that from a number of perspectives he is becoming a less important part of the hobby."

What a pitiful sad remark.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

A pitiful misguided fool that has no idea what he is talking about.

Scott

Old 12-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McHugh

Well in terms of high grade low grade here is my take. Besides a few of the mainstream sets ie. t206 etc. most of the sets collected by members on this board do not exhist in high grade. Heck just try to compleate a t207 or an m101-5 set in any grade very very tough to do. I can walk into the national and start from scratch and put together a 1958 topps set in psa 8 before the show is over-4 days. An m101-5 set may take you 4 years to finish and it will not be in psa 8 because you can not find non exhistent cards. So really apples are being compared to oranges. Everyone should enjoy what they collect that is the backbone of the hobby.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

edited to be nicer...

Old 12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

I do have to leave for a bit tonight so I don't want to seem like I am ducking out of this good conversation. But what really matters here is a little respect for everyone including Jim. I also believe that the backbone of the hobby is the 11-16 old kids buying there first T206 because heck when we are gone they are the ones that are going to have the disposable income to buy our little pieces of cardboard joy

Trevor

Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Administrator

You hit on the head Trevor. The average collector who collects cards, why do they have to know who Fogel, Louchios or Merkel are?

They just spend their $30 on a creased card and proudly add it to their collection. I bet 95% of the collectors have no idea who they are, which is basically the collector's who support low grade cards. Of course "the backbone" knows who they are.

The way I look at this Forum is a community...and you don't care if you make friends? I look forward to meeting the people behind these words in the future. Barry. Scott B. Moderator. I can't wait to get Wonka to sign some of his original art for me!

A person completes a T206 set and everyone on the VBC Forum congratulates them on the feat.

Jim, look at the Pick up thread sometime. Almost all are off condition cards that go into a loving collections and people congratulating them on their pickups. People proudly displaying their latest purchases. Nobody ever asks how much they paid for the item. The price doesn't for the most part matter to the VBC Forum collecting group.

DJ

edit: mad typo mistake

Old 12-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Jim has earned his disrespect, it comes from his arrogant, pompous, ill informed and condescending comments(did I leave any out?) to the majority of the collectors on this board.

Further he has now stated that he is not here to befriend any of the other collectors. Apparently he believes alienating them from the upper echelon of PSA 8 collectors will be for the betterment of the backbone of the hobby.

Scott

Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Trevor,

Couldn't agree more.

Scott,

Can you have an intelligent debate without constantly insulting me or is it beyond you?
Here is a hint--if you have nothing intelligent to say or to add to the conversation be quiet.

Thanks to those who thought it was an interesting discussion--if Scott follows his last pattern he will keep insulting me so if anyone wants to continue the debate please e--mail me.

Jim

Old 12-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Jim, I really don't understand why, but you are not listening to what people are saying to you. I (apparently along with many other people) just don't believe you when you say that more than half the vintage market action is tied up in PSA 8 or better(over and over and over...). You keep saying this as if you have stats to back it up, if you do, I (along with others) would love to see them. However, it seems that if you tell yourself something enough times, you start to believe it. Prove to all of us that you are right and we will let you be, but until then don't keep saying PSA 8's are more than 50% of the marketplace. Like others if you can prove it, I will be the first to eat crow.

-Rhett (one of the dying breed of PSA/SGC 1-7 collectors)

Also, regardless of the $$ involved, why would lower grade collectors become less important when they are admittedly still the majority (in numbers). Is the $$ being exchanged really the true measure of importance?

Old 12-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Administrator

DJ,

To each his own. i enjoy participating but being friends is not important to me. If you make some friends here wonderful.

As far as the attacker as Ronald Reagan would say--"there you go again". Try to say something intelligent scott.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Rhett,

Neither of us can prove it but if we were to add up the auction totals or ask large intage dealers what percentage of their sales are psa 8 or sgc 88 or better it would be an overwhelming percentage I'm sure.

Jim

Old 12-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator

I am laying it out for you exactly as you type it. I have no problem calling you out on it. If you can't say anything nice about the collectors and their collections on this board just shut up and quit telling us that PSA 8's are the backbone of the hobby and all the nonsensical horse **** that you try to back it up with.

AGAIN so you can clearly understand, I and most of the other participants on this board do not care about your 150+/- PSA 8 sets. We all know they cost you a lot of money, but that's not the focus here.

If you truely want to learn about vintage cards, just quit typing and begin reading all the threads. There are many informational and exceptionally well done research threads on the front page right now, along with many others available by searching. BUT, I already know they won't interest you as none will have the sacred 8's you seek.

