NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-16-2015, 07:27 AM
Joe

Default Rare SPALDING EXECUTIONER Football Mask

This is an exceptionally rare mask, especially considering the remarkable condition. Seller ended early, I imagine not because he/she got a good offer (since it was a BIN w/ a OBO), but presumably because they learned or were informed it was worth more than they are asking. I do not know, and am not expert with football, but curious of the opinions of the football experts on the board...this is a beauty!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awesome-Rare...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 10-16-2015, 08:26 AM

Default mask

the exact masked (same condition markings etc) sold on ebay about 3-4 weeks ago for around $250 (listed as GIMP mask) but the original seller did not say it had a spalding logo on it
Old 10-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Joe

Very interesting....BTW, wasn't sure what GIMP meant, so searched on GIMP mask on ebAy....ugh . Even without Spalding marks, $250 is a ridiculous steal and the buyer of that new what they were getting. The original seller is probably kicking themselves over not knowing what they had. I assume it was completely wrongly listed, so most sports/football buyers wouldn't have seen it. If the original seller had at least put Spalding in the title, even not knowing what that meant, that would have pulled in the right people who would recognize it as Football. Wow!

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 10-16-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Joe

Here is the orginal listing...thanks Ron. I couldn't find this before. You certainly get a better view of the mask in the original listing, and I take back what I said in that it wasn't completely missed by the sports crowd, albeit not listed as football. Like how it was listed under "weird stuff". Still very curious of the opinion of the football folks on the forum. If I had seen it I would have gone way higher than $250. Being Spalding, I could see this going $3-5K+ maybe more?? Or maybe I am just way off...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131609023272...272%26_rdc%3D1
Old 10-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Banned

this has happened before with this type of mask, one was at a garage sale and someone always got it for nearly free several years ago, but the seller figured out it must be valuable and ended up not selling it for a song at that time.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I have not seen this style of mask before. I would be interested to hear what a football helmet expert would say. How can one be sure it's a football mask? I can see why people would think as its kind of a combo mask / nose guard, but couldn't it also a early mask from another sport? Hopefully someone can provide more detail. Thanks
Old 10-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Joe

I have seen this before. It's definetly a football mask/nose guard...that much I know. Here is a Spalding adv....see the guard on the bottom right.

image.jpg
Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 PM
Joe

Here is an image from Chris Hornung's football website, and the Tibi collection.

image.jpg
Old 10-16-2015, 05:46 PM
P.hil €lli$

No doubt, absolutely football.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:49 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

So is this just a portion of those displays? Was this worn then the helmet on top or was it connected to the helmet?
Old 10-17-2015, 07:51 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
So is this just a portion of those displays? Was this worn then the helmet on top or was it connected to the helmet?
Yes, this particular piece was strapped on your head and then you put your helmet over this.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:54 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Hey Joe and Ron,

I think some of the confusion regarding this mask stems from the fact that Clint Benedict wore a similar example due to an nose injury in 1930. Oh, I should point out for our Baseball-centric friends that Clint Benedict was a Hall of Fame goaltender in the 1910's/20's for the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Maroons. I would assume he wore an example of the type of football mask being discussed, but the fact that this early goaltender was known to have worn it, the obvious conclusion would be that it must be a "hockey" mask, hence the confusion and lack of intetest/knowledge among most collectors. As mentioned, this is just an assumption on my part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.6 KB, 161 views)
Old 10-17-2015, 08:27 AM
pariah1107

Great looking football mask. Anyone who has not done so, I highly recommend visiting Antique footballs virtual museum mentioned above. The example of a ca. 1925 Goldsmith executioner helmet on Chris Hornung's site is one of the coolest pieces of sports equipment I've seen:

http://www.antiquefootball.com/virtu..._1920-1930.htm

Last edited by pariah1107; 10-17-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Chris Hornung

Default Football Nose Mask

Hey guys,

Sorry I'm late to this discussion.

I mentioned this style mask on page 4 of my March 2015 article on the history of the football nose mask.

http://www.antiquefootball.com/nosemask_history.htm

These sole leather face guards were introduced in the early 1920's as a replacement for the rubber nosemask. Worn primarily by linemen susceptible to nose injuries, they don't come up for sale that often because they weren't particularly popular. They were uncomfortable, hot, and limited visibility.

While also unpopular, the executioner masks that came out in the mid-1920's were a better solution for players looking for face protection as they were positioned off of the face instead of directly on it.

I may do a more extensive write up on this mask as my November Artifact of the Month article.

Chris
www.antiquefootball.com