NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Mark Peavey

Default Mike Wheat T206 reproduction set

Just received an email from him about this. Check it out on his website. Any thoughts about this? They almost look too good.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Mark

what is the site?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

http://www.mikewheatcards.com/T206.htm

Shout out where due I think this is very cool.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM
nels0n aud.et

look verry nice !!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Jeremy W.

They do look very nice, probably too nice. I guess the "paper loss" at the bottom of the backs from "scrapbook removal" will have to be the clue that gives it away on Ebay.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

They'll do well on the secondary market. Brilliant
Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
qualitycards

Taken from their website....

Quote:
Meticulously crafted over a period of several years, this extraordinary replication of the T206 set is like none other. Precise attention to detail has been painstakingly prioritized for each card. The nuances of hue and texture for every color have been executed to the most exacting standards. Borders are to size and the thickness of the paper as well as the typeface are spot-on perfect. These cards are virtually indistinguishable from the originals.
They look great & that's what worries me
Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 PM

My question is WHY?

It isn't like T206's are hard to find or really expensive (the basic set).

It also isn't like there aren't OTHER reproduction cards out there.

So WHY is there ANOTHER repro set being made that looks so real?

These cards BETTER have some sort of way to make it obvious they are not 100 years old or the scam artists are going to have a field day. My suggestion would be to either make the backs a different color, give them fake tobacco company names or print a giant REPRINT vertically down the middle.

If stuff like this keeps up, I am seriously thinking about dumping my T206 cards for whatever I can get for them.

David
Old 05-30-2012, 02:41 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

"If stuff like this keeps up, I am seriously thinking about dumping my T206 cards for whatever I can get for them."

Really? They have markings at the bottom. Anyone can make nice copies if they really put thier mind to it...so I can't spend to many nights not sleeping over this.

As for cheap on the basic set I agree as soon as you can let me know how one goes about getting a basic set of T206's for $185.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Default T206

The backs do have "Reproduction MWC 2012" stamped on the back. I know this probably won't stop most scammers and I suspect a large number of them will have a mysterious piece of back missing at this spot.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 PM

1) Just because they have markings on the bottom does not mean somebody scam artist wont be able to find a way to remove those marks. The thing with reprints in the past is that the fronts weren't that great and were OBVIOUSLY fake. The problem now is, people are getting better at making the fronts more realistic. So, now the scam artists have a better base to start with.

2) Yes, T206's are cheap. I read these boards basically everyday and I see how MANY collectors here have T206's. I see that they have or are close to having the basic set. I see that some have even more than one set based on the different tobacco company. So, in the grand scheme of things, with so many people having so many cards, I say that these cards are cheap. I can not say the same thing about E107's or Coupon cigarettes....

3) In my opinion, if I can not own an original card, I DO NOT WANT A REPRINT, no matter what the cost. All reprints do for me is tell me that I have failed at my goal and it rubs it in that I either can not find that card for the set or that I can not afford that card for the set.

As far as $185 dollars goes, that would be what, five or six REAL T206 commons in VG condition? If I am on a limited budget (which I am) there is no way I would want to spend close to $200 dollars on a fake set when I could just as easily go on eBay and pick up a few REAL cards for my collection.

Now, I am sure others are going to disagree with what I have just written and that is fine. They can collect the way they see fit just as I can. However, what I see happening is the day is getting closer that scam artists are going to find ways to reproduce T206 cards to such an extent that they look REAL that there are going to be people NOT collecting them or dumping them because of it. That is why I say I am getting closer to dumping my REAL cards while I can get some money out of them instead of waiting until the day the bottom drops out....

David
Old 05-30-2012, 03:57 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post

3) In my opinion, if I can not own an original card, I DO NOT WANT A REPRINT, no matter what the cost. All reprints do for me is tell me that I have failed at my goal and it rubs it in that I either can not find that card for the set or that I can not afford that card for the set.

