NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 AM
David Str@@te

Default T206 Scrapbook on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/T206-BASEBALL-CA...item2a10296c87

Funny how even though he knows nothing about cards, it's all he's been selling for the last week or so, and he manages to mention Wagner, Doyle, Magee, etc.

Also funny how the old turn of the century guy took time to trim down the sides to a near normal look.

Bidding is up to 2.2K Who's sniping?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Robert A

Hadn't spotted this yet. A lot of desirable cards in there...trimmed or not.

Seller's feedback looks bad, but the book looks good...real good.

Rob

Last edited by caramelcard; 05-01-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
Hadn't spotted this yet. A lot of desirable cards in there...trimmed or not.

Seller's feedback looks bad, but the book looks good...real good.

It's worth a LOT more than 2.2k.

Rob
I missed this one, too. Not sure how. Cool scrapbook.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Matt Wieder

I'm having a hard time seeing any card not trimmed. It's almost like the guy had OCD and had to trim every single cards - cut off the borders or clip the corners - even when the card would have fit fine without it.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing any card not trimmed. It's almost like the guy had OCD and had to trim every single cards - cut off the borders or clip the corners - even when the card would have fit fine without it.
I was trying to look closely, and where it appears that the corners are cut off, there are actually "homemade" slits in the album pages that the corners of the cards are tucked into. At least that is how it looks to me.......you can see on some of the PCL cards where it looks "raised" where the corners are.

*Edit to add* I'll use the word cards lightly...as others have mentioned, they look very thin, and it's too odd that most of the T206's have the wording at the bottom cut off,,,amongst other things

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 05-01-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Agreed. Cool scrapbook.
Bunch of Mono's, Wagner's and Cobbs. And a Weaver. And a few others.

Quite a scrapbook. Love to run into one at a garage sale sometime.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Seems sketchy. Not for me.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 05-01-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Neat item, but what an awesome collection that was before they let Junior play with scissors! Looks like there are quite a number of "homemade" cards mixed in, but it is a strange mix of cards from Obaks, Zeenuts, Mono's all the way to T206, E90-1/2, and M101-4/5. Even at that price it's only a few bucks a card but that sure would have been killer to find them before they were dessimated to get them int the album.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Chris G.

Just a heads up... This is the same seller that offered up some questionable awards that were discussed on the memorabilia side.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ruth+mvp+award

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...t=Gehrig+award

For what it's worth...
Old 05-01-2011, 03:50 PM

I was also looking at that Cicotte card. Not really sure what it is but it looks cool. He also has 2 Obak Weavers and a Gandil.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Some rare cards in there, T217s etc. I also agree that many looked skinned as they are to thin looking on the page to me.

The seller lost Z$$ by only mentioning the common and almost worthless low value T206's he should have researched it more and included T217, E99, T212-1 etc. in the listing.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I smell pictures of cards that are glued into a scrapbook that has been made to look old.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
I smell pictures of cards that are glued into a scrapbook that has been made to look old.
Me too...this seller is a known scammer.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Steven Finley

Sellers states that you can pick up in Nashville and lists his hometown as Hendersonville. I live in Hendersonville. If there is anyone worried about bidding I'll email the seller to see if I can meet him in a public place to check the album out.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Banned

Default T206 scrapbook

item has been removed??
Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default Scrapbook

Dick, Book is still up on e-bay. This would be right up your alley, LOL... TTYS Old Friend Ralph
Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Scott Levy

Steve,

Thanks for offering the seller the opportunity to meet you live! I guess that I have the following thoughts on the matter.

I can't really tell whether the cards are real or not - although they do seem skinned at a minimum. If the seller is willing to be allow a knowledgeable person to inspect the book in person....then I would be much more willing to bid - provided that the inspector believes they are real.

If not, then that's cool - it's the seller's choice but I will not bid in that instance and I suppose that many others would not as well.

-S
Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Why now? Is it your auction? Why this why now?? I guess i won't be able to win it now. So much for me bidding.

I thought there was a board rule not to out auctions here?

