NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default PSA 10 E98 Wagner mistake

Since this is rather important, especially considering what was spoken about on the board, I want to start a new thread to make sure the issue gets addressed correctly. In the Black Swamp find there is a PSA 10 E98 Wagner. The one that was previously shown on the board was an operational mistake that PSA made. I had a fairly long chat with Chris Ivy about it today as well as Joe Orlando. Chris and Joe both said that when they looked at the card in the holder they knew immediately there was an issue. The PSA 10 card IS graded correctly but when it was to be put in it's holder the PSA operations folks DID in fact pick up one of the PSA 8.5s and put it in the PSA 10 holder by mistake. That being said the certification number was correct, only the card in the holder wasn't. The mistake has been corrected and the 8.5 is in it's correct holder and the 10 is in it's correct holder now. Joe made special mention that it is to Heritage Auctions credit that the mistake was brought to his attention very quickly (it has been in it's correct holder for days now), fixed and no one was hurt by it. It deserves being noted again that this was not a grading error but rather an operational one. He is upset with his company for making the mistake and is addressing the issue internally so it won't happen again. Say what you want to about PSA, but each of the few times I Have spoken with Joe O. I came away being impressed with his honesty, integrity and love of the hobby.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...No=68001#Photo

Old 07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

You cant ask for more, seems fair. Kudos to PSA, and extra kudos to HA.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 07-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Jeff

Thanks for posting that, Leon. Very interesting story and I'm obviously glad to hear PSA took care of the issue. All of my interactions with Joe have been along the same lines - he seems like a good, honest guy.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

It's nice to hear they fixed their mistake. And kudos to all on the board who saw the overgraded card in the slab and spoke their minds regarding the inconsistency of the grade and the card. Well done everyone. And what good eyes you have.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Matt Hall

Very cool. When I saw the green psa 9 in the near complete set I was thinking how it actually looks nicer then the 10... This makes more sense now; I still think the green one looks better in the scan though.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Daryl

Thanks Leon for posting this, and good job Chris and Joe O!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Greg Mitchell

Good to hear about respect for Heritage. I have not dealt with them on cards yet but they did a handle a rare book this year very well and now I have a bunch of more "literary" lots and rock and roll lots (including a John Lennon letter to me) coming this fall so glad to hear about their honesty and transparency.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:03 PM
pete ullman

Nice rectification!! Now the real 10...what a f'in blazer!!!! Can't wait to see the hammer on that one!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Nice rectification!! Now the real 10...what a f'in blazer!!!! Can't wait to see the hammer on that one!
+1
Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Barry Sloate

I feel compelled to say it again...I've been in the hobby for 30 years and this really could be the best find I've ever seen. If there's a better one I don't remember it.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Still makes one wonder how many of these 'mistakes' happen. Such a big $$ card gets messed up??? Nice to see it resolved - but.....
Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 PM
De.rek Pul.atie

Not a small mistake. But glad they fixed it. Just a crazy story.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
That card is un-f'nbelievable!!!! Absolute stunner!!! Obviously a 6-figure card, just how high is high though??
Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Tim Bro.ad

This story is getting a little confusing.

So that means the PSA 10 Wagner card was put in either the PSA 8.5 Collins holder or the PSA 8.5 Harry Davis holder by mistake. Right or wrong?

Also, why were some put in the old style holders and some in the new style?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Fred

Yup, Joe Orlando is going to take action on this issue....

Joe (to his staff): Did someone put a card graded PSA10 in a PSA8.5 holder and a card graded PSA8.5 in a PSA10 holder?

Staff: Yes

Joe: How did this happen?

Staff: We couldn't tell the difference between the two cards.

Joe: Oh, ok.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Dan Marke1

Glad to see that this blatant error was fixed quickly and aggressively. I'm certain the issue of having to buy back a six-figure card was a non-factor in making an expedient resolution to the situation.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Classic...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-07-2012, 07:57 AM

i think for the most part psa gets it right but there are times you scratch your head wonder what they are thinking but nice job catching the mistake befor someone paid alot more money for it than needed.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSH2112 View Post
This story is getting a little confusing.

So that means the PSA 10 Wagner card was put in either the PSA 8.5 Collins holder or the PSA 8.5 Harry Davis holder by mistake. Right or wrong?

Also, why were some put in the old style holders and some in the new style?

