NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Default Deacon Phillippe and Sam Leever

This is sort of off-topic but feel free to post scans of either player. I'm a big Pirates fan with a writing job covering the team that I love(the job and the team) and I have a lot of free time to do time-wasting stuff like these articles. I broke down the career's of both Leever and Phillippe, showing how similar these two just really were. As mentioned in the story, baseball-reference says the most similar player ever to Phillippe is Leever and vice versa. That's not just pitching, that is as hitters too and both of them finished with the same fielding percentage as well. Amazing how that worked out for two long time teammates.

I mentioned in the story I thought both were worthy of Hall of Fame inductions but to be honest, neither is high on that list so if it were up to me they would be have a wait before I put them in. I actually like the one a year process, especially for the older players who have passed because the players don't get lost in a big group, like some of the Negro Leaguers did a few years back, when you put them in one at a time.

Anyway, here is the career breakdowns for both of them. I figured people here would enjoy seeing just how they did compared to the rest of the pitchers on their staff, against .500 teams and when matching up against Hall of Fame pitchers throughout their careers

Phillippe http://www.piratesprospects.com/2011...e-numbers.html
Leever http://www.piratesprospects.com/2011...e-numbers.html
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 12-11-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default time-wasting stuff...

Hey John
Time-wasting stuff? Yeah, for me I waste so much time I fall asleep at the keyboard sometimes. I often feel like I am at a local postcard show where the average age is that of a centurion. Here is a Blanke-Wenneker Leever for you....

Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Nice card Leon. By time-wasting I meant the story took up four hours of my time and besides writing another story for that site, it was the only thing I did yesterday that can be considered productive.

I write a history article for every sunday but they usually take two hours tops from start to finish including editing, adding pics, etc but I knew I had nothing else planned so I finally got around to the Phillippe story I've been meaning to do.

I personally just wanted to see if what they said was true about him, how he always wanted the ball against the better pitchers, saying sometimes he would go on short rest just to get a certain pitcher. Seven starts against Mathewson, who faced the Pirates 45 times between 1901-07, doesn't exactly sound like Deacon went after the very best
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 12-11-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Andrew

Default time wasting

Fantastic work. This read was not a waste of time for me, I love the history behind the players and the game I love. Keep up the great work.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

Appropriately, they are evenly represented in my pile of cards.
I have one card of each player and from the same set.

heck, the cards even look like the same guy, same background color....same submission.....freaky mean!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D322 Leever 3.jpg (46.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg D322 Phillipe 3.jpg (47.2 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by murcerfan; 12-11-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:24 PM