NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Phil Garry

Default B & L Auction Pick-Ups

Congrats on another nice auction, guys. I picked up one item, the W601 Philadelphia (AL) premium in pretty rough shape but it fills a hole in my collection so I am happy with it.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:39 AM

I picked up the N310 Mayo Peter Jackson SGC 50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peter Jackson.jpg (68.7 KB, 581 views)
Old 10-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Thanks to all

Thanks to all who participated. If nothing else we set a record (I sort of hope doesn't get broken) of being the latest ending auction we have had. Don't get me wrong, I (and Scott) are very grateful for all of the bids. It's just that after about 2am CST I start getting a bit tired. We will do invoices today and tomorrow and I am sure they will be on line by tomorrow. I think we will be sending out another email to all registrants to make sure everyone gets the details. As always if you want a paper invoice we will be more than happy to send one but you will have to ask. Scott is going with the green initiative thing and I am cheap . It was a fun auction with a ton of new bidders and many of the ole regulars. best regards
Old 10-18-2009, 12:34 PM
D.B. Cooper

Plugged 3 more holes in this tough little set. 12 to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Easterly.jpg (70.7 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg Mundorff.jpg (71.4 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg Nagle.jpg (72.0 KB, 499 views)
Old 10-18-2009, 02:34 PM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Well, I thought I would be posting a scan of the Obak Carson since I was the only bidder at the time the extended bidding began but a bid from someone at 1:58 am was allowed and I lost the card. I must have misunderstood because I assumed that if you didn't have a bid at the time of the extended bidding you weren't allowed to place a bid during extended bidding and if there was only one person who bid, they automatically won.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Robert A

Was trying for:

T204 Wallace
T204 TTT
T207 Blackburne

Ended up 0 for 3, but had a good time following the auction.

Thanks S @ L.

Rob
Old 10-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

Default Auction Terms

The Brockelman & Luckey auction will close with an “open-ended” 15-minute rule. Like a standard 15-minute rule auction, the sale will go into 15-minute rule mode starting on closing day at 9 p.m. EST. However, under the “open-ended” rules, ANY bidder can bid at ANY time on ANY lot in the auction, either before the start of the 15-minute rule or even after the 15-minute rule begins. Hence, even if a bidder has not bid on any particular lot in the sale, under the terms of the “open-ended” 15-minute rule they are able to bid on any lot in the sale even after that start of the 15-minute rule. The extended bidding period will continue until there are no new bids on any item in the entire auction--either by phone or via the internet--for a period of approximately fifteen (15) minute interval. At that time, the auction will close.

Tbob,
In the terms and conditions portion of the website, it was stated that anyone could bid on any lot at any time until the close of the auction. I lost one at like 2:30 AM. I was sound asleep by then.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Rawn Hill

Closed way too late even for the west coast, but I did score another one.

Check is on the way, thanks Scott and Leon.

Rawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carrigan e-95.jpg (60.7 KB, 440 views)

Last edited by carrigansghost; 10-18-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Banned

Default Auction Pick-ups

I won four cards in last nights auction. I was pleased to add this lot to the collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e92 Dockman Larry McLean PSA 4.jpg (54.2 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg e90-2 Fred Clarke SGC 30.jpg (70.8 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg e95 Cy Morgan SGC 40.jpg (71.3 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg Tango Eggs Bob Bescher SGC 84.jpg (68.8 KB, 429 views)
Old 10-18-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog007 View Post
The Brockelman & Luckey auction will close with an “open-ended” 15-minute rule. Like a standard 15-minute rule auction, the sale will go into 15-minute rule mode starting on closing day at 9 p.m. EST. However, under the “open-ended” rules, ANY bidder can bid at ANY time on ANY lot in the auction, either before the start of the 15-minute rule or even after the 15-minute rule begins. Hence, even if a bidder has not bid on any particular lot in the sale, under the terms of the “open-ended” 15-minute rule they are able to bid on any lot in the sale even after that start of the 15-minute rule. The extended bidding period will continue until there are no new bids on any item in the entire auction--either by phone or via the internet--for a period of approximately fifteen (15) minute interval. At that time, the auction will close.

Tbob,
In the terms and conditions portion of the website, it was stated that anyone could bid on any lot at any time until the close of the auction. I lost one at like 2:30 AM. I was sound asleep by then.
In big red letters during extended bidding didn't it state that you had to have a bid on an item prior to a certain time in order to qualify? I could be mistaken, but I though I saw as such.

