NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Came accross this site and wanted to let you know about it's existence..

http://baseballcardrepair.com/

Old 04-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Dave F

Hmmm....looks pretty controversal to me. I like the disclaimer "you should notify any buyer or grading company about the repairs made"....yeah, I bet that would happen often.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Joann

AAACCCKKKKK! Wow. Does anyone think they actually improved the cards as much as the before and after pictures show, or were the scans also photoshopped? It is simultaneously amazing and scary.

Thanks for the link BB.

Joann

Old 04-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: barrysloate

Joann- it can be done, and it is being done. No question about it.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Mike

Are these type of repairs good enough quality to ever pass a grading service? Otherwise, I'd be too afraid to buy an ungraded card that looks like one of the "After" pictures on the website. I would just assume it was a fake.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: barrysloate

Yes.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: David

What a horrible thing. Sad to hear this sort of thing happens. I read their site. They only accept certain card for "restoration." Would be interesting to see if they would accept a beater T206 HOFer. Wonder what the actual cost is? They deduct the $25 send in fee from the "restoration" cost. Let me say this would be interesting in an educate yourself against a fraud way. The worst thing I ever did to a card was fold over a T201 to show my sons (It had been folded many times before me). I guess that's the beauty of ungraded cards.
David

Old 04-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

Those are not the same cards, no way.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Sam Aker

Is anyone else sick of Bobby promoting his site here? I sure am. There are banner ads for this type of stuff Booby. Bobby, who I have raised issues with on another thread, uses his site information in his thumbnail and really does nothing to help the board. This is his closest post to something that is beneficial. (typo fix)

Sam Aker
Longtime lurker
beowulfforking@yahoo.com

Old 04-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Zinn

Don't hold back now. Let all see your vile diatribe from the spreadsheet post:

"You have got to be kidding me.... April 21 2007, 6:57 PM

I am sorry but I am fed up. Mr. Binder, you need to take a hike. If you want to advertise your service, Leon has banner ads for you. Otherwise, I think you should be kicked to the street. You peddle your company on here non-stop and have done the same on PSA. For all of you who use the PSA boards, look for posts by "hofcollectoronly", this is Mr. Binder or one of his companies. You have established enough "partnerships" that you shouldn't have to say anything else. While on the PSA boards, he plays dumb or he actively promotes how "wonderful" the service is. Griffins is a big supporter of your company and has been posting information on your behalf. He is a legitimate and honest person. That should be enough for you. There was a thread on here earlier that showed how you were stealing money. Then you tried to make it look as if the other person was lying by posting his IP information. That is surely an invasion of privacy, but even so, it was fake. AOL changes IPs for people. Over an extended period of time, he would not have the same address. This post is from someone who even SAYS THEY KNOW ABOUT YOU... THEY ARE A CUSTOMER (BY THEIR OWN ADMISSION)!!! YET YOU STILL PEDDLE YOUR CRAP. TAKE A HIKE. YOU ARE A LIAR AND A BLIGHT ON THIS COMMUNITY!!!! He specifically asks for EXCEL OPTIONS!!! Stop stealing from your customers and peddle your stuff elsewhere!"

Old 04-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: martin dalziel

Rubbish.

The guy has a business that is directly related to the purpose of this board, so why not have the business name in his avitar? There have been many posts asking for graded pricing or pictures of a particular issue and he has promptly responded - how is that not helpful. He's also chimed in when he has some knowledge to share.

I'd ask about your contribution to the board or to the hobby, but given that my contributions are minimal on both counts that would be hypocritical. Bobby has us both beat by a mile.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

What's your point? I put my post there and my name is by it.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Martin - what is his business that is directly related to the purpose of this board? Please show me where Bobby has been "helpful" beyond pointing out pricing information and making sure to tag his service with it or where he attacks people? I'm sure he's watching this, I'd love to actually hear from him on this.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: jay behrens

Martin, the point is, that the initial poster asked for spreadsheets suggestions for excel, microsoftworks, etc. Not some website. Thus the response from Mr Aker. Go read the thread about the spreadsheet to see what we are talking about. Bobby abuses Leon's kindness to pimp his site as often as possible. You don't see Ted Golden, one of his competators, acting this way. He obviously has more class than Bobby.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Denny

"Is anyone else sick of Bobby promoting his site here?"