It is not confusing to most folks since the pop report clearly shows there are 2 PSA 8.5 Wagners and 1 PSA 10 Wagner. (Why are you looking at other players?) The ops folks picked up an 8.5 (which was correctly bashed on the board) and put it mistakenly in the 10 holder. I have no idea why different type holders were used, if they were, as I didn't look. And whomever said it was a BIG mistake is correct. Joe O. thought so too.

And btw Fred, on this mix up it was quite obvious the card in the 10 holder, and first shown on the board, didn't meet a 10 criteria with the bump to the back, bottom corner. Otherwise I have to agree with you on being able to tell the highest grade cards from each other.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Tim Bro.ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It is not confusing to most folks since the pop report clearly shows there are 2 PSA 8.5 Wagners and 1 PSA 10 Wagner. (Why are you looking at other players?) The ops folks picked up an 8.5 (which was correctly bashed on the board) and put it mistakenly in the 10 holder. I have no idea why different type holders were used, if they were, as I didn't look. And whomever said it was a BIG mistake is correct. Joe O. thought so too.

And btw Fred, on this mix up it was quite obvious the card in the 10 holder, and first shown on the board, didn't meet a 10 criteria with the bump to the back, bottom corner. Otherwise I have to agree with you on being able to tell the highest grade cards from each other.
My mistake, I was looking at the cards as being offered as the "Black Swamp Find" on the Heritage website. I had no idea there were 3 Wagners.

Not much information online or otherwise about this find other than they were found in the Black Swamp area of Ohio and found under a doll house in someones attic. Lots of online links to Auction house but the small amount of information that is there is copy and pasted from other websites.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
qualitycards

Looking forward to seeing it in Baltimore

Old 07-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Barry Sloate

Not a bad looking card.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

When I was speaking with Joe O he told me that what is almost as amazing as the PSA 10 of Wagner is the fact that many of the PSA 9 Cobbs would have been 10s if not for their centering. This find will make National news wires soon. I am excited about it for our whole hobby's sake. It will undoubtedly help raise awareness (in a positive light) for our hobby. All passionate collectors and hobbyists should be happy about that.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
I had a fairly long chat with Chris Ivy about it today as well as Joe Orlando. Chris and Joe both said that when they looked at the card in the holder they knew immediately there was an issue. The PSA 10 card IS graded correctly but when it was to be put in it's holder the PSA operations folks DID in fact pick up one of the PSA 8.5s and put it in the PSA 10 holder by mistake. .
So I could see how Joe might have missed this since it is not his job to verify grades but Chris noticed there was an issue with the 10 but put up a picture of it anyway before contacting PSA to correct it?

Additionally, since the 10 is sandwiched between two 8s based on the sequential cert numbers (note to OP who thinks there are only 3 Wagners when there were 46 graded from this find) how did the 10 get switched with an 8.5? My understanding is that cards get assigned cert numbers upon receipt and for good reason are left in order in the boxes once graded. Flips are printed and cards are holdered in order.

Greg
Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Not a bad looking card.
I'd own it.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
.... how did the 10 get switched with an 8.5? ...

Greg
Maybe the cards got out of order and it was a mistake?

Last edited by Leon; 07-07-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Once again praise praise praise for PSA making a mistake. This time enough attention had been brought to the card to warrant looking further into it. Heck it isn't tough to find a so called 8 or high to call it a 10 make the switch and say all is fine.

If these were modern cards they would be lucky to get an 8 with the registry being off and the color bleeding off the borders. So much attention is given to sharp corners and centering it is ridiculous. The 10 has obvious immediate visual defects I just don't get how the cards warrant the applied grades. The card in the first 10 holder that is know an 8.5 has so many obvious defects (the big one is the extra red color on the back plus the other defects mentioned in the 10 card.I don't know how it warrants anything more than a 6.

Great looking cards but not to the level of the grades. If you think so that is your and opinion and you are free to spend your money as such. To me I am not in this game, even if I could afford it.

Lee
Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Great looking cards but not to the level of the grades.
Lee[/QUOTE]

I agree, the first thing I noticed about this card is the imperfect registration. It is a beautiful card but not a 10. dave
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

To me, the whole concept of the 10 (or 98) grade is meaningless and rather arbitrary (although great marketing). If a card is Mint it should be essentially flawless, so the notion of an even higher grade makes no sense.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
I'd own it.
I'd own the sht out of it
Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
To me, the whole concept of the 10 (or 98) grade is meaningless and rather arbitrary (although great marketing). If a card is Mint it should be essentially flawless, so the notion of an even higher grade makes no sense.
I think the human eye can distinguish between PSA/SGC/Beckett Mint (9/96/9) and Gem Mint (10/98/9.5), but can anyone tell me how to distinguish Gem Mint from Pristine (??/100/10)? The fact that SGC and BGS even have a Pristine grade would lead us to believe that there are flaws in Gem Mint cards. Now that makes no sense Peter.

