NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Wayne Walker

Default HOF expansion era ballot

The ballot has been announced

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-r...ideration-2014

I think the three managers get in. I think Miller is deserving and feel he will get in this time. Steinbrenner sure had the "fame," but I don't think he gets the votes yet.

Any thoughts?

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I never got the whole Joe Torre manager thing. I watched him for over a decade manage the Mets, Braves, and Cards. IMHO, he couldn't manage an NL team if his life depended on it. All of a sudden, he is managing the Yanks with a young core of Jeter, Posada, Mo, and Pettite, mixed with Martinez, Williams, Wells, Cone, Fielder, Davis, Brosious, Boggs, Key, etc, etc. He wins 4WS in the first 5yrs and then none in the next 7 while having even more all time players added to his roster.
I guess winning 4 WS in 29yrs managing is pretty good, but I never felt that he got more out of his players than was expected and often got less. Interestingly, LaRussa took over in St L for Torre in 1996 and promptly won the division. The Cards went from 62-81 to 88-74 in one year without significant roster changes that I can recall.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I never got the whole Joe Torre manager thing. I watched him for over a decade manage the Mets, Braves, and Cards. IMHO, he couldn't manage an NL team if his life depended on it. All of a sudden, he is managing the Yanks with a young core of Jeter, Posada, Mo, and Pettite, mixed with Martinez, Williams, Wells, Cone, Fielder, Davis, Brosious, Boggs, Key, etc, etc. He wins 4WS in the first 5yrs and then none in the next 7 while having even more all time players added to his roster.
I guess winning 4 WS in 29yrs managing is pretty good, but I never felt that he got more out of his players than was expected and often got less. Interestingly, LaRussa took over in St L for Torre in 1996 and promptly won the division. The Cards went from 62-81 to 88-74 in one year without significant roster changes that I can recall.
You speak the truth, and there are many who feel that anybody could have managed those Yankee teams. Torre does have a pretty damn good playing career going for him as well, and continues to contribute to the game from MLB offices.

On the flip side of this is the question of whether a manager who benefited from (and possibly accepted or even fostered) steroid usage should be put in while players under him are being held out. Of course, this is a different body of voters.

Interesting questions.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Ted Simmons

I have always had a soft spot for Simmons and the Hall because I think he got shafted when he was initially on the ballot. For that guy, as one of the greatest catchers in history, to get less than 5% his first year on the ballot was an absolute travesty.

That said, I don't really think he deserves to be in the Hall. I just wish he had gotten his due on the ballots in the first place.

If I had a vote, LaRussa and Cox get in, Torre gets in, and Miller gets in. Parker is the closest for the players, but I don't think he quite makes it.

Tom C
Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 AM

I don't see how you can say that about Joe Torre unless you also have a problem with Casey Stengel getting in. In 13 seasons as a non-Yankees manager the highest he ever finished was 5th.

Torre finished first with the Braves in 1982 and won the Western division twice in a row with the Dodgers.

My opinion is Torre is the only HOFer out of the bunch.

Last edited by packs; 11-05-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Nobody should get in. None are worthy. It's obnoxious how we all know and dislike how the Hall is being watered down with lesser talent only to keep giving those lesser talents more opportunities to get in. Ron Santo being the perfect example. How many times was his candidacy vetted? Has to be over twenty times? Seems to be we keep giving players opportunities until those voting forget said player was good enough to be elected in the first place.

And Miller being on the ballot is a joke. He was a labor leader and never set foot on the field. It is bad enough that umps, owners, and commissioners are in.

Putting down the mic and humbly getting off my soap box. I thank you for wasting a minute to read my opinion.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Marvin Miller's candidacy always baffled me. How can he have such a strong case for HOF consideration while Curt Flood is ignored?

Marvin Miller has no legacy without Curt Flood. If Miller is a HOFer for his contributions to baseball then so is Curt Flood.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
Nobody should get in. None are worthy. It's obnoxious how we all know and dislike how the Hall is being watered down with lesser talent only to keep giving those lesser talents more opportunities to get in. Ron Santo being the perfect example. How many times was his candidacy vetted? Has to be over twenty times? Seems to be we keep giving players opportunities until those voting forget said player was good enough to be elected in the first place.

And Miller being on the ballot is a joke. He was a labor leader and never set foot on the field. It is bad enough that umps, owners, and commissioners are in.

Putting down the mic and humbly getting off my soap box. I thank you for wasting a minute to read my opinion.
Speaking as one who believed Santo belonged in the Hall long ago, I vehimently disagree. As you can see with the induction of players like Santo and Blyleven, the Hall recognizes that how players were perceived when they were originally voted on can change over the years. Advanced metrics now show some players, such as Blyleven and Santo, to have been far more valuable than was previously thought. This is the reason for votes such as these.

As for Miller, he is one of the most important figures in the history of the sport. There should be little doubt about that. Yes, Curt Flood took his case to the Supreme Court, but Miller was there with him. Miller effectively ended the reserve clause, and he made the baseball players union into perhaps the strongest in the country. His actions helped lead the game to where it is today financially. Heck. If Bowie Kuhn is in the Hall of Fame but Marvin Miller isn't...???? Seems a bit ass-backwards to me.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 11-05-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post

I almost completely agree with you here, except IMO, I do think Garvey is HOF-worthy. Garvey was one of the most reliable players in the '70s and early '80s. To me, he's just like Mattingly: I don't know why these reliable and productive players have been snubbed. I agree with you on Santo though. Was never really impressed with him.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I have always had a soft spot for Simmons and the Hall because I think he got shafted when he was initially on the ballot. For that guy, as one of the greatest catchers in history, to get less than 5% his first year on the ballot was an absolute travesty.

