NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Should Selig reverse the call?
Yes 130 50.39%
No 128 49.61%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Barry Sloate

Default Should Bud Selig Overturn Jim Joyce's Call?

There is a groundswell opinion that Bud Selig should make the unprecedented move and award Armando Galarraga a perfect game. What do you think?

This was supposed to be a poll, and I messed it up. Oh well, you can still offer an opinion.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-03-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 AM
pete ullman

i agree.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Barry Sloate

I vote for Selig to set a precedent by overturning Joyce's bad call and giving Galarraga his perfect game. Nobody will be hurt by it. Future situations can be evaluated as they come up.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-03-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 AM
R Dixon

Default Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I vote for Selig to set a precedent by overturning Joyce's bad call and giving Galarraga his perfect game. Nobody will be hurt by it. Future situations can be evaluated as they come up.
I Agree
Old 06-03-2010, 06:12 AM
qualitycards

I agree as well, its the right thing to do
Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Dave

No, bad call but what makes it any different then if it was made in the 3rd inning and not the possible last batter of the game?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Reverse the call!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
No, bad call but what makes it any different then if it was made in the 3rd inning and not the possible last batter of the game?
The difference is that it's THE LAST BATTER OF THE GAME. Meaning that nothing can change if that call is corrected. In the third inning every play has an effect on every other play for the rest of the game.

The better question is, if he proceeds to lose the game after this call is made with another hit and then a bomb to tie it does Bud change anything? Of course not.

I think it's a huge shame, and blame lies with Joyce and the crew chief Darryl Cousins for not getting the call right at the time. Bud can't and shouldn't do anything.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:12 AM
Chris Counts

While reversing the call would set a dangerous precedent under normal circumstances, it wouldn't matter if baseball allowed instant replay to settle disputed calls. The commissioner could solve two problems at once by reversing the call and enacting instant replay at the same time. A few hardliners would grumble, but I believe the vast majority of fans would quickly accept it, just like they do in football. Plus, they already allow instant reply on home run calls ...
Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Leave things as they are. Armando should be remembered for being a class act and someone that should be looked up to by our kids. He will be remembered more if it is not changed then if it is changed. I think this has been handled with great class by all. Baseball is a game by humans lets keep it that way.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 09-19-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Rick P

The commissioner just ruled...the call stands (according to the Associated Press).

Last edited by Oldtix; 06-03-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Barry Sloate

Phil- I'm not sure I should be the one to make that call, although I don't mind trying. I would certainly lean more towards reviewing controversial calls at the end of a game. I don't think what happens in the first inning is as critical as what happens in the ninth (and I admit even that is debatable). I would also permit a manager at least one challenge during the game, similar to what is allowed in the NFL. And I think there is nothing wrong for the umpires to make the decision that they feel in the best interest of the game they need to go to the videotape.

There is no question in my mind that after the call last night they would have taken the initiative to review it, if the rules allowed them. Yes, it would make these painfully interminable games even longer, and I hate that. But I would rather see an extra five minutes added to a game to avoid what happened last night.

And I spent maybe five minutes on this, it certainly needs more time and consideration.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
ErikV

Default MLB Press Release/Statement

Selig played his cards right. As bad a call as it was, he backed the
umpires call. Here's MLB's official statemet from last night's game.
I see instant replay coming soon......

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releas...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Chris Counts

While I disagree with the commissioner's decision, I understand why he made the call and I agree with his right to make it. What I truly can't understand is why this clown is still the commissioner. The sooner baseball dumps Bud, the better ...
Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM

On any other day, baseball fans who want instant replay would be pointing to the horrible call late last night that gift wrapped the Mariners a 2-1 win over the Twins in extra innings due to a blown call on a 3rd out groundball which clearly made it to the shortstop covering for a forceout long before the runner arrived.
As far as Selig's statement, although I am glad he didn't reverse the call, for those of you who wanted it overturned, did you really think slick Bud would do it? Has he ever done one thing right as commissioner? Ever?

Last edited by tbob; 06-03-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
... permit a manager at least one challenge during the game, similar to what is allowed in the NFL. And I think there is nothing wrong for the umpires to make the decision that they feel in the best interest of the game they need to go to the videotape...
Much as we hate the idea of reducing the "human element" and having video review in baseball (it's certainly a mixed bag of success and farce in the NFL and NHL), we think Barry's on to something with that suggestion. There's no "slippery slope" or "Pandora's box" of endless replays and complications, as some have suggested, if a simple one-challenge option (or two -- or three as in the NFL, but surely no more than that) is instituted. Save it for a close call on a big play in the late innings of a close game -- was a tag missed on a rally-killing double play? Was a walk-off homer at the pole fair or foul? -- or waste it if you want on a ball-strike call on a 1-1 pitch to the leadoff batter in the 2nd inning. Manager's choice.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Much as we hate the idea of reducing the "human element" and having video review in baseball (it's certainly a mixed bag of success and farce in the NFL and NHL), we think Barry's on to something with that suggestion. There's no "slippery slope" or "Pandora's box" of endless replays and complications, as some have suggested, if a simple one-challenge option (or two -- or three as in the NFL, but surely no more than that) is instituted. Save it for a close call on a big play in the late innings of a close game -- was a tag missed on a rally-killing double play? Was a walk-off homer at the pole fair or foul? -- or waste it if you want on a ball-strike call on a 1-1 pitch to the leadoff batter in the 2nd inning. Manager's choice.
You want to review balls and strikes now? That's not going to ever happen and it shouldn't. Just a very bad idea.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Barry Sloate

Rick- according to what was announced on the Yankee game this afternoon, the commissioner is not rushing to judgment and will review the play in more detail. That includes interviewing people, whomever they may be. But that may not be the official word.