NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
Old Cardboard

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Deb Shattuck

Default Women in Baseball Images Sought

I am working on a book on the history of women baseball players (1866-1909) for the University of Illinois Press. I am looking for never-before published images of women players and teams from this period. If you have any images that you would allow to be published, please contact me. Thank you.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Dan Bretta

Hi Deb, I have a few that you are welcome to use if you want them.

A Methodist/Episcopal church team from Niobrara, Nebraska in 1909.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Dan Bretta

I assume that this postcard is in the public domain now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stlstars.jpg (80.2 KB, 231 views)
Old 11-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Deb Shattuck

Great images, Dan. I am definitely interested in researching the nazi swastika image on the St. Louis Stars card. I have collected quite a few articles on that team and am searching for information on the players and on Gibbs. (The team was based out of Cincinnati, not St. Louis. It was not at all uncommon for Bloomer Girls teams to call themselves after some large city, like Boston or New York, rather than after their own home town.)
Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Deb Shattuck

Default The Methodist/Episcopal church team

I sure wish I understood how this forum works! Would you believe I just now found this response you made to my thread back in Nov 09? Is there some sort of setting I need to make so that I get e-mail advisories when people post to a thread I've started? I do get notices when people respond to responses I've made to other threads or to private messages but I didn't know anyone had responded to my thread. Also, I don't understand how to "subscribe" to threads. Can you explain that?

The photos you sent of the Methodist/Episcopal church team are wonderful! I expect I will use one of them because it represents another type of team I hadn't even considered previously--church teams. Can you tell me anything about the photos? Where did you get them? Are there any names associated with them?

Deb Shattuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Hi Deb, I have a few that you are welcome to use if you want them.

A Methodist/Episcopal church team from Niobrara, Nebraska in 1909.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat5 View Post
I am working on a book on the history of women baseball players (1866-1909) for the University of Illinois Press. I am looking for never-before published images of women players and teams from this period. If you have any images that you would allow to be published, please contact me. Thank you.

Deb, I sent you an email with contact info for someone you might want to talk to.

Jim VB
Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Deb Shattuck

Thanks for the note, Jim. I have contacted the individual you mentioned.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Dan Bretta

Deb, I'm sure you already know this, but the swastika prior to being hijacked by the Nazis was a good luck symbol.

I tried to do a little research on Al Gibbs but couldn't find anything. I wonder if he had anything to do with the Bill Board magazine since you had to write to them to contact the team.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Max Weder

Here's an image of Julia St. Clair, team and date unknown.

Max
Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Joann

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for thinking of me for this thread and passing on my contact info. I've been traveling a ton the past four weeks and not keeping up with anything internet the way I usually do - I def would have missed the thread if you hadn't called it to my attention. Thanks much.

Deb,

I got your email and will try to shoot you a note tonight after work. I'm in DC later this week, so if I don't get it tonight then this weekend for sure. Exciting project. I have dozens of images - some are very common and some I've never seen anywhere else. Great project - very exciting.

Dan,

Cool postcard! Is it actually a postcard, or something else? This is one of the favorite items in my collection - def in the top 3. But it's not a postcard. It's oversized - almost like a premium or something. The image is a very thin piece of paper that is pasted to the card, so I think this is actually the reverse. The picture of the individual player is printed directly on the card, and I think that was originally the front. I really like the individual photo on the front. Where did you get the postcard from?

Will email you later, Deb. And thanks again Jim.

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1905StLouisStarsBack.jpg (61.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 1905StLouisStars0607225.jpg (57.3 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by jmk59; 12-01-2009 at 07:31 AM.