NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2017, 03:58 PM
Rich Klein

Default Bob Lemke -- Terribly Sad News

This was on TS O'Connell's FB page.

Bob was a titan in the cataloguing field and many items are known today because of his dedication to the whole process.

In passing, all I can say as a fellow cataloguer, I admired him greatly.

Please note TS O'Connell's information is posted below -- he may be able to provide more details

I don't know if I am doing this properly but I wanted to tell as many Krause Publications friends as possible that our dear friend Bob Lemke passed away this morning at a hospital near his home in Central Pennsylvania. People in the sports collecting hobby/business know what a towering figure he was and his influence and impact over almost four decades was enormous. I can be reached directly at tsoconnell1959@gmail.com or at (715) 445-2902. TS
Old 01-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Dustin Bellinger

My condolences to his family and friends and those of you that knew him.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:06 PM

Default Condolences

Sad to hear of Mr. Lemke's passing. All collectors will be forever in debt of the knowledge he passed on to the collecting world. My condolences to his family and those who knew him as a friend.
Tim Kindler
Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Very sad. Bob was a nice guy and always willing to chat. I enjoyed talking to him at shows when he still went to them.

I also liked some of the cards he mocked up as well. Pretty creative.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Ben North

Bob was a great man that was very helpful. I will miss him.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Larry

A tremendous and eager resource who will be sorely missed. Travel well, amigo!

All the best,

Larry
Old 01-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Mark Rios

Wow. I just communicated with him about an uncataloued issue..

Such a wealth of information to all of us collectors.

RIP.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:33 PM
thomas c killeen

Default ever grateful

Bob will be missed
Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Mike

Default Bob's Blog

Bob's Blog was always a great read. His passion came through in everything he wrote. He was truly one of the "Good Guys"............

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/
Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Brad Green

I am sorry to hear this. I emailed back and forth with him on several occasions. He was a great resource and will be missed greatly.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:22 PM
R.L. Americana, LLC

My deepest condolences to the Lemke family. The hobby has lost a true giant. Bob was a friend of mine for decades and I simply could not have had a higher opinion of him, or a greater appreciation for his enormous contributions to the field. We had many correspondences over the years. Here is an excerpt from a letter I sent to him on May 16, 2015 in response to an email of congratulations and kind words he wrote to me about the then-most recent auction. In this particular letter I happened to have the opportunity to express directly to him my appreciation for his great role and extraordinary contributions to the hobby. I thought this would be an appropriate time and place to share. RIP Bob. Your friend always, Rob L

Hi Bob! Great to hear from you!

Thank you for your note and most important: thank YOU for your immeasurable contributions to the field! …I have always tried to keep the true spirit of the hobby alive in the pages of our catalogs – the same spirit that has always been embodied in all of your hobby work. The new collectors – I’m not 100% sure they fully understand where all the assembly, organization, and documenting of this knowledge for the benefit of all comes from (and all this work is a big part of what makes the field so interesting and great) – but they DO know it comes from somewhere (much of it from your efforts!) and they do very much appreciate learning about hobby history for this reason. I’m not sure if I ever properly communicated this to you, but when I think of Bob Lemke, I ALWAYS think (and always say to others): If there were a Mount Rushmore of hobby figures who have contributed to the field most, and have made the most significant and long-lasting positive impact, in my opinion you would be one of the few celebrated members of this elite group, along with Jefferson Burdick, Charles Bray, and no doubt a few others. SCD and The Standard Catalog are two of the primary building blocks upon which the hobby as we know it has been built! The hobby has changed a lot over the years – some for the better, some for the worse – and we have been most fortunate to live through and witness the growth of the field from a much earlier and simpler time. It has been very exciting! The days of SCD being the lifeblood of the hobby are unfortunately gone (they were great while they lasted!), and the Internet and eBay just aren’t the same, but the hobby will live on in a different form. It is hard for the new generation to appreciate the role SCD played in the hobby. I’m not sure the hobby would have grown as big as it did without SCD. Hopefully the Standard Catalog will somehow be revitalized and continued. I’m not sure if anyone will have the opportunity, or the dedication, knowledge, interest, understanding, ability and wisdom to do the great job that you have – you were the secret ingredient that made it work! But I hope there will somehow in time be the opportunity for a worthy steward that is up to the task to continue the project. In the meantime, I hope REA will continue to provide a little excitement and fun and education into the hobby, and provide a window into what collecting was all about in the past as well as the present (many collectors don’t understand it wasn’t always so much about grading and authenticity issues!) I know you’ve been keeping busy with the hobby even in your retirement, and I hope to join you in retiring one of these days! (while at the same time also keeping involved). In the meantime, if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know! (including letting people know about and how to order your cards-that-never-were if desired – these are extremely interesting – I don’t know what is involved in making small quantities and even if you can fill a lot of orders, but these are so neat that to see them is to like them, and I also think these will gain a much greater following in the years to come with exposure).

My best to you always,

Sincerely,

Rob L

Robert Lifson
Old 01-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Joe Drouillard

Spent a lot of time researching items in his catalog. Almost everyday for the last 10 years. Sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:36 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Never met him, but like a trusty friend whom I relied upon through his work and dedication...will always feel like that. RIP - Paul
Old 01-04-2017, 03:33 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Sad news.

Sleep in the stars Bob. The hobby will surely miss your passion and knowledge. Truly a great guy.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:17 AM
Sean Sullivan

That is sad to hear. He was such a nice guy, and generously helped me out a few times.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:24 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Can only echo what others have said. I only had a few interactions with Bob, via email, but he was extremely helpful and friendly. I enjoyed his "cards that never were" creations.

RIP, Bob.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:57 AM

RIP Bob.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:06 AM
Tom Boblitt

Can't say much more than has already been said in this thread. Corresponded a few times with Bob on things and his 'cards that never were' were fantastic. I have a couple of 1952 Topps and 1953 Bowman Color and B/W that he created that are just fantastic. I had intentions to get a few more to add to my 1952 set but just kept putting it off. I will fondly remember him when I look at the few I do have. RIP to Bob and condolences to his family and friends during this time.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Donato DiVecchia

Default Bob Lemke

Bob was a true hobby legend. He will be missed.

RIP, Bob!!!

Condolences to his family and friends.

Donato

Nolan Ryan Topps Master Set: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...?s=192675&ac=1
Old 01-04-2017, 07:13 PM

Truly one of my favorite people in the hobby. He will be missed by so many.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:13 AM
Robert S

A hobby giant and a lovely person.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Such a great guy may he Rest In Peace
Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

A huge positive impact to this hobby. RIP Bob
Old 01-04-2017, 07:34 AM
octavio ranzola

rest in peace bob
Old 01-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Dave Foster

Extremely sad and lousy start to the new year. RIP.