That said, I don't really think he deserves to be in the Hall. I just wish he had gotten his due on the ballots in the first place.

If I had a vote, LaRussa and Cox get in, Torre gets in, and Miller gets in. Parker is the closest for the players, but I don't think he quite makes it.

Tom C
I feel the same way about Lou Whitaker: is he a HOFer? No, probably not. But to not even make it off the first ballot is insulting.

Also agree: no player on this ballot is a HOFer. I think the 3 managers will make it, but it's hard to see them all get in this year.

Now, if Simmons DOES get in this year, that loud thumping sound you'll hear is me kicking myself in the head. I had a bat of his for probably 10 years, and I just sold it.

Ken
Old 11-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

LaRussa and Cox, or one of the two.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Good point about Billy Martin and his managing ability...your description of turning losers in to winners sounds a lot like Buck Showalter (minus Martin's caustic personality). Will be interesting to see how Buck is regarded, especially if he wins a championship or two in the years to come. So far it seems his teams win right after he leaves for a new project ( see Yanks, DBacks, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:41 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Good point about Billy Martin and his managing ability...your description of turning losers in to winners sounds a lot like Buck Showalter (minus Martin's caustic personality). Will be interesting to see how Buck is regarded, especially if he wins a championship or two in the years to come. So far it seems his teams win right after he leaves for a new project ( see Yanks, DBacks, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point but alot of that could be "front office" Billy was personally grabbing them out of the farm system , and PRISON ! See Ron LaFlore

Stengel had great success but he had Barrow and Weiss

Vintage autographs for sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 11-05-2013, 04:49 PM

Default JimStinson

Anyway ...like it or not ....My picks for who will be inducted will be Tommy John & Joe Torre ..anyone else what to go out on a limb ?...

Vintage autographs for sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I never saw Parker play, but it's hard for me to believe he was better than Keith Hernandez. As a Mets fan during the 80s, I saw him pull off absolutely ridiculous plays day in and day out. If we are putting in guys strictly based on defense, he should definitely be in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I never saw Parker play, but it's hard for me to believe he was better than Keith Hernandez. As a Mets fan during the 80s, I saw him pull off absolutely ridiculous plays day in and day out. If we are putting in guys strictly based on defense, he should definitely be in.

Parker was a SMOOTH operator at 1st base. I saw them both play and Parker was special, FWIW...

As a side note, Wes Parker had a baseball card shop in So Cal for many years that was called Wes Parker's Dugout. I always enjoyed visiting it back in the day when I collected BB cards...
Old 11-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Parker was a SMOOTH operator at 1st base. I saw them both play and Parker was special, FWIW...

As a side note, Wes Parker had a baseball card shop in So Cal for many years that was called Wes Parker's Dugout. I always enjoyed visiting it back in the day when I collected BB cards...
Wes Parker was, and may still be my all time favorite player. Best 1b with the glove of all time in my book, but Hernandez was right there with him. Hernandez had a longer career, more gold gloves, changed the way 1b's held on runners, and was a great hitter. As a matter of fact, 11 gold gloves and a .296 average (he would have been right at .300 without those last two partial years) and two WS rings on 2 different teams shout out hall of fame to me.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 AM
J@son.K

And plus, Parker was on an episode of the Brady Bunch. Any athlete good enough to be on the BB deserves to be in the HOF. Just look at Drysdale.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
And plus, Parker was on an episode of the Brady Bunch. Any athlete good enough to be on the BB deserves to be in the HOF. Just look at Drysdale.
Well... Drysdale was on Leave It To Beaver, too. That is a big plus.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
And Hernandez was on Seinfeld....... so the debate continues!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Not sure about this year but LaRussa, Cox and Torre eventually get in, as does Miller and probably even Steinbrenner. For some reason I really don't get, they like to honor owners and executives. I mean Barney Dreyfus, Jacob Ruppert? Really? Steinbrenner also served on the Board of Directors of the Hall of Fame for many years with several of the 16 members of the electorate. Had Joe Torre played two or three more years behind the plate, he would have been elected as a player. Ted Simmons was a fine catcher, slightly behind Torre as a hitter. As there are only 13 catchers in the Hall and I would only rank maybe 6 or 7 of them ahead of Simmons, I have no problem with him being elected either.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:

Hernandez had a great glove for sure but the difference between him and Parker was , Hernandez had a knack for making difficult plays look astonishing , Wes Parker made astonishing plays look EASY

Rawlings awarded the gold glove of the century a few years back at each position , and Wes Parker won at the position of 1st base

Vintage autographs for sale now
stinsonsports.com
Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Wayne Walker

Announcement coming today, but I can't find when or how it will be made.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:14 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

On radio they just said Cox, LaRussa, Torre voted in, didn't mention anyone else.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 AM
John Hanssen

MLB.tv has press conf for the 3 managers
Old 12-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I'm surprised no one mentioned Dick Allen. Mattingly isn't near his level.

Last edited by brewing; 12-11-2013 at 07:44 AM.