NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 PM

Default 1913 Derby Cigars origins

Hello,

I have been reading this board for about 10 years and have rarely posted, but I found something recently which I thought I'd share. I'm sorry if this belongs in the memorabilia forum, but I thought there would be interest here since there have been threads on these before. Leon, if this has already been mentioned on this forum, please feel free to delete this thread. It is a 1913 Philadelphia Athletics World Series program (not mine) which is in the Hall of Fame's collection. I have the 2013 HOF wall calendar and it is in the October photo collage with other 1913 World Series memorabilia, probably for the 100th anniversary of this Series. The "Derby Cigars" cards were apparently cut from the cover of these programs. Presumably a matching Giants version was also made, with "National League Champions" at the bottom. The Athletics have a letter "A" in a circle at the lower right corner of each "card", and the Giants have a "G". The arrangement of the players matches the 2-card panels that Leon once posted. Bender and Oldring are hidden behind some other programs in the picture. I don't know if these programs have any connection to Derby Cigars. If anyone on the board is interested in these and has a connection at the HOF, perhaps they can find out more. This is the first time I've posted a photo and I don't know how to rotate it, if anyone does please help! Thanks for many years of hobby enjoyment and many more to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg derbypage.jpg (68.0 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by Leon; 10-18-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: rotated pic
Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 PM

Default Here you go

Thanks for posting this important information. Glad I never picked up any of these program cutouts!

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg notderbycgar.jpg (68.1 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 10-18-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Thanks! Glad I could help with this.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for posting that Hal. Just curious if we know if there is anything on the other side of that page of the scorecard, in the way of writing or advertising etc..? The ones of these I have handled don't appear to be program type stock (who knows maybe they are?). It is much thinner than I would think would be used for a scorecard or program. It's always good to learn about these things, good, bad or indifferent. There are certain notebook cuts I have seen go for $500+, so who knows? Interesting stuff.

I should add, I have always thought they were stamps.....but that is only by the stock they are on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ptunc1913derbymackplank2x2.jpg (78.1 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by Leon; 10-18-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: and a bit of clarification
Old 10-18-2013, 08:31 PM

Unfortunately the caption doesn't say what's on the back, perhaps there is advertising for Derby Cigars? The photograph also showed a T200 Premium of the Athletics which was identified only as a team photograph, so maybe this is something else that's misidentified as a program? That's why I suggested that maybe if someone on the board has a contact at the HOF, maybe they can help. Neat cards, thanks for posting!