NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 AM

Default Anyone else wrestle with this?

I complete a set and the chase is over. Will I ever look at it again? Do I have a bond to it?
Have you in your collection a set you completed and then sold it off because the kids college $ is better than a binder of cards?
I would never sell my Playballs-it was started by my uncle in 1939. Never my 1955 nor 1961 Topps set. Nor my T-206.
So-did you spend time on a set, then complete it, then sell it? I am wrestling with this right now.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 AM
pete ullman

IT's a common dilemna! Personally...I've only completed 2 vintage sets...1(e90-2)...I sold as it meant nothing to me. My other...e94...is still very special to me...but...you might say the thrill is gone. I think about selling it...but for now I will keep it!

There's no doubt that once the set is complete...the allure fades! Atleast for me!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Arnie

Its tough. I have broken up Topps and Bowman sets from the mid-1950's thru 1960 and sold most of the cards. Even sold some Yankee cards. Wound up buying back all the Yankee cards i sold, that was stupid. But the rest, while i miss them, is okay since i decided to specialize in Yankees only.

However, from time to time, i wish i still that complete run of 1955 thru 1960 sets!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:28 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Not a set collector but have come close due to happenstance.
Keep the '39 Play Ball.
Cards are bought, sold and traded all the time and will still be around for you to reacquire after your kids finish college, should you desire them again (the cards, not the kids ) and when you finally pay off tuition.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:27 AM
ßrën.døn ßig.åløw

Once I finish a set I just start going about trying to perfect it. Sets never really feel complete to me...
Old 06-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlydrawncat View Post
Once I finish a set I just start going about trying to perfect it. Sets never really feel complete to me...
Agreed. A set is never really finished IMHO. The search for higher grades can go on forever. Although this may be of more importance to PSA Registry set holders.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 06-05-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Tim Caravella

My first few years collecting vintage cards I had no clue what I would keep or sell, I was changing my mind all the time. Then I came up with a plan that was perfect for me, collect a key set of my favorite team from every decade. I have to say that even though I have completed three sets so far, I constantly enjoy looking at them and don't think I will ever consider selling them. My goal is to make a card room "my museum" to display my collection of card sets and memorabilia/photos from the time periods. I have a long way to go, but I think my point is that if you can truly find what you want to collect, something that drives your desire to collect in the first place, then the question of what to do with it is simple.... enjoy it!!!, and oh yes I agree with poorly and auggie... always strive to improve it!! Collecting to collect just doesn't seem to cut it....

Tim
Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Jason Stricker

I did a 518 T206 set and afterwards felt that void of what now. And they seemed to lose some of my attention after completing the set minus a few cards. I'm still doing Hindu SLs, but even with those, my interest is slowing due to the current high prices.

I will be selling the majority of my T206s in the near future to help fund a new home purchase (as I've mentioned before), but plan on keeping my SLs and HOFs, except any dupes. It might be a little difficult to pull the trigger, as I've been talking about doing this now for 6 months, but in the end I know it will be the right decision.

I also did a W512 baseball series set, got them all graded and now they sit in a pile. I can't remember the last time I looked at them. I had planned on framing them or putting them in a display, but no such time or luck. Will I sell? Perhaps - I definitely thought about it. But so far no decision.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Er1k Greeñ.w00d

I have a few sets that have been long been complete, but I have not looked at them. Thanks for the nudge, I will take a look at them.

Erik