NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2009, 12:38 PM

Default what do you guys think this W600 would grade?

hey guys. looking for a few opinions on this W600 Donovan i've had for a while and haven't gotten graded. it has an obvious stain that looks to me like century old coffee and a few small flecks of paper loss. is it unrealistic to hold out hope for a 2? or am i destined for a 1 or 1.5? there aren't any creases and the back is a flawless snow white. do you think it would be worth my time and money to try to have the stain professionally removed? thanks.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my guess

I think it would be a 20 but could get a 10. If it gets a 30 I would be very surprised. Just my opinion but I am usually pretty close...
Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Default Grade

I would guess a 20, outside shot at a 30
Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Phil Garry

I agree that an SGC 20 would be the most likely grade. With the paper loss, although minimal, taken into account, even if the stain were removed I doubt it would grade higher than a 30 and for a relatively unknown player, it would probably not be worth the cost of professional restoration.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:35 PM

Sgc 10
Old 05-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Phil, no offense but Patsy Donovan is not a nobody. His stats are better than many that have been enshrined in Cooperstown. He is one of the greatest of the early Irish ballplayers with over 2250 hits and a lifetime .300 hitter.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

SGC 10, if an attempt wasn't made at cleaning the thing. Nice card
Old 05-13-2009, 02:47 PM

thanks for all the replies guys. i wouldn't call patsy donovan a nobody either, guy had a very solid career. the card is gorgeous if not for that damned stain. the tiny bit of paper loss doesn't bother me. i posted because i'm at a crossroads in respect to getting the card graded or just leaving it be. the over sized holders are expensive. what do you guys think?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Doug C.

If you are planning on holding on to it, I'd just leave it be and save the money.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM

i'm not looking at it as a card i'm going to have forever. since i got it for a good price i'm thinking about using it to fund another purchase. thats why i'm trying to decide if i should grade it or not. i don't think the grade would change the value much but some people will only buy graded cards.

Last edited by packs; 05-13-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default grade it

If you are selling it you will be better off getting it slabbed imo. I sent in 4 cards today that will all be 10's ....I may get one 20 out of them. They are going to be sold and as long as I think the $15-$20 (they are slightly larger cards) will be recouped then it's a good idea. I agree too that some folks will only buy slabbed so the number of bidders might increase too. regards