Last edited by 4815162342; 07-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:09 PM
De.rek Pul.atie

Do we know when and how they are going to start selling the Cobb PSA 9s? Sorry if its been told already. Would love to put some bids on a few.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
maybe the cards got out of order and it was a mistake?
rose-colored-glasses.jpg
Old 07-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Pup6913

I am just curious if the upper right corner has a ding in it. It looks a though it does on the blown up scans on HAs web site. Anyone else see it?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Since this is rather important, especially considering what was spoken about on the board, I want to start a new thread to make sure the issue gets addressed correctly. In the Black Swamp find there is a PSA 10 E98 Wagner. The one that was previously shown on the board was an operational mistake that PSA made. I had a fairly long chat with Chris Ivy about it today as well as Joe Orlando. Chris and Joe both said that when they looked at the card in the holder they knew immediately there was an issue. The PSA 10 card IS graded correctly but when it was to be put in it's holder the PSA operations folks DID in fact pick up one of the PSA 8.5s and put it in the PSA 10 holder by mistake. That being said the certification number was correct, only the card in the holder wasn't. The mistake has been corrected and the 8.5 is in it's correct holder and the 10 is in it's correct holder now. Joe made special mention that it is to Heritage Auctions credit that the mistake was brought to his attention very quickly (it has been in it's correct holder for days now), fixed and no one was hurt by it. It deserves being noted again that this was not a grading error but rather an operational one. He is upset with his company for making the mistake and is addressing the issue internally so it won't happen again. Say what you want to about PSA, but each of the few times I Have spoken with Joe O. I came away being impressed with his honesty, integrity and love of the hobby.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...No=68001#Photo

now if Joe could just do the same thing with autographs. gets some heads rolling over there joe!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I think the human eye can distinguish between PSA/SGC/Beckett Mint (9/96/9) and Gem Mint (10/98/9.5), but can anyone tell me how to distinguish Gem Mint from Pristine (??/100/10)? The fact that SGC and BGS even have a Pristine grade would lead us to believe that there are flaws in Gem Mint cards. Now that makes no sense Peter.
I would bet that if you took, say 50 10s and 50 9s of a mass-produced modern card, cracked them all out, and resubmitted, many 10s would come back 9s and vice versa. And judging by scans of the Dmitri Young collection, I'm not so sure on somewhat older cards there is a meaningful difference between 9s and 10s either. I think it's mostly marketing and hype.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I just don't buy the incorrect slabbing excuse and surprised at how easily it was accepted. I wish my customers allowed do overs.....I'd win every bid ever quoted on.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I'm late to this story -- but how are the rest of the cards in the find going to be sold? I see that Heritage is selling one near-complete set. What about the rest of the cards?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
I just don't buy the incorrect slabbing excuse and surprised at how easily it was accepted. I wish my customers allowed do overs.....I'd win every bid ever quoted on.
Yes, do overs would be great if that is what this "grading" was. I think those are called "reviews". This was not a grading mistake or review though. The EXACT same cards are now just in each others holders, the way they should have been to start with. Nothing personal but I can't imagine, with the same cards in the same holders, just reversed, how anyone is coming up with some sort of conspiracy. I knew it would happen though . It's ok, it happens every time. It's part of having a lot of folks on the board. Our board is actually very predictable, again, no worries there.

Greg- yeap, glasses could be needed . I know I am blind without mine.

Jeff- I have not heard how the rest will be sold nor do I know of anyone or anywhere that has had that info. I hope to get a bit more news early this next week and might be able to help with a few answers.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I'm late to this story -- but how are the rest of the cards in the find going to be sold? I see that Heritage is selling one near-complete set. What about the rest of the cards?
I wonder how much more the set would have fetched had the extent of the discovery not been broadcast and made known through the change in the pop report. It may not be analagous, but when there was a massive find of high grade 52 Bowman high numbers it drove prices way down, as could have been expected.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I wonder how much more the set would have fetched had the extent of the discovery not been broadcast and made known through the change in the pop report. It may not be analagous, but when there was a massive find of high grade 52 Bowman high numbers it drove prices way down, as could have been expected.
Believe me Peter, that thought was taken into consideration (not putting them out out there at once to keep the prices down somewhat). However, I know this is going to be hard for a lot of people to accept, the auction house (I don't know about the consignor) didn't want to do it that way and hose people that bought the first cards. Shudder to think they would do something that helps hobbyists.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Barry Sloate

Prices for the very best cards will be strong. They'll have no trouble getting top dollar for the PSA 10 Wagner and all the PSA 9 Cobbs.

