NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Jeter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgS1lvqX8I
Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I got goose-pimples...DAMN Yankees!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
That was an awesome commercial. I know this is going to blow up with Jeter haters, but that was well done by Gatorade.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Fantastic.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Chris

Gatorade paying a multi-millionaire to sell more Gatorade. Touching.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default I heard

they tried getting you, but you were unavailable.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Arnie

One of the best done sports commercials of all time. So classic, perfect background song, even Jeter admitted the words to the song were so perfect. Then the looks on the faces of the people meeting Jeter are so incredible, and just everything about this commercial was perfect. Brought tears to my eyes, really.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Jeter is simply the best
"I am an outcast, and I haven't a good name. I'm the loser, just like all gamblers are. I lived to make great plays. What did I gain? Nothing. Everything was lost because I raised hell after hours. I was a wise guy, a know-it-all, I guess."
-Hal Chase
Old 09-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Ruben

Very well made & it almost brought a tear to my eye.
One of the great Yankees of all time. Class act all the way as was Gehrig #4
Old 09-19-2014, 03:47 PM
A.J. Johnson

Even a die hard Red Sox fan has to tip his cap to Jeter and wish he had been a Sox. The guy is definition of class and a great representation of the game. Gatorade hit a home run with that commercial. instant classic
Quote:
Old 09-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Ben Morton

I saw his first career homer on a cold afternoon in Cleveland. Of course the Yanks smacked down the Tribe.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:16 PM

Default That song...

...I like that guy singing in the background...good pipes...
Old 09-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Wow. Some commercial. For all the criticism of Jeter, there was never a single whiff of a scandal with him in two decades.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Eric Perry

Great commercial. Great player. I am not a Yankees fan; however, always thought Jeter was good for baseball.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
...I like that guy singing in the background...good pipes...
Elvis sang it much better.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Bill Gregory

I have tremendous respect for Jeter. Great player, class act. He let his play do all his talking.

But I am Derek Jeter'd out right now. I will watch this in a week or so, but right now, it's media overload. He deserves the admiration, but the media has totally blown it way overboard.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Paul Hawk

I HATE the Yankees, but God Darn if this wasn't perfect for that man. A true good guy. It pains be to say it about a Yankee, but I have to.

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Steve Skibel

People who have enjoyed watching Jeter over that last 18-20 years are excited to honor someone that they cherished as their Yankee captain. He projected himself with class, respect, and honor. What made him special was that he seemed to come through in the clutch in Octobef & November, a very important time in the baseball year. Whether it was a clutch hit or a great fielding play or a cutoff, he had the drive and instincts of a Winner. This was a kid that was raised to Respect the game and treat his competition with this same respect. ( not showing someone up) Today's players and society in general do not show that respect or class in their daily lives. This thread was written to honor him and there are a few of you that showed how classless you are. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it. Those of you that had negative posts should go hang out with Keith O and talk about how each of you have more talent and World Series rings then this loser of a shortstop named Jeter. I guess you are what they call Haters in today's world. You either have class or you don't and you don't. I read a lot of your ignorant posts on Net54 but don't say anything because I respect people's opinions but this was not the thread to rip someone but Honor what they have accomplished. Olberman is a lot like Jim Rome, they put down professional athletes yet they never reached the level of the person they are ripping. Wow Keith you have a T206 Wagner but you weren't even as skilled as Billy Ripken? Well at least you are a F___ F___ above and beyond him. Get a life and keep it positive and treat people like you would like to be treated.

