NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Interesting quote on our... hobby

"Collectors often decried how money had ruined their hobby, making it hard for them to form meaningful friendships through their cards. Money, however, made the hobby not only profitable but also more serious, more instrumental, and therefore more manly. The same collectors who complained about greed often bragged in the same interview about the value of their cards. Yet money, in turn, made the hobby less akin to child's play and more like work: lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating." - Author John Bloom in A House of Cards (1997)"
Old 11-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Fred

Interesting quote. I remember when it was just a hobby. Sure, the cards had value but the people involved really loved the cardboard for what it was, not what it was worth. I'm not saying that everybody thinks with $$$ signs but collecting photos/lithos of dead guys isn't the same as it was 25+ years ago. "When it was a hobby" it was pretty fun, not so cut throat and certainly not near as expensive (relative to what a dollar is worth now). It did remove some of that "nerd" status from collectors. Some of those guys now look like geniuses.

Ah crap, I still love these little pieces of cardboard.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Joe P.

Default The current hobby is divided into two groups .....

Those that collect, and those that have a stock portfolio with a price in mind.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Clayton

I agree Joe,but I may be a little of both.I love collecting pre-war cards,T206 being my main focus-and I love looking at everyone's CJ's,Caramels,Zeenuts,etc.,,,,,but I also think that 25-30 years down the road I may sell off my collection to add to my retirement.At that point I'm sure I would start building another collection,for I do love collecting these cards.I can stare at them for hours(just ask my wife).I guess my point is that I also enjoy the fact that they happen to be valuable,as well as very exciting to collect.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Johnny S

As crazy as the hobby can be and where it has gone, I think we all get a calming sense of peace while working on an impossible puzzle. Just like anything, greed and corruption are around every corner but at the heart of it are a lot of good people. Right on to the real, death to the fakers !
Old 12-01-2009, 04:04 AM
Steven Finley

"Yet money, in turn, made the hobby less akin to child's play and more like work: lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating."

Then why the heck am I here 30 times a day?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Frank Wakefield

Yes, Joe...

We can be dicotimized into those of us who wish their cards were worth more, and those who wish the cards were worth less so we could collect more.

Leon, is this the book that explains about how Upper Deck owners sneaked into their plant and printed extra cards to privately sell? That is one eyeopening book, especially for collectors of modern cards.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Rich Klein

Default Frank the book you are referring to

Is Card Sharks; written by Pete Williams

Last edited by Rich Klein; 12-01-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default A couple things

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Yes, Joe...

We can be dicotimized into those of us who wish their cards were worth more, and those who wish the cards were worth less so we could collect more.

Leon, is this the book that explains about how Upper Deck owners sneaked into their plant and printed extra cards to privately sell? That is one eyeopening book, especially for collectors of modern cards.
First of all I have not read the book I quoted. I don't read much but do like looking at the pictures. Also, I don't necessarily agree with the quote I stated. I found it on the internet and thought it was thought provoking so annied it up. I love the hobby more than most and would love it without the money aspect. But, obviously the money aspect of it makes it more intriguing, at least to me. Don't get me wrong too, I am a capitalist and do believe in capitalism (but that is for some off topic forum we never created). As the poster above mentioned I think we can be both collector and capitalist in the hobby. If I had to choose I would still take the hobby, and all it has going for it, over the money. best regards
Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Paul

Default Karl Marx Collected Baseball Cards?

"money, in turn, made the hobby less akin to child's play and more like work: lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating"

The author defines "work" as "lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating." He should have changed jobs. Not to turn this into Sociology 101, but this is a very Marxist comment, i.e., capitalism's alienating effect on people. That is, of course, the great debate that should not be taking place on this forum on a macroeconomic level.

Given this forum's very existence, the value of baseball cards has done anything but alienate collectors.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 12-01-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Josh Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
First of all I have not read the book I quoted. I don't read much but do like looking at the pictures. Also, I don't necessarily agree with the quote I stated. I found it on the internet and thought it was thought provoking so annied it up. I love the hobby more than most and would love it without the money aspect. But, obviously the money aspect of it makes it more intriguing, at least to me. Don't get me wrong too, I am a capitalist and do believe in capitalism (but that is for some off topic forum we never created). As the poster above mentioned I think we can be both collector and capitalist in the hobby. If I had to choose I would still take the hobby, and all it has going for it, over the money. best regards
Leon, I agree. Why can't we both love to collect cards, but also love that they appreciate in value? I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Rich Klein

Default Iirc

The book Leon found the quote on actually focused on a bunch of collectors from Minnesota. I have that book somewhat buried here and from what I recall it's not that well written nor does the book really break new ground.