I guess that only applies to me.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Dan my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Why now? Is it your auction? Why this why now?? I guess i won't be able to win it now. So much for me bidding.

I thought there was a board rule not to out auctions here?

I guess that only applies to me.
Dan- there is no rule and has never been a rule against outing auctions, at least in the last 7 yrs or so, and I don't know about before that.

Most members and myself hope they don't get outed but there just can't be a rule against it. Believe me, there have been a few times in the past when I was just sick about something being outed especially as it was in a different category and I wanted to bid badly. I got outbid on that item but the rule remains the same as it has always been. There is no rule against it. Never was and never will be. We have had several discussions about it on the board. Hope this explains that part of it. regards

Last edited by Leon; 05-02-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Dan Bretta

Does nobody seem alarmed that this seller wrote the word "Dover" in his auction description? That he found Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig's MVP awards in an antique shop two months ago? The fact that all of these cards appear too thin?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Somebody got some killer uncataloged cards! I finished 3rd. BUMMER!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Todd C

some great cards for the winner !!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM
pete ullman

wow...healthy price...some great cards...and a lot of crap too!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Clayton

I'm just wondering- if he said in his listing "I think some are Dover?", and just say a few of them were, when would those have been inserted into this book? And, would they have the same pencil writing around them?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Peter F

Default I Think It's a Fake

I'm more of a t206 only guy and I don't know the true scarcity of some of the cards listed but somethings are not right. Like the seller's feedback - too many from the same ID and too many ID's having minimal feedback. Also there looked like many bids from ID's that have very little feedback (a newbie to Ebay all of a sudden wants to spend thousand$ on vintage cards?).

lastly - and someone may have made this point earlier - why were all the cards trimmed? Isn't that a perfect way to equalize everything? Get a stack of reprints and trim away the perforations, etc.

I just don't see someone who seems like a dishonest seller to begin with, miraculously acquiring a gem of a scrapbook.

Of course the worst part is this conversation even has to take place.

I do hope it's real, and that the buyer is happy.

peter
Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Assuming for the sake of argument that the cards are genuine, they are so mangled that I do not see wanting to own any of them. Since I would not be happy with any of them in my collection, I would not buy the album except as a novelty for a few bucks, so $10,000 for it...I can think of a lot of other stuff I'd rather have...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Joe
Joe Lind.way

I was fortunate enough to acquire a similar scrapbook, but with more newspaper clippings and only T206's. Paul Fusco, whom I'm sure you all know in the hobby, was the gentleman whom I acquired it from. To this day it's still one of my most prized possessions in my collection.

However, the one thing I noticed about mine as opposed to this one is the condition of the cards. The cards in my scrapbook are in amazing condition, only that they're glued. If this was a period-assembled book, the cards might still be trimmed due to a hyper kid. But they all wouldn't look that mangled!

It's a tough call. But I love my scrapbook and I'll never destroy it to salvage the cards. And I know if I was the winner of this book, I'd leave it as/is.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Default T 206 Scrapbook

To all, this weekend I received a email and phone call fron the new owner who spent 10k on the scrapbook, he talked about removing the cards and also leaving them in the book. He also sent me many scans to look at- there in the middle of the album, was the JOE JACKSON ROOKIE CARD. After looking at many of the cards, most are the real deal, including the cut cards. the owner has a good group of cards and now- shoeless joe--I may or may not remove the cards, but what a fine gentleman to talk to, ALSO A GOOD PURCHASE.

If I end up removing the cards I am sure there will be cards for sale- I believe JJ cards will remain with his family. thank you Dick towle " GONE WITH THE STAIN"
Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 PM
N.ate A.dams

Maybe I'm just stupid, but why would you be removing the cards? Were you just quoting him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKTOWLE View Post
To all, this weekend I received a email and phone call fron the new owner who spent 10k on the scrapbook, he talked about removing the cards and also leaving them in the book. He also sent me many scans to look at- there in the middle of the album, was the JOE JACKSON ROOKIE CARD. After looking at many of the cards, most are the real deal, including the cut cards. the owner has a good group of cards and now- shoeless joe--I may or may not remove the cards, but what a fine gentleman to talk to, ALSO A GOOD PURCHASE.