Scott

Old 12-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

Leon,

I think if you take a 30,000 foot view of Jim's comments on this board, it is fair to say he is talking about issues relating to collecting high grade cards mostly from the 50's, 60's, etc. His comments consistently point us in a direction that has nothing to do with pre-war cards. Obviously, this is not what this board is for, and I think that is a big part of the frustration with Jim on this board. My opinion is that this type of O/T behavior should be banned. I've seen plenty of others come on to the board with such O/T behavior who have been told to cease and desist.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Colt,

I am talking about the entire hobby--not just pre-war. Pre-war is an important part though. You just are sticking up for your dealer friends who may be altering cards.

Scott,

I never talk about all my psa sets on the board--sorry.

And I do read most threads and I have learned a lot.

Other than that I will be happy to debate you point by point if you get off the hate Jim kick.

I respect everyones collection equally. Collect what you like. I like pre-war cards--so do you--I like them in 8 or better--you don't.

I can co-exist with people--people must agree with you or you go into a personal attack. A lot of people think its an interesting topic--if you don't fine--can't you just debate intelligently or not comment?

Jim

Old 12-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Jim, we never said anything about the $$ sold by the largest dealers, you talked about total sales of vintage cards. Also, enough of this "i'm sure" and "in my opinion" stuff. Basically, all of that is meaningless. I could say in my opinion the sky is purple, but it would still be a lie. Give us facts or quit talking.
-Rhett

Old 12-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

Jim,

My comment was for Leon not for you. This is just further evidence that you are not reading these posts carefully and with an eye towards what people are trying to say. You are here with your own agenda, and it does not mesh with the purpose of this board. If you are really here to learn, then you should be reading the posts, not writing them.

To make it clear for you - TAKE YOUR AGENDA SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Just food for thought... If you think about sales being roughly equal (in #'s) amongst all grades proportionatly. (Ex. If for a particular card 10 cards exist as PSA 8's and 100 exist as 3's, if 30% were sold each year 3 PSA 8's, and 30 PSA 3's would have been sold)

Jim, if this is true are you basically saying that all cards graded 8, 9, or 10 would be more valuable than the existing cards graded 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and all ungraded cards combined? If so, I think this argument may very well be the dumbest that the board has ever had.
-Rhett

Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Rhett,

Now now--talking about transactions in a given year.

Tell me--give me %s psa 8 and better in auctions, how about show dealers, how about ebay and what each account for of total market?

Jim

Old 12-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

for someone who says they respect everyone equally, statements like "the low midgrade collector is becoming a less important part of the hobby" goes COMPLETELY against showing even the most modest amount of respect.....Not many people enjoy being told they are "less important". Typically not much of a term of respect. PSA8's are great. Beautiful cards. Maybe trimmed, soaked, whatever, but VISUALLY beautiful. It's great to see a lovely 1970 Milton Bradley set in PSA8. I would not, under any circumstances pay WAZOO prices for 1970 Milton Bradley's in PSA8 just to have another PSA8 set. Just not my bag. Fortunately for PSA and the registry gods, people do. And that's their right. Just like collecting psa3-5 complete T206 sets that MANY people on this board do.

The one thing that most people on this board can hang their hat on by collecting mid grade cards is if there's ever a fall in cards the folks hanging their hats on 8's and 9's will have a lot farther to fall than those with the 4's, 5's and 6's. When you pay 400% more for an 8 than what you'd pay for a 5 or 6 or even 7, that creates a great deal of gap. The pop reports bear that out and the market bears it. But it might not forever.

Wish you luck........

Old 12-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Jim, I don't think it is a streatch to think that the # of cards in each grade are sold proportionately to their populations. Do you have information that would say otherwise?

IF cards are sold proportionately to their populations, it isn't a big stretch to think that adding up values (or sales) of the cards in 8 and above then comparing to values (or sales) of cards with grades 7 and below (raw also included in this group) and saying a similar proportion (in # of cards) within each group are sold each time period (be it a decade, a year, etc.) would be a indication of "market".

-Rhett

Old 12-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I keep hearing Auction house sales and high dollar cards. I'm sorry to disapoint you, but if you took a poll of Pre War collectors, 95% of the backbone of the hobby haven't ever bid on Auction House cardsnor will they ever be able too. 98% of all sales of pre war cards are funneled through e-bay. I don't have proof of the %'s but I bet I'm pretty close and that my friend Jim is the backbone of a hobby. The everyday run of the mill $200 a week x 50,000 strong population of collectors. Not the 10 people that keep trading high dollar card back and forth between them. Just call me Mr.Backbone from now on.