The PSA 7 commons, on the other hand, will probably be sold by the pound. Those are going to be cheap.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Believe me Peter, that thought was taken into consideration (not putting them out out there at once to keep the prices down somewhat). However, I know this is going to be hard for a lot of people to accept, the auction house (I don't know about the consignor) didn't want to do it that way and hose people that bought the first cards. Shudder to think they would do something that helps hobbyists.
If you put a pair of those glasses in your next auction I am going to place a crazy top all! What is good for hobbyists, is ultimately good for those who sell to them, is it not?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Tim Bro.ad

The lack of information on this "Swamp Find" find is incredible.

Usually when ever a rare painting or other rare item is found there is always a good story about it somewhere. Provenance is very important to buyers of high priced collectibles.

I thought somewhere online I would find a short story from a small town newspaper or collectibles site but found nothing.

If anyone has a link to a story such as "when" and exactly "where" please post.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:50 PM
pete ullman

Sorry... but I extracted the wrong tooth... do over!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Banned

They have been grading cards for over 20 years and this is the first time it has happened that cards have been accidentally switched?

what can joe o. do to make sure it doesnt happen again when their online video shows that each card gets assigned a number and double, triple checked all the way through and put in the correct holder that corresponds to the number assigned to the card?

Did the owner of the cards give both back to psa and collect the $$$ under their guaranteed grade program?

Last edited by travrosty; 07-07-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Prices for the very best cards will be strong. They'll have no trouble getting top dollar for the PSA 10 Wagner and all the PSA 9 Cobbs.

The PSA 7 commons, on the other hand, will probably be sold by the pound. Those are going to be cheap.
If one PSA 9 Cobb was made available and the market did not know there were 8 more behind it, it would sell for multiples more, that's just basic economics.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Rush,

I posted this on the original thread yesterday. It seems that the SMR will release a story of some sort.

PSA will be handing out thousands of free, special-edition SMRs at the 33rd National Sports Collectors Convention this summer in Baltimore, MD.

This year's HOF/National SMR issue poignantly manages to reminisce about the past without ever losing its firm grasp of the future. While one feature article celebrates the 50th anniversary of the 1962 Topps Baseball set, another unveils one of the most thrilling finds in recent hobby history – that of an astonishingly well-preserved collection of E98s. And with the turn of just a few pages, you will likewise discover one article commemorating the legendary Washington Senators pitcher Walter Johnson, and yet another introducing this year's HOF inductee, Barry Larkin.

Black and White Photography: A Timeless Remembrance This special SMR edition will also include an additional 16-page insert bound inside the magazine, between pages 104 and 105. A unique compilation of black and white original photographs and their corresponding cards, this insert will serve as a one-of-a-kind visual photo guide for both the new and veteran collector alike. By pairing the colorful sports cards we have grown to know and love with the black and white images that inspired their creation, PSA will endeavor to introduce hobbyists to a new segment of collecting.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:33 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
If one PSA 9 Cobb was made available and the market did not know there were 8 more behind it, it would sell for multiples more, that's just basic economics.
No question Peter, having something like ten Cobbs available at the 9 level is a huge number. But it's a big hobby and they will all be absorbed and end up in major collections. However, a card that is a "1 of 1" or "1 of 2" is certainly worth more than a "1 of 10".

But the ten Cobbs aren't the problem. I think the 47 Wagners will be. There will be one or two high grade examples in every subsequent auction. An E98 Wagner in PSA 7 is going to be an affordable card.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Sorry... but I extracted the wrong tooth... do over!!!
So out of 700+ extractions every one will go flawlessly without so much as a minor complication? Or as a better analogy, 700+ extractions without a slipup in the billing department?

I've gone to the wrong dentists.("Do NOT put the hook in this tooth here it has a huge cavity" -Where's the first place she jabbed that hook? Yep, and she nearly lost a finger. Pain really shouldn't have smells and colors )

Steve B