Last edited by Batter67up; 09-23-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Brad Francis

Steve Skibel, I just read the entire thread up to this point and I really don't see what you are complaining about. There is just a lot of praise. Who are you complaining about being negative??
Old 09-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Rich v@n He$$

I hope Steve doesnt venture over to the Adam Dunn thread.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter67up View Post
People who have enjoyed watching Jeter over that last 18-20 years are excited to honor someone that they cherished as their Yankee captain. He projected himself with class, respect, and honor. What made him special was that he seemed to come through in the clutch in Octobef & November, a very important time in the baseball year. Whether it was a clutch hit or a great fielding play or a cutoff, he had the drive and instincts of a Winner. This was a kid that was raised to Respect the game and treat his competition with this same respect. ( not showing someone up) Today's players and society in general do not show that respect or class in their daily lives. This thread was written to honor him and there are a few of you that showed how classless you are. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it. Those of you that had negative posts should go hang out with Keith O and talk about how each of you have more talent and World Series rings then this loser of a shortstop named Jeter. I guess you are what they call Haters in today's world. You either have class or you don't and you don't. I read a lot of your ignorant posts on Net54 but don't say anything because I respect people's opinions but this was not the thread to rip someone but Honor what they have accomplished. Olberman is a lot like Jim Rome, they put down professional athletes yet they never reached the level of the person they are ripping. Wow Keith you have a T206 Wagner but you weren't even as skilled as Billy Ripken? Well at least you are a F___ F___ above and beyond him. Get a life and keep it positive and treat people like you would like to be treated.
Just catching up on the thread. Please excuse any bad language, but Steve's response immediately made me think of this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

No offense meant, I am the same way for Peyton Manning.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 09-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter67up View Post
Olberman is a lot like Jim Rome, they put down professional athletes yet they never reached the level of the person they are ripping. Wow Keith you have a T206 Wagner but you weren't even as skilled as Billy Ripken? Well at least you are a F___ F___ above and beyond him. Get a life and keep it positive and treat people like you would like to be treated.
Ah, the old "if you aren't an athlete/actor/director, you can't criticize the player/movie".

By the same token, do you have the many years of anchoring Sportscenter and a huge gig on MSNBC that it requires to be able to critique Keith Olbermann?
Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Steve Skibel

You can criticize anybody you want to and that is Freedom of Speech. The point I was making is that Derek Jeter does not talk himself up like a Ricky Henderson. it is Olberman's own Media friends that blow him up not Jeter himself. Guys like Mantle and Jeter respected their fellow players and never tried to show them up. Fans are trying to celebrate the career of a classy player and it is sad that people need to take cheap shots. Kinda like a guy that has a 52 Topps Mantle and all his friend is talking about is how off-center it is instead of being happy for his friend.One thing that has grown over the last 10-15 years is arrogance, narcissism and Jealousy. Take it how you want to. If your good, you don't need to talk about yourself, tell people how great you are or put people down. Jeter has never claimed to be the greatest Yankee or thinks he is. He was successful and can't stop the media from over exaggerating things. It is funny how Dan Patrick ripped his ex ESPN partner this morning on his radio show talking about the anger that was shown in his ex partners monologue. I'm just not a fan of Narcisism and Arrogance and people who display these characteristics are not people that I respect. Jealousy brings out the worst in people!

Last edited by Batter67up; 09-24-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:01 AM
octavio ranzola

I was at the game but I agree with bill omg
Old 09-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

I only arrived in the United States in January of 2000, aged 32.
Had never before watched baseball, never collected US sportscards.

In the 4 months I travelled around the USA I watched endless sports, and in April of that year bought my first baseball card.

It was a 93 Pinnacle Jeter.
He just stood out, as champions do.
I have purchased thousands of cards since, and a foil version of Derek has replaced the Pinnacle in my collection, but 13 years later I still remember that card arriving and my falling in love with sportscards.

Thanks Derek Jeter.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 09-26-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Arnie

I have never been so happy that a Yankee reliever blew a save in my life. Talk about fate setting it up for Jeter!!!!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Brian Macdonald

The Onion has a nice retrospective look at Jeter's last couple of seasons.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/der...retires,35253/

edit to note some language may be offensive

Last edited by byrone; 09-26-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: edit to note some language may be offensive