Well Sam(I'm Not),

You're own your own!

Life's Grand,
Denny(I am) Walsh

Old 04-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Paul

I am very doubtful that this guy can do what he says he can do. Look at his Leaf Paige or his 34 Goudey Gehrig. To do what the scan does, he would literally have to replace each microscopic ink dot on the entire surface of the card. How else do you turn a scuffed and faded surface into a perfect surface?

If those examples don't make you suspicious, he says that he can "refocus" a card. If a picture is out of focus, it is out of focus. The only way to "fix" this problem would be to reprint the entire picture, in focus, on the surface of the card. Am I missing something?

Old 04-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Brad

The examples shown on his website, have this sets been ever reprinted before???
To make the website look more legit: Show cards that have not been reprinted before?

Maybe he only sends back "reprints" and keeps original card! ?

Old 04-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Mark T

I am a member of your site and love it. It is sad that people bash you for posting a great thread and say you are using Net54 for your own purpose. I don't care if your avitar is pile of crap or a blurb to your site, i subscribe because it is helpful and saves me money.

Its sad to say this but you are better off not even posting anymore even though you have much to contribute.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Mark, if you are running for a for-profit site, would you want someone using their avatar to advertise for free when they should be paying you to advertise their business? I highly doubt it.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

I respect you as a collector but Bobby has a great site and just because his avatar is his web site is just fine by me. I did not sign up because of that.

If i changed my avatar to a .com on your Vintage Card Forum would i be banned because of it? It is just an avatar.

VCP has saved me tons of money, i can't see why every collector would not use it. Just my opinion, no hard feelings for it. (<:

Old 04-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

You would be asked to change the avatar and if you refused, then we would look at banishment. Thanks for bringing that up. It gives me the idea that I need to check the mod functions and see if we have the ability to change someone's avatar.

Jay

Old 04-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Denny -
With all due respect, there are a lot of other people that feel the same way. They elect not to say anything. That being said, you can see at least one person who agrees with me.

Mark -
Maybe you didn't because of his avatar, but you did because he has been posting about his site frequently. I have watched Bobby post for a while. He has offered very little beyond pricing information and peanut comments. If the purpose of this board is to better the hobby, why does he need to advertise his product? Again, if i were Charlie Barokas or Doug Allen, or Josh (i forget your last name) from Sportscardlink, I would have a real problem with someone advertising their service on this site without paying for it. This is not a shot at Leon, this is a shot at Bobby.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

I started this post to demonstrate what every one thought was a back room hidden thing is no longer. Now any one who wants to can contact this guy through his website and it is out in the open.

As far as no longer participating in this forum is out of the question because I am not going to let a few bad apples that partake here ruin my day. There are to many others here with class and knowledge that I enjoy reading and posting.

And FYI Jay yes I have a site you pay to get the values only! but there are many more features of the site that are free to everyone. Quality images, want lists with email notices, My collection, current running auctions on all set and player searches, member comments on cards, and much more. If a person on a budget like your self could find a lot of use out of what we offer for free. Hell I will even give you a free months membership to show you that the value you get out of it is worth more then the nominal fee people pay .

