NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Doug

Default E92 question

Hi. This is probably a stupid ? but when you are collection an E92 set how do you do it. There's Nadja, Dockman, Crofts candy and cocoa. Do you mix them all together or do the backs need to stay seperate. Is it one set or 4 different ones? These colors are freaking awesome. Also the prices seem to be all over the place. What are the prices for common raw good, vg. Thanks for any answers and I apologize for my ignorance.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Monster guys mix backs, generally
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Doug

I don't think i asked the ? right. Does each back have it's own set or where the companies in it together like t206.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillies*phan View Post
I don't think i asked the ? right. Does each back have it's own set or where the companies in it together like t206.

Each company had it's own set but, as Steve said, most old time collectors collect E92 by fronts only. Most newer collectors, myself included, collect the backs as (different) subsets of E92. Last time I went over to see my friend John Esch's collection he had all of his E92 in a binder together, with no recollection of the back types. He's more of an old school collector (and one of my favorite guys in the hobby). Good question....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe92croftsredbacksx42nd.jpg (75.9 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg pe92nadja3x.jpg (79.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg pe92croftscandymattyblack.jpg (60.1 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg pf211croftcocoas.jpg (77.6 KB, 195 views)
Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Doug

Thanks Leon. Is one back more valuable than another
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Jeff

Also I believe that the "set" size varies by back type. Going from memory here I believe that the Croft's & Allen/Croft's Candy have 40 players, Dockman maybe 50 and Nadja more than that.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Also I believe that the "set" size varies by back type. Going from memory here I believe that the Croft's & Allen/Croft's Candy have 40 players, Dockman maybe 50 and Nadja more than that.
I was just about to type the same thing. I believe the Nadja are the priciest as I started a similar thread months ago thinking about starting the set...then reminded myself that CJs arent cheap and I needed to stay focused. The Matty image is one of my absolute favorite of all-time...

Last edited by rainier2004; 01-13-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillies*phan View Post
Thanks Leon. Is one back more valuable than another
Dockman's seen to be fairly common compared to the others and no premium is associated. The St.Louis Nadja's had a huge find many years ago and those are not too expensive and are common. The other Nadja's are tougher, and will command some premium many times, while the Crofts Candy (blue and red) and Croft's Cocoa seem to have premiums associated with them. The red backed Candy cards are the toughest and have the largest premium. Hope this helps..
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Hey Doug,

Personally, I would consider each a separate set but would not discount anyone from saying they have a complete set with a mixture of backs.

Recently I've been looking into the practicality of doing a Nadja set. What I've found is that there are a few cards that are extremely difficult with likely only a handful of examples. In addition, there are a few cards that have not even been confirmed. Therefore, the Nadja set may not be 62 cards, but does have the St. Louis players not found with the other backs. I can't speak for the others backs.

Dj
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Jeff

Again from memory, pretty sure Cobb is in all of the sets but Dockman. Are there other HOFers that are in some but not all f the E92 designated sets?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 AM
MikeHealer

No Evers in Dockman either, but is in the others. The Nadja is extremely difficult.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Banned

Lajoie is found with all of the brands.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM
MikeHealer

Very nice Rob.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned

Thanks. Sure wish he had a better pose.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Rob

Default Nice Lajoie run..

I just realized that the artwork for this Lajoie appears to be by the same artist that created the t206 Del Howard and similar cards with the orange sky and blue grandstands in the background.

Also, I did not know that collectors collected these fronts without regard to the back. If they mixed the backs, wouldn't they have e101 e102 and e105's mixed in with their collection?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I just realized that the artwork for this Lajoie appears to be by the same artist that created the t206 Del Howard and similar cards with the orange sky and blue grandstands in the background.

Also, I did not know that collectors collected these fronts without regard to the back. If they mixed the backs, wouldn't they have e101 e102 and e105's mixed in with their collection?
When I said "no recollection" of the backs on the E92 I probably misspoke. I should have said they didn't differentiate E92s. As to your questions on the other series being mixed in, I do think (but am not sure) they collected different series separately. Hopefully some old school guys will chime in. I got this LaJoie on ebay, raw, for $250.....over 10 yrs ago...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe105lajoie.jpg (78.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Lajoie is found with all of the brands.

Impressive sir.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Rob

Default John Esch collection

My memory is not the greatest, and sometimes I get names and people mixed up, but I'm almost sure I sold a card to John Esch on ebay 12-13 years ago.

I was just back to the hobby because of ebay and I was buying and selling cards on there. I didn't really have many cards at the time. At the time, they didn't have paypal and you had to contact the buyer and ask them to send you a check. He quickly sent a check along with a 4-5 page typed wantlist of cards not only did I not have, but had never heard of. I remember thinking at the time..."This must be 'America's toughest wantlist...'"
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
My memory is not the greatest, and sometimes I get names and people mixed up, but I'm almost sure I sold a card to John Esch on ebay 12-13 years ago.

I was just back to the hobby because of ebay and I was buying and selling cards on there. I didn't really have many cards at the time. At the time, they didn't have paypal and you had to contact the buyer and ask them to send you a check. He quickly sent a check along with a 4-5 page typed wantlist of cards not only did I not have, but had never heard of. I remember thinking at the time..."This must be 'America's toughest wantlist...'"
John is old school and a nice well written letter wouldn't be unusual. He is truly one of the nicest gentlemen in the hobby. I see him at most Nationals and always enjoy my time speaking with him. He lives in Ft.Worth and I am sure has been on ebay for many, many years.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Jeff

I remember thinking at the time..."This must be 'America's toughest wantlist...'"

You mean, there's two of those?

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-13-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
The Dockman set is smallest at 40 cards - I'm working on completing a Dockman set presently in around VG to VG-EX condition. I treat the different backs as different sets.

As mentioned by others the Dockman set has no Cobb or Evers. It also has no Eddie Collins, no Bender striped hat, no Bresnahan and no Bobby Wallace (these are just the HOF players).

There is a very good comparison of the E92 sets on Peter Calderon's website, here:

http://www.caramel-cards.com/e92.html

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 01-13-2013 at 01:06 PM.