NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 AM

Default Protect your cards from a flood!

We all think it can't happen to us, but a word of warning to all. A couple nights ago, I awoke to my entire house flooded from a broken hot water pipe. It ran about 3-4 hours and soaked through every wall. There was one room saved because my house slopes about one inch from one corner to an opposite corner and that office happened to be where I was working on my best cards. However, my closet is where I stored all my sets, wax, autographs, etc. It was on the far side of the house yet got soaked completely. Everything on the floor (bottom boxes) was damaged - Mantle and DiMaggio autos, vintage sets, 1970's to modern wax packs and boxes, etc.

Please take this as a lesson and use plastic tubs for things on the floors, or else use 2x4's or something to set everything off the floor just a bit. You cannot imagine the damage caused simply by water soaking through the walls and how fast it happens.

Mark
Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GehrigFan View Post
We all think it can't happen to us, but a word of warning to all. A couple nights ago, I awoke to my entire house flooded from a broken hot water pipe. It ran about 3-4 hours and soaked through every wall. There was one room saved because my house slopes about one inch from one corner to an opposite corner and that office happened to be where I was working on my best cards. However, my closet is where I stored all my sets, wax, autographs, etc. It was on the far side of the house yet got soaked completely. Everything on the floor (bottom boxes) was damaged - Mantle and DiMaggio autos, vintage sets, 1970's to modern wax packs and boxes, etc.

Please take this as a lesson and use plastic tubs for things on the floors, or else use 2x4's or something to set everything off the floor just a bit. You cannot imagine the damage caused simply by water soaking through the walls and how fast it happens.

Mark
Sorry to hear that, Mark.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Barry Arnold

Default flood

sorry to hear of this most difficult disaster.
your advice is sound and helpful.

best,
barry
Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

That sounds awful! Hopefully your home insurance covers that, still I'm sure no money can replace all of the hard work and memories of getting all that memorabilia. I've been putting off getting rental insurance (mostly because my roommates have it already), but after hearing this story AND the fact that a water pipe actually broke in my kitchen last week, makes me realize I definitely need to get rental insurance ASAP...that and NYC landlord's are the pits.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Dave Wilson

Very sorry to hear about this!!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:53 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

I feel your pain after having the downstairs of my home (where my office and most collectibles are located) flooded with about 6-8 inches of water a few years ago. Even seeing it coming (heavy rains and a landslide blocking the creek behind our home resulted in quickly rising waters for us and the neighbors) and frantically scrambling to get everything up off the ground and upstairs, not everything was saved. Even with shelving in the garage that kept the bottom layer of "stuff" about 3" off the floor, the water still got to it, and it is amazing how well cardboard, paper and other such items will absorb/wick water. I've since invested in large plastic tubs for most of the lower shelves, though thankfully there have been no further disasters (I'm sure there's a Murphy's Law that applies here).

For those who collect comic books, know that not all comic bags are waterproof, but many of them held up surprisingly well. I had several longboxes that were in standing water for the better part of a day. The ones that weren't bagged of course were reduced to pulp. Of the ones that were bagged, it was obvious the ones that didn't form a perfect seal, as one in every 8-10 comics was likewise turned to "soggy pulp in a bag." I don't know how toploaders and slabs would fare in a similar situation, but I wouldn't want to risk it
Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
I've been putting off getting rental insurance (mostly because my roommates have it already), but after hearing this story AND the fact that a water pipe actually broke in my kitchen last week, makes me realize I definitely need to get rental insurance ASAP...that and NYC landlord's are the pits.
DO IT. It's usually really cheap so there's no reason not to have it.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 PM
John

So sorry that happened to you. But thank you for the warning. It made me realize that my office closet, where many items stored, shares a wall with a bathroom and has pipes running thru it....
1909 - 1911 T206 Polar Bear (29/250)
1909 - 1911 T206 Basic Backs (9/16)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:39 PM

Mark,

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
DO IT. It's usually really cheap so there's no reason not to have it.
+1

Renter's Ins. only covers your stuff (the owner's ins. covers the structure) so it's usually dirt cheap. Even living in San Francisco I think it was less than $1/day.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:33 PM

Default holy smokes...

I'm so sorry! nightmare
Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Bill Gregory

I'm so sorry this happened, Mark. I hope you had insurance for water damage.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Ken McMillan

Sorry that happened to you. Living in the Socal desert we do not have flooding problems as a rule. We just have to worry about quakes and wild fires amd fortunately we are in the center of town so would have to be national news before a wildfire would get to my home. I guess there are always structural fires to worry about so I will cou t my blessings.

Kmac
Old 06-14-2014, 11:31 AM

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. It will be some time before I get to go through all the memorabilia to determine damage. I'm glad it was flood and not fire, but I was just astonished how fast the water goes all through the house and how quickly cardboard boxes wick up the water. Within 30 minutes (it flooded about 3-4 hours) the water was at the far end of the house and water soaked about 6 inches up all the boxes. Tubs tubs tubs people! Worth the few dollars extra. And I am blessed that my prewar primary collection was unharmed, and especially that family photos and such were pretty much okay. Just hoping someone else can learn from this. Also, I regret holding off on CIA collectibles insurance. Here's hoping USAA covers it all!
Old 06-14-2014, 03:58 PM

Mark, Very Sorry to hear of your awful Day. Yeah, I have everything at home up off the ground and Most in tubs, Renters Ins to boot...

Now I just fear the Night Stalker!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Sorry to hear that mark, and your right, plastic tubs or raising off the ground. Or even better just keeping them on a higher floor. I cant imagine how many people lost their cards in hurricane sandy
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:21 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Sorry to hear about this, Mark. At least, it looks like your favorite stuff made it through.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Sorry to hear about thiss Mark & thank you for the warning,
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 06-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Jeff Lowe

Always sorry to hear when this happens . I have lost some stuff myself in floods including some rare WWI Canadian Army mags , Poor Richards Almanacs and a 1875 California Gild Edge Beer Cabinet . Sucks .
Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Sorry that happened to you. Living in the Socal desert we do not have flooding problems as a rule. We just have to worry about quakes and wild fires amd fortunately we are in the center of town so would have to be national news before a wildfire would get to my home. I guess there are always structural fires to worry about so I will cou t my blessings.

Kmac
I live in Southern California too, but don't think water can't get you. A friend of mine out here had a washer water hose break while he was gone for the weekend, and he came home to water running down his driveway! It trashed his entire downstairs and required replacing all the flooring and tearing out the bottom part of the downstairs drywall.