NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Dan Bretta

Default Poor Buck Weaver - Hunt Auctions Content

Called a "Deviant" and credited with being the mastermind behind the throwing of the 1919 World Series.

http://www.huntauctions.com/live/ima...=578&lot_qual=
Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Barry Sloate

"Deviant" is a bit harsh. Perhaps "miscreant" would be more appropriate.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Dan Bretta

I can accept "not so innocent bystander", but to credit him as the "mastermind" is taking the flowery auction description a bit too far.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Rich Klein

Default Wow

Who knew?

I guess Chick Gandil was just the innocent man in the whole 8 men out scheme.

History rewritten courtesy of Hunt Auctions and Louisville Sluggers Files.

And in all seriousness; if they have documentation to prove that; I guarantee you that the various committee members of the SABR Black Sox Scandal (I'm one but one of the least active) would love to get ahold of those papers for their research. We could have some real fun with that.

Regards
Rich
Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 AM

In for a penny in for a dollar. Still don't know why people defend the guy. Whether he played well or not, the issue is whether or not he took money and knew the fix was on.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
"Deviant" is a bit harsh. Perhaps "miscreant" would be more appropriate.
How about centurion?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
In for a penny in for a dollar. Still don't know why people defend the guy. Whether he played well or not, the issue is whether or not he took money and knew the fix was on.
He knew the fix was on, but took no money. It is beyond belief to say that no other players on the team besides the 8 accused knew that the fix was on. You think Ray Schalk didn't know the games were being fixed? Also I'm not so sure any player of the day would have notified authorities of a fixed game...Don't think they had a witness protection plan in 1919. Game fixing was not rare in those days...tattling on game fixers was very rare and I'm sure there was a reason for that.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Barry Sloate

Rob- if he were a centurion the book would have been called "One Hundred Men Out."
Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Scott

Pitiful that Hunts would describe him that way. I guess the books/articles/movies Ive seen claiming Chick Gandil as the organizer of the scandal are all liers, and mighty Hunts is right? Umm, just like someone paying 3x what they should for a picture from a big auction, instead of a small one, the name doesnt always make it better or right.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Pitiful that Hunts would describe him that way. I guess the books/articles/movies Ive seen claiming Chick Gandil as the organizer of the scandal are all liers, and mighty Hunts is right? Umm, just like someone paying 3x what they should for a picture from a big auction, instead of a small one, the name doesnt always make it better or right.
I'm fairly certain there is no bad intent from Hunt's here....Just sloppiness...whoever wrote the description probably did no homework, but just went by their own faulty memory when writing up the description. Hunt Auctions has nothing to gain by making a false claim against Weaver.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 PM

I am sure this was an honest mistake on Hunt's part. I would not be surprised at all for them to make a revision to the description online. I had a question on a lot in the last auction which caused them to make an additional comment to the lot online.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101SOX19 View Post
I am sure this was an honest mistake on Hunt's part. I would not be surprised at all for them to make a revision to the description online. I had a question on a lot in the last auction which caused them to make an additional comment to the lot online.
I've notified Hunt's in the past of mistakes in their descriptions and they've always corrected them...I didn't even notify them of this one as it's just too silly that I doubt anyone bidding on this photo doesn't know their BlackSox history.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I've notified Hunt's in the past of mistakes in their descriptions and they've always corrected them...I didn't even notify them of this one as it's just too silly that I doubt anyone bidding on this photo doesn't know their BlackSox history.
Dan -
I notified them of their misrepresentation concerning Pete Browning not really being in the 1886 Louisville Composite, see thread:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=116991
- but they have yet to respond to me or change their description.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 10-22-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Richard Simon

I did e mail Hunt's about this, I just think that Weaver was totally innocent and have always felt that justice was blind in his case, but they have not changed anything for this lot.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-23-2009, 09:48 AM

I think whomever wrote that description has no clue whatsoever about Buck Weaver and his involvement or lack thereof in the fix and should be ashamed of him/herself for using the word "deviant." Totally ironic that Eddie Cicotte who received money and publically admitted throwing the games is not described in harsh termns while Weaver is. I suspect that whoever wrote this is confusing Chick Gandil with Weaver. I've read many books about the 1919 Series and biographies on the players indicted and Buck never received a dime, had a wonderful series, but didn't "squeal" on his friends and knew what was going on although he didn't participate in the fix. Alfred Austrian, Charlie Comiskey and the boys made sure that Buck was denied his right to a separate attorney and the chance to offer a separate defense based on his circumstances which were different than the others. Joe Jackson is cut slack because he was "an ignorant farmboy" and illiterate but he accepted money. Weaver didn't take a dime and was persecuted merely because he valued trust and friendship. It was a different time and we can't judge his actions based on 2009. In 1919 gambling and betting on games was widespread. These 8 players were no different than the Cobbs, Speakers, and all the rest of the players who placed bets on games. That doesn't justify their actions but if you research what was going on in that era you will see the utter hypocrisy of it all.
Buck Weaver went to his grave begging to have his name cleared. I only wish now, 90 years later some Commissioner other than Bud Selig who is the worst Commissioner in the history of the game IMO would mete out justice and fairness for Buck and clear his name.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Barry Sloate

Gambling on a game is different than throwing a game, Buck Weaver's presumed innocence aside. I can bet a million dollars on the World Series without affecting the outcome. But if I conspire to play poorly and deliberately lose, that's a whole lot worse.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 AM

Barry- I agree but a lot of times the players who were betting on games were also deliberately making sure the games would end up with the team winning they were betting on. Hal Chase was the most notorious but gambling (and) throwing games was rampant in the deadball era.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Barry Sloate

Well certainly that's a lot more sinister than simply betting on who might win.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Dan Bretta

You guys are also forgetting that "Swede was a hard guy"...ratting on some of those guys about the fix would not have been healthy.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I am no fan of Bud Selig but why no criticism of the tyrannical commissioner who created the injustice in the first place. I have a problem with a commissioner who says I don't care if you played well, were acquitted in Court and took no money, I'm banning you for life anyway. I especially have a problem with the fact that he was a former federal judge to whom, presumably, fundamental farness should mean something.