NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Curt G

Default Possible eBay Fraud?

Seller has no feedback, this is his only item. If a unsuspecting person were to buy this card, they’d probably be out 25 large. Isn’t this a crime that could be reported? I already reported the listing. Not sure if a post has already been made but just to be sure…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Honus-...sAAOSwHk9eouRy

Thanks,
Curt
"I am sorry to admit it,but I am a baseball player. I don't know how I ever got into such a degrading, sinful business. It is an awful game and the men who play it are sinners, not fit for God-fearing people to associate with."-Bob Unglaub, a self aware ball player.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:23 PM
Rich v@n He$$

$25,000 card. $3.95 in shipping.

Thats just funny.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:47 AM
Lonnie Nagel

But his grandpa was a "very serious card collector"
Old 05-01-2020, 08:43 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I reported it as well

I think it's great to out these idiots and make fun of them here - at the same time as doing our part and reporting them to Ebay.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:34 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

It's clear to see he definitely put in work on this reprint. There are attempts to reproduce paper loss and tobacco stains, along with the cut corners as if the card was once part of an old-timey paper album book. The perfect centering is the most obvious red flag and indicates this person has zero experience with real T206s.

Still, in the end any buyer would have big hurdles to proving a criminal fraud. We all know which way the wind blows, but can you prove that the person really didn't know it was a reprint? The description was very carefully crafted to avoid just that.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:18 PM
Curt G

I mean, this is a pretty big deal. There’s an actual chance a novice or else could buy this and be duped out of a small fortune!
"I am sorry to admit it,but I am a baseball player. I don't know how I ever got into such a degrading, sinful business. It is an awful game and the men who play it are sinners, not fit for God-fearing people to associate with."-Bob Unglaub, a self aware ball player.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:26 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserCurt View Post
I mean, this is a pretty big deal. There’s an actual chance a novice or else could buy this and be duped out of a small fortune!
if there's anyone out there dumb enough to spend $25K on a card without knowing enough about it recognize authenticity - and from a seller with ZERO feedback; well then - "a fool and his money" holds firm here.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:52 PM
Steve Asmus

+1
Old 05-01-2020, 09:23 PM
Al Stein

Haha he says it's not worth the bother to get the card graded.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 11:51 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
if there's anyone out there dumb enough to spend $25K on a card without knowing enough about it recognize authenticity - and from a seller with ZERO feedback; well then - "a fool and his money" holds firm here.
This is true. However, a crime against a dumb person is just as much a crime as a crime against a smart person.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:35 AM
Curt G

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
This is true. However, a crime against a dumb person is just as much a crime as a crime against a smart person.
My thoughts exactly
Old 05-02-2020, 03:41 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I always had the thought that if you were getting something worth a small fortune for a fraction of the actual value then you are just as guilty. Im sure if it turned out to be real that the buyer isn’t going to sell it and split it with this guy.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:22 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
I always had the thought that if you were getting something worth a small fortune for a fraction of the actual value then you are just as guilty. Im sure if it turned out to be real that the buyer isn’t going to sell it and split it with this guy.
So by that logic: someone who makes a garage sale "find" worth $15,000, tells the seller "these are worth a lot more than that", but still pays $500 for it when the seller insists "that's all I want for these"......that person is just as "guilty" as someone who purposely solicits and then deceives people out of large sums of money?

The same thing happens in card shops occasionally, as I imagine you know as well as anyone. If someone insists you buy their collection for a fraction of what it's worth, even after you've told them the value...if you do, you're just as guilty as a scammer committing a felony? As a customer would be who finds 10 cards still in your $1 box that have gone up to $50 each, and buys them?

I'm glad you don't make any laws

Last edited by cardsagain74; 05-02-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:22 PM
Casey

Too much gray area...if a 10 year old wants to sell me a Ken grieffy jr rookie for a buck at a garage sale, I might feel bad. If old grandma is getting rid of her dead husbands cards at a garage sale for a buck each, I might not feel so bad. Everybody wants to find the Ruth in a shoe box for a buck. Right? Heck I might even be a D**k and offer her .25 cents....

Last edited by Case12; 05-03-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:18 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

If memory serves me right, and it doesn't always, this card has been listed before or at least a similar situation as I remember the comments about his grandpa having it.