Old 04-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

a month. We are not talking about millions here. It comes to about 30 cents a day. Trust me, i have used this service every day to check a see what cards are going for. I can't watch every auction on Ebay or Mastro or REA. It helps me when i decide to buy a card, plain and simple. Thats why i joined and not his Avatar or his posts.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Hey Bobby,
Why did you offer those services for free? Because one of your competitor released those features and you responded. Why did you offer a Want List? Because someone else did? I don't doubt that your service offers something to someone, that's fine. But call a spade a spade. It's interesting that you still haven't answered my question on the IP Addresses. You can dodge the question about posting on PSA even though it is you. But you can't dodge this one? Start paying for advertising and then we'll talk.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Mark -
How did you hear about this service? Is this because you ran into one of the bimbo's passing out his fliers at the national? or perhaps because one of the many posts he has done? Or was it because he has attacked many people on this board (including his customers and his competitors)? Everybody complains on here about the "problems" in the hobby. Well here is one plain in simple. We have the owner of a company, a company with huge implications on the hobby, who has lied. Nobody seems to care? People like Frank, and Barry, and so many others who appear to care, yet nobody holds this guys feet to the fire. He provides a useful service, nobody denies that, but he also lies and puts out bull. Does that not matter to anyone? I'm sorry that I don't buy at auction or from people on the B/S/T. I'm sorry that all I do is buy cards on eBay. This board has a lot of power, but is certainly far from the end all be all of the hobby. But Bobby continues to lie and cheat his way to the top, and NOBODY cares. Why is he partnering with sites? What exactly does that mean? How can a price guide site PARTNER with a grading company AND an auction company? Is that not a huge conflict of interest? Bobby, please convince me that you are not guilty of the thigns I've said and I will sign up for your service. Until then, you can keep your service and I will keep my dignity.

Sam

Old 04-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: jackgoodman

You guys can really read the avatar????? Wow, I need new glasses.

edited to add name

Old 04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Sam,

I just find it funny and a coincidence that when that thread was created here it was by a person that never posted before and has not again since. I provided the proof and that was based of our data but you just want to believe a person who posts out of the blue. The email we had on file for him was not a AOL address but that is fine you can believe what you want to. I also admitted in that thread that I handled the situation wrongly and apoligixed for it ever happening. I know what transpired and so does the other party and I got made out as the bad guy. But life is short and goes on and I learned from a bad experience that I hope not to repeat again.

As far as you accussing me of being a liar where is your proof? Prove to me or anybody else that I have every lied. As far as bad mouthing the other sites is a comolete false. I appreciate them being here and tell people to check them out and us and find out which works better for you. If I was the only person doing it then people would wonder why nobody else does.

As far as partnering with a grading company and auction houses is simple. We track auctions and tell people that cards they want are available. We have no interest or cards or to be a grading company and try to be as neutral as possible. As a matter of fact I sold of every single baseball card I owned last summer so that I could never be accussed of price manipulation.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Huh ??? Are we talking about BaseballCardRepair.com or WHAT!?

Old 04-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Huh ??? Are we talking about BaseballCardRepair.com or WHAT!?

Old 04-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Brad,

This thread spiraled into a whole other thing thanks to Sam.

I have nothing to do with Baseballcardrepair and do not suggest that anybody do. The only thing I was showing was this kind of thing is out in the open and not in back rooms anymore. I will let Mark respond to the rest of your request.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. I just don't buy enough cards to justify spending more than 5-10% of monthly budget for cards on your service. I were to subscribe to service like yours, I'd use your competitor instead. I find Ted Golden to be a much more reputable and classier person.

Mark, if $10 is nothing to you, then I could sure use an extra $10/month. That would get a common or two I need each month and you could get that same warm fuzzy feeling as if youw ere sponsoring one of the poor kids on late night TV, but instead, you'd be sponsoring a poor collector. If I want to buy expensive cards, I need to save up for months, so I can't even buy commons I want to buy a Joe Jackson card and a Delong Foxx.

The last card I bought was about 6 months ago.

Jay

Old 04-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Bobby -
You started this thread. The other thread I have jumped in on was started by one of your members and he specifically ASKED that you stay out of it.

What you said in that thread was you were getting a divorce (as if that has ANYTHING to do with it). The EMAIL has nothing to do with it, if he is an AOL user then he logs in with AOL, which means his IP changes. Again, you have just been caught in a LIE!

