NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Brent

Default First card graded by sgc....need help

So for christmas, my lovely wife buys me a t206. However, it is graded by sgc. I have no reason to dislike sgc as I really like their holders. The only thing is that my entire collection to date is graded by psa and I partake in the registry.

I am thinking of crossing it over but I don't know very much about this. I have never broken a card out of a holder and to be honest I am half afraid to do so. Can you submit a sgc graded card still in the holder? Is this a bad idea?

I really just need some help with this. Your advice, past experiences and knowledge would be very helpful and I would really appreciate it.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Bill Gregory

Hi Brent,

No reason to crack it unless you're submitting a card hoping for a better grade. If you're wanting it in a PSA holder, just send it in to PSA. There should be a crossover option on the sheet you submit the card with. They'll pop it from the SGC holder, grade it, and put it in one of their slabs.

I hope that helps.

Merry Christmas!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Barry

Although I am sure there are others on this board that have vastly more experience with what you are asking, I have done this many times. PSA certainly permits you to submit "crossovers" for grading. In my experience, I have never received a higher grade from PSA than the card was graded by SGC, and often the PSA grade was 0.5 or 1.0 grades lower. Thus, one needs to be careful crossing over high dollar value cards, as the subsequent "value" of the card may be hurt by a lower actual PSA grade (I am specifically not jumping into the maelstrom of the pros and cons of each of the third party graders and why it may benefit PSA or SGC to perceived as more stringent with grading). Therefore, for instance, if you were assembling a PSA 5 set and you were trying to cross over a SGC 60 to PSA, you might be disappointed with the result (although you can always submit the card with a minimum acceptable grade expectation, running the risk of getting the card back as not crossing over given your stipulation). Sometimes, it may be worthwhile cracking the card out of the holder before submitting to PSA, as (I feel) you may get a more objective grading of the card.

Out of full disclosure, I have never submitted a PSA graded to SGC for crossover, so I have no experience in the reverse of your question. Also, although I completely understand your trepidation regarding cracking out a card from its holder, SGC (and for that matter PSA) holders are actually quite easy to open, if done slowly and carefully (although practice on a low value card first just to understand what is involved).

Just my opinions and have a Happy Holiday!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Bill Gregory

PSA Crossover service

Quote:
PSA Crossover Service: PSA accepts crossover submissions on cards that have previously been graded by other services. By crossing over to PSA grading, you know you've done everything possible to maximize the value of your collection. To take advantage of this service, log on to our website, click on "Submission Center" then "Print Submission Form" and select the Crossover option. State the minimum PSA grade you will accept, and send your card to PSA in its current holder. If the card meets or exceeds the criteria for the minimum grade you've indicated, your card will be removed from its current holder, assigned its PSA grade and placed into a new PSA holder.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Brent, I would recommend leaving the card in the SGC holder and buy the same subject in a PSA holder to add to your collection. Your wife might feel bad if you change what she gave you and she finds out it wasn't exactly what you wanted. Remember, a happy wife is a happy life!

Or, start another t206 collection in all SGC!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Brent

I told her she did a terrific job. She got me a sgc 40 joe Kelley sweet cap back.i told her it's the card I want, not the holder and she selected a good card. It is a very nice card.

She won't be upset if I cross it over. I definitely do not think it should be downgraded by psa but that's just my opinion.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Great Card

Wonderful gift !! As someone esle stated just use the crossover service. Unless their is paperloss the card should crossover fine. I have had PSA crossover SGC 88 into PSA 8.5 and 9's. Not something that happens often but it happens.

Enjoy the card and your wife sounds like a keeper !!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Brent

She is a keeper. She definitely tries to understand the monster which is all i could ask for.

There is no paper loss.

If I submit for a crossover and put the least excepted grade as a 3, will they break the sgc holder?
Old 12-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker85 View Post
She is a keeper. She definitely tries to understand the monster which is all i could ask for.

There is no paper loss.

If I submit for a crossover and put the least excepted grade as a 3, will they break the sgc holder?
Your wife definitely sounds like a keeper. It took years for my wife to get "on board" with spending large sums of money on small pieces of cardboard.

To answer your question, if you put a least acceptable grade of 3, I believe that PSA will only crack the case if they believe it will cross over to a minimum of a 3. However, if they don't think it will cross over, they will send the SGC slab back to you, but they will pocket the grading and postage fees (I believe).
Old 12-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Matt

That's awesome that your lady bought you a card you want. I would proudly leave that slot on PSA Registry site blank, knowing what I have at home.

You could even add a note on The Registry describing that your set is indeed complete.

You know what you have, so who cares what random folks can see on some website.

If it had to be crossed, then I'd cross it and whatever the subjective graders there give it, whatever. It's just an awesome present so CONGRATS!
Old 12-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Dave Foster

I think PSA has a bias against crossing any card graded by another TPG, even your SGC 40, into the equivalent PSA grade. On the sub, you have to state a minimum grade acceptable. It may come back as, "doesn't meet minimum grade." Whereas, if you crack and sub raw, it might come back as "altered," or "EOT." If it does successfully cross, expect it to come back at least one grade lower. So, basically it's a crapshoot any way you go. The cross over gig is nothing more than a moneymaker for the company.