Regards
Rich
Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
"money, in turn, made the hobby less akin to child's play and more like work: lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating"

The author defines "work" as "lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating." He should have changed jobs. Not to turn this into Sociology 101, but this is a very Marxist comment, i.e., capitalism's alienating effect on people. That is, of course, the great debate that should not be taking place on this forum on a macroeconomic level.

Given this forum's very existence, the value of baseball cards has done anything but alienate collectors.
Oh puh-lease, that is not a Marxist comment about capitalism, it is simply a comment from someone who doesn't like his job. No need to label it with a grandiose political commentary--sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

As far as the actual issue of the post goes, I collected when I was part of a community of nerds meeting once a month in a church basement with other nerds to trade cardboard pictures of our idols, I collected as it became big business, and I will collect even if it fades back into the background. It's in my DNA. My collection isn't going anywhere regardless of whether it goes up or down in value, unless someone offers me life-altering money for it, which ain't likely to happen. I just wish I could afford to buy even more cards than I already do, so I vote for a temporary price drop, just until I can finish some sets.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
The book Leon found the quote on actually focused on a bunch of collectors from Minnesota. I have that book somewhat buried here and from what I recall it's not that well written nor does the book really break new ground.

Regards
Rich

There are "bunches" of collectors in Minnesota?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 AM
John Startleman

I think people take this topic far too seriously. Just because "you" (no one specific) don't enjoy the hobby anymore, doesn't mean everyone else no longer does. I am 32 and have been collecting since 1989. I mainly sell and I also collect mainly HOF graded RCs. I am having more fun now than I EVER have in the hobby.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 12-01-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Joe P.

Default Bravo! Adam Bravo! .....

I have no idea where this guy gets his Marxist/Capitalism ideas from.

The facts are that there are some that collect cards for the enjoyment of filling an empty slot in a set. __ A sublimation that has worked for me till this day.

We also have those that buy/sell, in order to buy cards that they collect at a savings.

Then we have the Investor/flippers, that get the enjoyment that the stock market fails to give ... mainly because they understand baseball more than they understand stocks ... providing that the market is up.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the fact is, all of the above is what makes up our cardboard hobby/business, and all of the above is legit and not a crime.
To each his own.

Now what's all this crap about Marxist, and Capitalism?
Some of you sound like Madam LaFarge, from "A tale of two Cities".

"Off with his head!"

"Burn the books!"

"Down with freedom of speech!"

"Delete it!"

Last edited by Potomac Yank; 12-01-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Explain Madam LaFarge
Old 12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

It did remove some of that "nerd" status from collectors. Some of those guys now look like geniuses.

Ever tell a girl you collect cards in the first 5 minutes of a conversation
Old 12-01-2009, 12:43 PM

For me personally, it's the love of collecting. Sure, I do sell for the right price, but that's because sometimes these little pieces of cardboard become too expensive to justify keeping.

I'd rather hold $100 of disposable income in a vintage piece of cardboard than one paper.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Jason

Default Michael,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
There are "bunches" of collectors in Minnesota?
Yes, they live in relative seclusion, coming out of their caves only at night to hunt for food and their favorite collectables. Like most creatures of the night, they are oddly interesting in their appearnace, but they are a peaceful people. If you are lucky, you might catch a glimpse of one if you leave out a few cards on your porch overnight!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Frank Wakefield

Thank you, Rich. Yes, that's the book. Anyone collecting cards should read that book. Most won't. But they should...
Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Paul

Default a couple of brief responses

First of all, my comment could hardly be termed "grandiose political commentary," unless you were reading into it some political agenda that uses Marxism as a sort of boogey man.

The simple fact is that the last time I heard about jobs being alienating was in college during Soc. 101, where we studied Karl Marx. I was not intending to suggest that the author of this book was a Marxist -- or that he even knows who Marx is -- but rather that the quoted language reminded me of Marxism. How can a statement that equates work with alienation not be considered Marxist in nature? Just like Gordon Gekko saying "greed is good" is a capitalist comment.

Let me try it another way, Marx, like the author of this book, failed in my opinion to see the communal value in a vibrant marketplace, e.g., our very own B/S/T.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 12-02-2009 at 07:25 AM.