James
Old 10-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Barry Arnold

Default auction

great fun!
i've now won in 3 of the 4 auctions and am happy to add the White Sox postcard to my 'type' collecting.
I wondered what night owl could beat me on the T209-1 and guessed it was either tbob or Prof.B, since they're my late night competition!!!
And i was right, it was my good friend, the Prof---so i'm even happy about that!
best,
barry
Old 10-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 0pen ended rule for the last 2 months....and 2 emails later......

We used the open ended rule. The rules stated this for the last month or two:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: OUR AUCTION WILL CLOSE USING THE “OPEN ENDED” 15-MINUTE RULE

Also this email was put out TO ALL registered users after 38 minutes into the extended bidding:

"Dear Leon,
The 15 minute rule is in effect in the current Brockelman and Luckey auction. Everyone, regardless of if you bid on a lot before the extended bidding started or not, can still bid on any lot. Good luck to all.
regards
Scott and Leon
www.b-lauctions.com"

This email was put out to ALL REGISTERED bidders with approximately 6 hours left in regular bidding: (paraphrased) and I will admit it went an hour or so later than we thought it would....

"ALSO, there is a new method for our late bidders. Even if you HAVE NOT bid on a lot before the extended time you can still bid on it after the extended time starts. We believe this will help both bidders and consignors. We don't expect the auction to go past 12am-1am but only your bids will be the determining factor. As always we can not see up to bids and we are not allowed to bid in our own auction so please feel comfortable in placing an up to bid if you need to. Good luck!! best regards
Scott and Leon
www.b-lauctions.com"

***So, if anyone got caught not knowing the rules we apologize. Scott and I had a high level meeting this morning and discussed the closing. Most likely our auctions will close in this format from now on. If anyone wants to wait to bid, or bid later because of it, then they can certainly do that. I do agree it ended very late.......but bids were coming in and the auction had rules and they were strictly adhered too. I honestly don't know if there was a blurb about what James said but I will check into it. There shouldn't have been BUT regardless of that the rules page and the last 2 emails spelled it out. Thanks again and sorry if anyone missed out on anything......I know people hate to put max bids in but it is an option.....A few people did (obviously as their bids were enacted when someone else bid on items) and I think those folks got what they wanted.....Again, I/we understand there are a variety of (valid) reasons not to want to do that....regards

Old 10-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Barry Sloate

One thing I learned in my many years of doing auctions is most people don't read the rules, no matter how strongly you urge them to do so.

Even I wasn't aware of this rule until Leon pointed it out to me. I'm guilty as charged.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Steve Murray

Old 10-18-2009, 04:41 PM

Hi Barry,
Sorry about that my friend. I have a three hour advantage on you.
JimB
Old 10-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Barry Sloate

I never stay up late for auctions. I leave ceiling bids and I'm done. It worked very well for me last night.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Barry Arnold

Default JimB

no problem,ole friend.
does the time difference mean that you're really not a nightowl after all?

the Walsh is a beaut! i can't believe it got a 1.
i think it may be the one that Steve (Jacklitsch) had some time back.

congrats
best,
barry
Old 10-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Barry Sloate

Jim- you were addressing Barry A., but I thought you were addressing my prior post. And yours made no sense. Now it makes sense.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Barry S.

We're not fellow nightowls but we're sure fellow computer geniuses!

best,

barry A.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default clarification

It was brought to my attention by a respected board member (at least in his own mind ....just kidding) that the auction did have a blurb about NOT being able to bid on an item if you hadn't bid on it going into extended bidding, when the extended bidding started....and then 20-30 minutes later that message was changed to reflect the correct ending method. Quite honestly I don't think I even saw the first message as I am usually in a different part of the software than where that would show. Once again, our apologies for any issues that may have been caused by this slight mishap. best regards
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
qu@n nguy3n

it's the not the best looking 1, but probably 30x cheaper than a t208 back. i also find the baker to be the toughest hof'er in the e104 set, see alot more benders/collins/planks/macks. i've wanted a baker for a long time.

(looking to upgrade if anybody has a decent sgc20-40)

Old 10-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Steve Murray

Love the T209-1's. I still have my Walsh.

Long term project.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Steve M.

I remembered that you had one but didn't realize that you were lucky enough to still have it in hand!!!!
Congrats!
Are you near completion of the 16?

best,
barry
Old 10-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Craig Wright

I picked up a few women last night ...

Old 10-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default My first E card

Bid on three and won the card that I wanted the most. First time that I bid and won on a major purchase outside of eBay. I hope to win many more in the future.