As far as $185 dollars goes, that would be what, five or six REAL T206 commons in VG condition? If I am on a limited budget (which I am) there is no way I would want to spend close to $200 dollars on a fake set when I could just as easily go on eBay and pick up a few REAL cards for my collection.

the set is beautifull but i will never spend 185$ on reprint cards. I prefer invest my 185 into a couple of real t206 for my set. But this set look amazing.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

“It isn't like T206's are hard to find or really expensive (the basic set).”

Perhaps some folks don’t have the cash for a basic set which is once again is well above $185 dollars unless you have some system I’m unaware of.

Second perhaps some collectors don’t have an interest in a few betters or one or two nice cards. Perhaps they would prefer this to each his own.

Third some folks may prefer this to normal cheap reprints so that nice displays could be framed etc. Some collectors I assume wouldn’t be happy with big marks or purple American Beauty cards framed up for a display piece. Nor would they want to frame up their current real T206’s in his or her office or home.

Final crazy idea perhaps the seller made them for a bigger market than Net54 or vintage T206 collectors. I know it’s really hard to grasp but the hobby is a bit larger than the few of us who gather here and shoot the breeze.

As for fake cards ending up in the hands of bad guys sure an option, but lighten up there have been bogus good looking fakes in this hobby for years of all sorts of issues. Even the same seller of these made amazing T3 reprints and a board member made high quality back reprints and sold them via the BST haven’t seen anyone up in arms on those.

Also in terms of other hobbies reprints high quality reprints have been around forever. How many of you guys have fake art, vintage Moulin Rouge posters,fake china, fake diamonds, reproduction furniture etc. All of these things can be viewed the same way why have a fake poster for your kitchen buy the real thing. Having reproductions doesn’t make one a failure that’s silly.

I think it’s a neat thing it gives the avg. person the chance to own something that most if not all of us would not be able to put together. A full set of T206 cards with all errors, backs and key rarities. Let us also not forget that many folks first taste of vintage is reprints. This ends up being a gateway or stepping stone to the real thing which is a great thing.

I would prefer taking a risk and opening more folk’s eyes to this set than the few dirt bags who may use these in the wrong way. Besides the dirt bags are already way ahead and if they wanted to do this they could or already have.

My only beef here is it's not $19.99 so more folks could get a set if they wanted one.

Cheers,

John
Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM
JimRoss
Banned

Wow.. I have to buy as many as I can since I have already spotted some design error on those backs. Look at that BL460.... it looks diff than those real BL460s. I would expect such design error (even on reprints) worth millions $. LOL
Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 AM

I had a set of these in my hand at the Pittsburgh show. Mike did a great job on these and worked very hard to make the colors right. He also distributes a few of the rare backs with each set and mixes them up. He has the word reprint on the bottom but very small. Could be trouble if the wrong people get them.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM

I agree with John in post 13-- to each his own. Not everybody that buys a reprint set does so with nefarious intentions. I personally have T205 and T206 reprint sets purchased for about 80 bucks total that will be framed and displayed in a home theater room-- I view the sets as history and art, much like a Monet. Would love complete sets but not willing to drop $10-20K for them-- at this point, kids college, old muscle cars, and wife's wardrobe take priority

While some folks will undoubtedly try to pass these off as real I think the greater benefit will be introducing new folks to a fascinating slice of the hobby--my reprint sets led me to net54 and the great community that exists on this board.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:48 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
I had a set of these in my hand at the Pittsburgh show. Mike did a great job on these and worked very hard to make the colors right.
Not even the ATC bothered to get the colors right.

What printing process are these done in?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I ordered a set the other day; I bagged the real set last year but this will fill in nicely.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:27 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdoe View Post
I agree with John in post 13-- to each his own. Not everybody that buys a reprint set does so with nefarious intentions. I personally have T205 and T206 reprint sets purchased for about 80 bucks total that will be framed and displayed in a home theater room-- I view the sets as history and art, much like a Monet. Would love complete sets but not willing to drop $10-20K for them-- at this point, kids college, old muscle cars, and wife's wardrobe take priority

While some folks will undoubtedly try to pass these off as real I think the greater benefit will be introducing new folks to a fascinating slice of the hobby--my reprint sets led me to net54 and the great community that exists on this board.
Amen, you said it way better than I did.

Cheers,

John