NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Dave Johnson

Default Cracker Jack Collectors....what is the secret

Of what to look for when grading Cracker jacks? I have a few that I am sending in to PSA from a recent large collection purchase as I want to get them authenticated in order to make it easier to sell the cards.

When I see other graded examples it seems like the grading is all over the place. Stains must really have a harsh impact?

Any advice from the folks here is appreciated in what are the main things to consider with CJ grading.

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Are you talking '14s, 15s or both? I have handled a few but there are quite a few really good CJ guys on the board.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:41 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

It is really a crap shoot. I have handled 300-400 and noticed that SGC used to be most consistent. PSA is all over. PSA seems to be a bit more forgiving, but will hammer you on stains. SGC takes better consideration of stains. I have several 1914s in sec 30s and 50s with moderate staining. I had a NRMT Baker with moderate to some darker tiny stains that PSA gave me a 2 on.

Jason
Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Steven

What cards you got?

You are right, the grading can be all over the place and stains can play a role.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Dave Johnson

I have a handful, Walsh, Crawford, Clarke, Zimmermann, a few more those are the ones I can remember.

They were cards in a large collection I purchased a couple of months back...I just have zero experience with grading these.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Marty K.

Default Cracker Jack

One comment I would make is if you are lucky enough to have very clean high grade cards you should probably send to PSA ......everything else to SGC. They are by far the most accurate and I believe should be received better by collectors on this board and elsewhere...IMHO....We all would like to see pictures ...Please,.................,,Good Luck, Marty
Old 05-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
What cards you got?

You are right, the grading can be all over the place and stains can play a role.
From my experiences stains get graded all over the place too. Personally I kind of like a few light stains (not in any important areas) on my CJs....

Old 05-04-2015, 10:17 PM
A.J. Johnson

Saying that grading is all over the place is the understatement of the year when referring to CJ's. I have the cleanest Wagner with zero stains but with a hairline crease that got a 2 but others with missing corners and stains up the yazoo with a 3 or 4. It's a head scratcher. I think PSA was much more lenient on CJ's in the past and is now much stricter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wagner68psa2front.jpg (75.7 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Wagner68psa2back.jpg (77.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Demaree92psa3front.jpg (72.5 KB, 195 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 05-04-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Dave Johnson

Here are a couple I already have scans of on the computer

The crawford is in a holder hence the tape..it is not on the card

Old 05-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Steven

AJ - That's a beautiful Wagner! Very clean, very bright and very nice.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I've never submitted to PSA, but of the cards I've bought in PSA holders they have been more inconsistent. I've seen a number of very under-graded cards but also some over graded. SGC may be a bit more lax with staining, but I feel are more consistent with the issue overall.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Greg Mitchell

I had a wonderful 1914 CJ for Oldring that SGC graded a 3. But the corners and image and color all suggested a 5/6. Problem was it was rather heavily stained--not the usual ugly blotches but a somewhat uniform taint. I asked an SGC guy at a show if it might get an upgrade and he said no way because of the stainy tone. A year later I submitted to them at the same show--and it came back a 4.5. That seemed fair to me. But even SGC was all over the map on same card.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Steven

I think its amazing how many PSA 2s are out there that are virtually crease free with overall minor wear but stained, I think they make some of the best value buys. I have few that basically appear that SGC didn't discount for staining in any way and I don't think I can say that about PSA. In the end, both are fun to crack open.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Dave Johnson

You wanted to see some scans, here are the other cards other than the Crawford that I have right now...debating on selling raw, or getting graded and then selling

Man these cards are F-R-A-G-I-L-E

The Zimmermann has some residue on the back like it was in an albumn..not any paper loss that I can tell though.

Enjoy! And all comments and suggestions are welcome!

Old 05-05-2015, 09:20 PM
A.J. Johnson

Default Great example of disparity in grading CJ's

Russ Ford is a "2" with a big vertical crease, a severely rounded bottom right corner and caramel stains and Frank Owens is also a "2" with caramel stains, 4 nice corners and no creases. The Ford was graded years ago and the Owens only recently graded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford83psa2front.jpg (74.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Owens74psa2front.jpg (72.2 KB, 74 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Doug Franz

I've submitted several Cracker Jacks to both companies recently and PSA seems to grade a little more harshly. I've had a beautiful Leach and Frank Smith card each come back a 2 and an Oldring beater I was actually embarrassed to submit also come back a 2, so it's frustrating to understand what they're looking for, to say the least. That being said, you've got some nice '14s, and if one comes back a 4, now you're talking a decent chunk of change. They'll hammer you hard on the paper loss, unfortunately. I've had a little better luck with SGC and prefer them ever so slightly. Most of the guys here, with much more experience collecting than I have, will tell you a high end card in a PSA holder will do better for you.