NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Here's why I think its OK to ding the stars, but not leave negative feedback. By placing a bid, you are basically agreeing to the shipping charge. But, just because you agree to it, doesn't mean you think its reasonable or fair. When leaving feedback, one of the questions asked is 'How reasonable were the shipping and handling charges?' Ebay is asking our opinion. Again, just because you agreed to it, doesn't make it reasonable. Thats what the stars are for - to express our opinion. If its our opinion that the shipping and handling charges were not reasonable, we should say so (by leaving what we feel is an appropriate star rating).

Just my $.02
+1.

That's how I look at it. I have left negative or neutral feedback for shipping when costs are obviously skewed, such as failing to combine shipping, higher shipping costs for an item shipped relatively unprotected. I will say, in my comments, my bid reflects the cost of shipping.

On auction houses, especially those who charge for postage, supplies, handling, etc, I don't bid mch, if at all for many AH these days. In my prior life managing a profit center, many of these descriptive items are actually labor and material costs. I consider this no more than an attempt to increase profitability and, with the A H juice running up to 20%, any explanation is no more than justification for suckers. Just my two bucks worth, which is now $2.60 with S&H.

By the way, I make several purchases from shippers in Japan. Costs are all over the place, but several ship for under three bucks. Food for thought.
...whatever I want

Last edited by drmondobueno; 04-30-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Shipping is just part of the cost of the card. If the card is worth $X to you, you pay up to $X to have it. And part of having it is having it sent to you. Neither the buyer nor the seller should care what the shipping cost is. If you charge $40 for shipping buyers are just going to bid $(X-40) for it. How the cost is distributed between the card and the shipping charge really doesn't matter.

So no, don't leave negative feedback for high shipping charges. Just put in a lower bid than you would otherwise.
I can see it not really mattering much to the seller if he is selling cards but it does matter to the buyer and that is reflected in less purchases, or in my case, zero purchases from those who use Global shipping or have other high shipping fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmondobueno View Post
+1.

That's how I look at it. I have left negative or neutral feedback for shipping when costs are obviously skewed, such as failing to combine shipping, higher shipping costs for an item shipped relatively unprotected. I will say, in my comments, my bid reflects the cost of shipping.

On auction houses, especially those who charge for postage, supplies, handling, etc, I don't bid mch, if at all for many AH these days. In my prior life managing a profit center, many of these descriptive items are actually labor and material costs. I consider this no more than an attempt to increase profitability and, with the A H juice running up to 20%, any explanation is no more than justification for suckers. Just my two bucks worth, which is now $2.60 with S&H.

By the way, I make several purchases from shippers in Japan. Costs are all over the place, but several ship for under three bucks. Food for thought.
Imagine that!

Last edited by irv; 04-30-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Dan Bretta

I feel sorry for the people in other countries who have to deal with Global Shipping and the associated costs, but I still use it because it's the only safe way for ME to send something internationally. I was losing so many packages in customs around the world or just plain getting screwed over by unscrupulous buyers that it was no longer worth it to ship international. Now all I have to do is get it to Kentucky and my part is over.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:03 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I feel sorry for the people in other countries who have to deal with Global Shipping and the associated costs, but I still use it because it's the only safe way for ME to send something internationally. I was losing so many packages in customs around the world or just plain getting screwed over by unscrupulous buyers that it was no longer worth it to ship international. Now all I have to do is get it to Kentucky and my part is over.
+1. Once you get too many packages get "lost" to Canada, you begin to question whether you really want to ship there or not.