NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2020, 02:59 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Default When passing on a card is a good thing

Every so often we see threads asking what cards do you regret passing on, so lets change that around. What cards or deals are you glad you passed on?

A few years ago at one of the Philly Shows a dealer had a W554 Gehrig that I was interested in when I just starting on the set. I wanted to make a trade, but in the end the dealer wanted around $2k in trade including a few D304s and a few caramels including my E92 Nadja Miller. I'm glad I didn't do the deal as the Miller card is now part of Nadja set and another has not come up for sale since. I've since bought a copy of the Gehrig, but still thankful I didn't make that trade.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-08-2020, 03:05 PM

I was underbidder on a whole bunch of the signed T206 cards that turned out to be fake. I have since tried to move on entirely from autographs.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:20 PM
pete ullman

u gotta rub that e92 nadja miller in...don't you!!!!
Old 09-08-2020, 04:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There was one card I remember seeing in a collection and telling the owner that if he ever wanted to sell it, please let me make an offer. He consigned it to auction instead and I ended up owning it for half of what I would have offered him directly.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-08-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:58 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Karma

thats it in a nutshell!
Old 09-09-2020, 05:09 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Not vintage but many years ago I went into a dealers shop and he had a 1968 Nolan Ryan rookie card for sale. He wanted $1000. I told him I would take it if he paid the sales tax. He wouldn't do that so I didn't buy it. Since I am a Cubs guy and just wanted it to have it, I am glad I didn't buy it since that money has been spent on vintage Cubs since then.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:39 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I was the underbidder on a card on ebay in 2008 that sold for 4800. Only 2 copies of the card is known, and I always kicked myself I didn't go higher. Earlier this year I won the exact card in REA for 1/3 of the price.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:48 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Many, many years ago when I knew even less than I know now, I was outbid on a beautiful uncut sheet of Fro-joys. In color!
Old 09-09-2020, 10:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

The stamp guy I go to gave cards a try in 87. Bought some nice stuff. One thing he had was a Ty Cobb letter. Great condition, cobb stationery, green ink. The first page was pretty straight stuff, thanks for writing, good to hear from a fan etc.
The second page.... was a bit rough but exactly the sort of stuff Cobbs rep was at the time.
He wanted 700, and I seriously considered it. Having to do better on some classwork and a couple small car repairs delayed the saving up, and it sold.

I now know that it was probably a total fabrication by Stump.

Pretty glad I didn't end up buying it.

He also had a photo of Fenway park signed by "some front office guy" That also sold. I ended up finding it at a show years later and while it's Fenway, the signature on the back is Frank Navin.... yeah, just "some front office guy"
Old 09-10-2020, 10:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I passed on a 1932 Babe Ruth schedule? card several years back. I think it had Goudey on it or something. It sold for 15k+ two different times and I was the underbidder both times. It turned out to be fake.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:39 PM
James M.

Not a card, but in my quest to complete the Ron Lewis "Living Legends" set, I found a complete set at the most Recent REA auction. It ended up going for $1500. A couple of weeks ago I documented how I stumbled onto a complete set on eBay for almost 1/3rd of that price. Sometimes it works out!