If I end up removing the cards I am sure there will be cards for sale- I believe JJ cards will remain with his family. thank you Dick towle " GONE WITH THE STAIN"
Old 05-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
Maybe I'm just stupid, but why would you be removing the cards? Were you just quoting him?
Dick Towle can remove cards from scrapbooks, extra paper from cards, some ink issues, etc. There has been a significant amount of discussion about the morality and efficacy of his work on this board. Whatever his technique, PSA and SGC will grade cards that have been treated by Mr. Towle. I once owned an SGC 80 T206 Donlin Batting that had been removed from a scrapbook by Mr. Towle. It was immaculate.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM
N.ate A.dams

Ok. Clear! As you can see, I joined FEB 2011, that was 1 month after starting this hobby. I'm a new pup.

So, Towle is a card-removing genius - and the buyer knows him as a contact and has requested his services.

Thank you for the info!

When I get home, I might post a scan I have of an "A" graded Tinker T206. I need some opinions on the accuracy of the grade. It's either "A" or an 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Dick Towle can remove cards from scrapbooks, extra paper from cards, some ink issues, etc. There has been a significant amount of discussion about the morality and efficacy of his work on this board. Whatever his technique, PSA and SGC will grade cards that have been treated by Mr. Towle. I once owned an SGC 80 T206 Donlin Batting that had been removed from a scrapbook by Mr. Towle. It was immaculate.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Paul

Quote:
When I get home, I might post a scan I have of an "A" graded Tinker T206. I need some opinions on the accuracy of the grade. It's either "A" or an 8.
I would certainly encourage you to do that if you can. The amount of knowledge on this board will go a long way to helping you through such matters.

And a belated welcome to the board!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-16-2011, 01:13 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Odds are, if it was given an "A", it's probably an "A". But than again, the card may have just caught someone on a bad day, and catching someone on a good day may result in an 8. Bad day and Good day, are somewhat subjective in that sentence, based on which grade is more appropriate or preferred. Altering can be missed from time to time, but generally will not just be assigned without some sort of evidence to it... Basically, and A is usually an A. And an 8 may sometimes only be an A. It rarely goes the other way, without someone making a big mistake.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

Default T 206 scrapbook with joe jackson rookie

Quote:
maybe i'm just stupid, but why would you be removing the cards? Were you just quoting him?
the fine gentleman called me about the finer details of my company- all these cards would look better out of any book, now one can read the history on the back. He may decide to keep them in the book, time will tell. Thank you sir.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Well Mr. Towle, if you're right, and I totally bow out to you when it comes to identifying cards, that would mean I was wrong

Well, there's a first time for everything, I suppose Not afraid to own up to it

Still, I would feel more comfortable with your analysis if you actually had the chance to see the collection in person.

One of the reasons I deemed this to be a fake was because I had asked the seller for at least one scan, but was ignored. Since you have some scans, you can see much better than the bidders.

When you say most are the real deal, it makes me wonder what you think aren't the real deal. Anyway a good score for the new owner and I'm sure he's in good hands as you will make his options known to him without bias.

Would he be willing to remove one card and send it in for grading?

After all, the backs can be just as interesting as the fronts with these collections.

T
Old 05-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post
I had asked the seller for at least one scan, but was ignored.
The seller ignored many emails from several members of this board. I'm not entirely convinced the book is on the up and up, but according to my wife I am wrong approximately 63-75 times a day so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
according to my wife I am wrong approximately 63-75 times a day
Your wife and mine must have attended the same marriage classes.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKTOWLE View Post

When I first read this post earlier today, I had to go back to look through all of the pictures from the ebay auction, because I was sure I didn't remember seeing the JJ card.......then, I thought, maybe he (Dick) is refering to the scrapbook that was in REA because I knew that had the JJ in it, but the final price was a lot more than 10K,,,so- a belated wow. Hopefully for the winner everything turns out ok.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Banned

Default t 206 SCRAPBOOK WITH JACKSON ROOKIE WOW

That is correct joe jackson rookie was in the scrapbook