NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-01-2011, 03:47 AM

Default Jan. 2011 Pick-up thread...

A Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year to All (especially my East Coast fellow collectors!)

I hope you all start the year off with a bang!

My first few packages arrived and am thrilled to add them to my collection.

First off is this famous 1939 TYPE 1 photo of the Iron Man. (I'm lucky Ben already had it or it could have been a blood bath!)
1939Gehrig-1.jpg

This really cool 1965 Beatles "Help!" Whistle in original packaging that was given away at select theaters.
BeatlesHelpWhistle-1.jpg

And this 1964 Beatles Fan Club newsletter with postal cancellation that was put out by a 16 year old fan from Arizona. I just love this piece and won it for the first bid price of ten bucks!
BeatlesFanMagazine-1.jpgBeatlesFanMagazine-2.jpgBeatlesFanMagazine-4.jpg
Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 Dressen, Tucker and Stengel.jpg (33.3 KB, 963 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 Dressen, Tucker and Stengel with Tear sheet.jpg (29.1 KB, 966 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 AM

Default January 2011 pickup

Wow, 2011 really started off with a bang!

sayhey24 Greg listed some really cool 1973 All Star game locker tags on the BST section yesterday morning. One of these was for one of my primary collecting focuses, HOFer Nolan Ryan. Growing up an Angels fan in So Cal, Nolan Ryan was always my favorite player. The Angels era portion of my advanced Ryan collection has always been my pride and joy with special emphasis on the year 1973, which IMHO, was Ryan's best year. The site of the 1973 All Star game, KC Royals Stadium, was significant for Nolan because it had been the place that he threw his 1st of 7 career no-hitters just 2 months prior on 5/15/73.

The 1973 All Star game was noteworthy for Ryan because it was the 1st time that he actually pitched in the mid-summer classic. He was added to the 1972 AL All Star roster as a special write in vote, but did not play. Ironically, in the year that Nolan Ryan dominated baseball, he got lit up at the 1973 All Star game. I believe that he called his and Angels teammate Bill Singers' appearance in the AS game "like throwing gasoline on a fire!"

In an interesting side note, these 1973 locker tags first appeared on eBay several years ago. I've been bummed that I didn't get the Ryan 1973 All Star locker tag the 1st time around, but sometimes in this hobby you get lucky and get a second crack at a special item. Thanks to Greg I added this one yesterday!

Happy 2011 to all of you on net54!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan 1973 All Star Locker Plate at KC Royals.jpg (60.5 KB, 918 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-03-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Mcgraw Signed Bat

Nice presentation bat signed by John McGraw circa 1929. The signiature is traced, but original....has a JSA LOA. Me likey!

Tom C
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Wow, 2011 really started off with a bang!

sayhey24 Greg listed some really cool 1973 All Star game locker tags on the BST section yesterday morning. One of these was for one of my primary collecting focuses, HOFer Nolan Ryan. Growing up an Angels fan in So Cal, Nolan Ryan was always my favorite player. The Angels era portion of my advanced Ryan collection has always been my pride and joy with special emphasis on the year 1973, which IMHO, was Ryan's best year. The site of the 1973 All Star game, KC Royals Stadium, was significant for Nolan because it had been the place that he threw his 1st of 7 career no-hitters just 2 months prior on 5/15/73.

The 1973 All Star game was noteworthy for Ryan because it was the 1st time that he actually pitched in the mid-summer classic. He was added to the 1972 AL All Star roster as a special write in vote, but did not play. Ironically, in the year that Nolan Ryan dominated baseball, he got lit up at the 1973 All Star game. I believe that he called his and Angels teammate Bill Singers' appearance in the AS game "like throwing gasoline on a fire!"

In an interesting side note, these 1973 locker tags first appeared on eBay several years ago. I've been bummed that I didn't get the Ryan 1973 All Star locker tag the 1st time around, but sometimes in this hobby you get lucky and get a second crack at a special item. Thanks to Greg I added this one yesterday!

Happy 2011 to all of you on net54!
Damn Scott! That is a tremendous piece to add to your legendary Ryan collection! Greg is a stand up guy with very high character, not to mention his fantastic collection.

Have you decided how you're going to display it? When you do, please post photos of it.

All good things, Jimmy
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Damn Scott! That is a tremendous piece to add to your legendary Ryan collection! Greg is a stand up guy with very high character, not to mention his fantastic collection.

Have you decided how you're going to display it? When you do, please post photos of it.

All good things, Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy! I'm not 100% sure about the dimensions of the All star lock tag yet, but most likely it will get added to my Ryan Angels display case. I'll shoot some photos when I get it all squared away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan 1973 All Star Locker Plate at KC Royals.jpg (60.5 KB, 891 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Ray Brennan

Started the New Year right by visiting a few small Antique Malls in So. VA. Bought the Piedmont Porcelain sign and this odd / unique 1948 Red Robin Hornets Broadside - good DC area item.

Thought I would share the Cap Anson Cigar Box as this was my favorite pickup from 2010. Happy New Year to everyone ! - Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0 003.jpg (67.2 KB, 881 views)
File Type: jpg 0 002.jpg (72.3 KB, 877 views)
File Type: jpg 0 005.jpg (74.5 KB, 887 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Joe Hunter

Default Original Teds Creamy Root Beer Tray and Bottle

Picked up this ORIGINAL Teds Creamy Root Beer tray and 12 oz bottle(1959). These are hard to find. You see lots of the fantasy pieces and reproductions associated with this issue, but rarely does the real thing pop up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0657.jpg (75.4 KB, 875 views)