Football has sky boxes filled with people with unlimited dollars, but the 80,000 common folk in the $50 seats are the backbone of the game. Don't ever kid yourself. If the common folk lose interest in the hobby, you won't have to worry about backbones any more because you'll be able to acquire all the cards you want for free. All they will be is what they were meant to be, pieces of cardboard with pictures on them.

They call me Mr "Tater Salad" Backbone.

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Administrator

I could see how, if one spent a big portion of his card budget on major auctions, one would think that 8s and higher are the backbone of the hobby.

I just spent about an hour going through Mastro's last auction, card by card, separating sales of PSA/SGC/and even Global (although they hardly count, I understand) 8s and higher from everything lower. I got to about $1.4 million in high grade stuff, $1.4 million in lesser grade stuff, and then I started messing up and accidentally zeroed out my calculator while I was in the middle of the hockey cards.

Damn hockey cards.

Anyway, I think that it's important to consider the venue. That Mastro auction, or some of the others Jim mentioned in an earlier post, are primary sales channels for high-grade single cards or high-ranking registry sets. If that's what you looked at to gauge the hobby, I can see how you'd get the impression that the NM-MT cards are dominating the hobby.

It's kinda like, if Carvel and Dairy Queen were the only restaurants in my town, I would probably think that the whole world ate nothing but ice cream.

The reality is that it's 12:40 PM EST and in the time it's taken me to add up all those Mastro figures, there have been hundreds and hundreds of ungraded or low-mid grade cards sold on eBay. It's a 24-hour, 7-day marketplace that's always happening, with items closing virtually every minute of every day.

Add to that the fact that many of the auction houses (like Mastro above) have midgrade sales that are roughly equal to high-grade sales, and many more have midgrade sales that eclipse high-grade sales, and it's pretty clear to me that in terms of total dollars, the low and midgrade stuff are still driving the bulk of the sales and volumes in the hobby's secondary market.

Yes, the high-grade stuff will always outpace everything else in terms of pound-for-pound sales - an SGC 88 card will always sell for a significant premium over an SGC 60 - but I look at it this way:

Is Neiman-Marcus the backbone of the retail world? No. Wal-Mart is. Target is. Neiman-Marcus may offer a higher-end product for a different type of discriminating buyer, but Wal-Mart appeals to a larger demo. What's really cool is that I can walk into a Neiman-Marcus AND a Wal-Mart, buy stuff in both stores, and then come home and soak them, stretch them, trim them and resell them on eBay to BOTH types of people.

-Al

Old 12-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Perfect, Al.

Is Neiman-Marcus the backbone of the retail world? No.

Wal-Mart is. Target is.

DJ

Old 12-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Old 12-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

I say we give Jim a break. He just finished reading "How To Win Friends And Influence People" by Bruce Dorskind and is trying to put into action the valuable lessons he's just discovered.

-Ryan

Old 12-15-2006, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Gee, just think, this all started with a question about whether or not a g/vg Zeenut could be soaked to remove back paper

Jim- I am going to end my part of the discussion by saying that you are confusing "the hobby" with the "the investment." The backbone of those with investment portfolios might be you and the Dorskinds of the world, but to me the backbone of "the hobby" run the gamut from the Barry Sloates, Steve Murrays, Tim Newcombs, Mike Peichs, Max Weders, Ted Z.s, Franks and the older guys (of which I qualify) down to the young guys on this board who are so great because of their passion for card collecting, who have made me thrilled that he hobby continues to get stronger even though older collectors near the sunset years. I looked on this board to see the names of who has posted who felt rankled at your statements of what constituted the backbone of the hobby and it is a veritable "who's who" of prewar collectors.
I would love it if the value of cards in my collection continued to climb but on the other hand, I would also be happy to once again buy vgex E98s for $75. I say that because I flat love the cards, their history and the history of prewar baseball. I've have learned SO MUCH about not only baseball but America by spending time looking up and reading about the guys on these pieces of cardboard. I guess that's where we differ, Jim, I would rather read a book about the 1906 World Series than look up SMRs. I have raw cards in tobacco sets in my collection which I suspect could grade out very highly but I am in no hurry to get them graded. There are a lot of other collectors who feel the same way, so if you think there are only "x" number of high grades cards out there of a particular player, you could be in a very bug shock.
BTW- I don't have any animosity toward anyone who collects or has in his collection high graded cards. Scott Mosley has the best darn E98s anywhere in existence and yet Scott is a helluva nice guy and would never presume to be arrogant or aloof to anyone. I think it is not card envy that has caused so many people here to resent your comments but the attitude in which your comments were delivered.
As my buddy Mike Peisch says "cheers!"
tbob