You have bad mouthed your competitors in public and if i need to, i'll dig that thread up. You said: "We have no interest or cards or to be a grading company and try to be as neutral as possible. As a matter of fact I sold of every single baseball card I owned last summer so that I could never be accussed of price manipulation." Really? Another lie ... http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=www-vintagecardprices-com

Your feedback on eBay says otherwise. It's interesting that you changed your user id as well... interesting that it is again to promote your site. I seem to remember you spamming your site in some of your auctions as well.... yeah ... you're a real honest person. Not to mention the fact that your quoted statement is complete gibberish. I have just PROVED you a liar 2x in one post. Do we really need to pull up all your other information.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

I especially like the fact that you consider people who don't post on here to be unimportant. This is the first time i have popped up on here, according to the site stats, there are some 20,000 page views during the stated period. I would assume that means that there are a lot of "unimportant" people here.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Sam,

You have proved nothing that I can see. So I would appreciate you stop trying to dig for nothing that exists. As far as my eBay history everything in December that I sold was not cards but Computers, sorry the links are no longer live to show you. The last of my cards I sold was in September and the person posted feedback in October.

If you want to hash it out some more you can email me. Check that because what ever I say you would post here anyways. So if you are getting your jollies make up things about me then have a great day. I am not going to stoop to your level.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Zach Rice

All three of the auctions mentioned above were in fact taken place in the summer of 2006. The first sale was 9-10-6, the second link was 9-10-06, and the third link was 9-17-6. All of these auctions took place before September 23rd, the first day of Fall.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Sam,

Checking your 2 listing both ended September 10, 2006 which would in my book at least fall in the area of "Summer". Or am I missing something here? You can still keep trying to slander me if you want but you are the one that is looking bad. At least that is the way I see it but keep trying this is fun.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: dennis

see VCBC issue #7 july 1996 it's been out in the open for awhile,but i guess nobody has been paying attention.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: JimB

I don't see anything that Bobby did that was objectionable. He started a thread on something utterly unrelated to the services his site offers. I must be missing something here.
JimB
P.S. In full disclosure, I admit I subscribe to his site and find it to be a valuable resource. I do not know Bobby personally and have never spoken with him.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Anonymous

I have nothing to say specific about VCP I dont want to go there(Bobby removed his avatar anyways) I will say that I wouldn't want to see advertisements in everyone's avatars or websites posted at the bottom of peoples threads. There's plenty of places to advertise without going there. Its only fair that if someone wishes to advertise they use the space afforded for it by the board.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

finally a full night sleep.

Bobby took his Avatar down and all should be good.

Jay, if you need $10 a month and it would help you with your collection then i would be happy to send it. You are a great collector.(<:

Back to the thread at hand, i find it amazing that they could fix a card like the Darby chocolate and make it look like new again. I would love to see the process in person. I guess they are offering the service for collectors who plan on keeping the doctored card and not selling it. I don't agree with it and would never use it.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: quan

$10 gets you 2 of those new angus burgers at mcdonald's (which i don't think is available in minnesota yet according to the ad). if you're a normal collector and spend any amount of money at all you'd be wise to subscribe to one of the card services. great work by both ted and bobby's groups.

are nsfw and religious avatars also out? those are the funniest!

Old 04-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

Posted By: Anonymous

Mark the Darby card is a well known instance of restoration. It couldnt be sold to anyone without the buyer knowing it was restored. Seeing as how its like the only example of that card that exists, I dont think the owner would have trouble finding it a new home! What I wonder is how much the cost was to have the restoration done... 60 hours of work, thats quite a job. I wonder if collectors will pay much of a premium for it in its altered state or would just assume have it falling apart but in an sgc slab?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Default Card Repairs

quan, I used to be a GM for McDs and the only thing I will eat there, on the rare occasion that I do eat fast food, is the sausage egg McMuffin and I have one of those maybe twice a year. There is no In and Out burger around here, otherwise I'd be eating lunch there once in awhile. As it is, I make my own lunch for work everyday.

I've been a busy boy this weekend, I've coked up another batch of my BBQ sauce and made pasta salad. It's summer grilling season now

Jay