Thanks Scott and Leon for running the auction,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hal chase.jpg (5.6 KB, 334 views)
Old 10-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Leon and Scott- not a problem. I've struck out twice on trying to upgrade my 09 Obak Carson, once too late on the BST and now this one. I'll keep trying, one will come up again eventually.tbob
Old 10-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default James

James, I agree with you. The individual auction pages did state in red letters that you couldn't bid on an item if you hadn't already placed a bid.

Also, under terms and conditions, in one paragraph it states that the 15 minute rule begins at 7:00 CST, and in the next paragraph it says the 15 minute rule begins at 9:00 EST, so I wasn't quite sure when it would begin.

Another problem is the individual auction pages said something like "refresh the page to check the remaining time", but there wasn't a countdown clock that I could see.

Even though I didn't win anything, (I still had a high bid on one item when I went to bed), this was an excellent auction with some great items.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Brian Daniels

Default pick ups!

I won the Sea Captain N-127s and womens baseball N-165s for my sets!
Old 10-18-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post

Another problem is the individual auction pages said something like "refresh the page to check the remaining time", but there wasn't a countdown clock that I could see.
The countdown clock was visible on each lot if you clicked and went into the lot...there was a strange thing I experienced though - the clock worked great when I viewed the auction in Explorer, but when I switched computers and used Firefox as the web browser, it was not possible to get a countdown clock...strange!

I was very happy with the auction and scored 4 lots, including 2 great T207s I needed for my Bosox collection...I've been searching for a nice Speaker for awhile now:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T207 Speaker (SGC 50).jpg (45.4 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg T207 Henriksen (PSA 6).jpg (58.1 KB, 308 views)
Old 10-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default BoSox

Maybe that was my problem. I normally use Google Chrome rather than IE, so maybe that is why the clock wasn't visible on the individual auction pages.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Maybe that was my problem. I normally use Google Chrome rather than IE, so maybe that is why the clock wasn't visible on the individual auction pages.

Rick
Hi Rick,

That might have been it. Hope you fare better next time!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 10-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Craig Wright

Quote:

Rick
Hi Rick,

I have the same problem with Google Chrome and Firefox. IE is the only browser I've been able to see the countdown clock with (I haven't tried Opera or Netscape). It's not really any big deal, just check every 15 minutes and see if the auction is still going.

Best Regards,
Craig
Old 10-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
I was very happy with the auction and scored 4 lots, including 2 great T207s I needed for my Bosox collection...I've been searching for a nice Speaker for awhile now:

Nice pickups Blair! Same to Rawn for the E-95 Carrigan. And nice auction Scott and Leon. Had kind of a mini REA feel with the Saturday night closing and late hours.

My pickups and I am not about to challenge Rob D as this was my first Lajoie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lajoie.jpg (76.6 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg Karger.jpg (57.7 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg Karger Back.jpg (54.9 KB, 328 views)
Old 10-18-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
no problem,ole friend.
does the time difference mean that you're really not a nightowl after all?

the Walsh is a beaut! i can't believe it got a 1.

congrats
best,
barry
I have tried to be less of a night owl since I have a two year old who is a definite morning person. When i am not careful, I end up with very little sleep and that is not good for me.
JimB
Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Pup6913

nice Karger Mr. Steele.

I ran short on sales this moth so I did not have the norm or above spending $. Plus Scott B and a few others wipe me out prety quick last month. Good buys though and hope to see the auctions get better for Leon and Scott.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 AM

Nice auction. I am happy to add the 1928 Averill,

Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928averill.jpg (71.2 KB, 265 views)
Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
Nice pickups Blair!
Hi Michael,

Congrats on your pickups! I really liked that Karger you got (and the price was excellent), but I had picked up a lesser one earlier this year, so I made myself focus on cards I need to acquire, rather than upgrades.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1928 W565 full sheet w/Gehrig

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Sandy Schwartz

Was verry happy to add this to my type collection.
JROG, that Clarke is a beautiful card, enjoy!
Leon, thanks for an excellent auction!

Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 PM

I'm too lazy to download images from the auction to re-post them here. But I was happy to win the W553 Gehrig and the Dizzy Dean Service Station card. Next time I'm on the Tamiami Trial, I'll have to stop by Ol' Diz's place.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I'm too lazy to download images from the auction to re-post them here.
You don't need to download/upload to post an image - you can just reference the URL and use the image button (looks like two mountains).
Congrats on your wins!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Hell yea... two mountains!

Sorry Matt, just returned from biketoberfest.