NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2021, 12:11 PM

Default eBay Scam or Genuine Change in Policy

I received an email, supposedly from ebay, telling me that I needed to update my account by including bank account information by Feb. 14. If I don't do this, I supposedly lose my ability to sell on ebay. The email looks authentic, but sure sounds like a scam to get my bank account info. Have any of you received a similar email? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:16 PM
Scott Levy

I haven’t - but very rarely sell on eBay. I’d proceed with EXTREME caution
Old 02-11-2021, 12:17 PM
Jeff H

Sounds like a scam to me. I would contact e-bay directly.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:30 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

You are describing a phishing email do not click on anything within it. If you are concerned about the account login into ebay on you own and check your payment methods.

Check out this website to see if your email has ever been compromised by the multitudes of hacks in the past decade. https://haveibeenpwned.com/
Old 02-11-2021, 12:32 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

If they used your name in the email, its legit. Ebay changed over to Ebay Managed Payments, you need to provide bank info, just make sure you do it on the site, don't link to Ebay through email.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:33 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

SCAM, SCAM AND SCAM!!! If ebay was trying to send you a message you would also see it in your messages folder in your ebay account. Their messages appear as a regular email and in the folder. No different than if someone was sending you a message regarding an item you have listed.. One of the easiest ways to double check a suspicious email is to hit reply and look at the email address to which it will be returned.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 02-11-2021, 12:34 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I received an email, supposedly from ebay, telling me that I needed to update my account by including bank account information by Feb. 14. If I don't do this, I supposedly lose my ability to sell on ebay. The email looks authentic, but sure sounds like a scam to get my bank account info. Have any of you received a similar email? Thanks.
Sounds like a phishing scam. I don't sell much on eBay but have sold a few cards in the last few months. I have not received a similar email.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
If they used your name in the email, its legit. Ebay changed over to Ebay Managed Payments, you need to provide bank info, just make sure you do it on the site, don't link to Ebay through email.
^This^ I received the same email but have till the end of the month to switch over or I can no longer sell on eBay.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:40 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
^This^ I received the same email but have till the end of the month to switch over or I can no longer sell on eBay.
My deadline passed, I want to open a bank account solely for Ebay but haven't had time.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:40 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
SCAM, SCAM AND SCAM!!! If ebay was trying to send you a message you would also see it in your messages folder in your ebay account. Their messages appear as a regular email and in the folder. No different than if someone was sending you a message regarding an item you have listed.. One of the easiest ways to double check a suspicious email is to hit reply and look at the email address to which it will be returned.
Good advice. For me the message I got via email matched the message in the messages folder on the Ebay sight. So although not a scam, you should never click on a link from an email. Go to the web site (EBay, your bank etc.) and access your account from there.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:48 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
My deadline passed, I want to open a bank account solely for Ebay but haven't had time.
We have a bank account solely for Paypal, will probably hook it to that one.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:45 PM

Thank you all very much. I am not touching that email.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:56 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Thank you all very much. I am not touching that email.
Simplest and safest solution is what others have said - log onto your ebay account and check your messages from there.

With managed payments, ebay now requires bank info so they can deposit your money when you sell stuff.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:24 PM
Todd C

this is legit - Ebay is getting away from PayPal - now requiring sellers to link through a bank account. deposits will take place every couple of days. you will no longer get a Paypal notification. Ebay will state the item is paid and you will need to ship before getting the money from the buyer.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:33 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

It's 100% legitimate. I've put this off as long as possible and I cannot sell on there anymore unless I give them access to a bank account and my social security number (which I find outrageous, but I guess they are getting away with it).
Old 02-11-2021, 06:33 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
It's 100% legitimate. I've put this off as long as possible and I cannot sell on there anymore unless I give them access to a bank account and my social security number (which I find outrageous, but I guess they are getting away with it).
But, since this is common knowledge, a scammer could send out emails pretending to be from ebay, soliciting this info.

Point is, yes, ebay is asking for banking info. But, don't give it to them by replying to an email - reply to them through their website.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:48 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
But, since this is common knowledge, a scammer could send out emails pretending to be from ebay, soliciting this info.

Point is, yes, ebay is asking for banking info. But, don't give it to them by replying to an email - reply to them through their website.
Good point–I agree that's the best way to handle it.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:03 PM
Fred

ebay can contact you via the portal in the "messages" section.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The rule of thumb for any such email inquiries is to not go through the link in the email. Go into your browser, go to the company website and login there. If there is some such real notice, it will tell you there.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:52 PM

I just checked my messages in My eBay, and the same message was there. Do I guess it's legit. I sell on ebay so rarely that I think I'll probably wait until I have something to sell before giving them all of my info.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:52 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Yes SSAN also - I'm guessing that we are all gonna start getting 1099's at some point (no more tax free income - filing just got a whole bunch harder).

They do however make deposits to your account fairly quickly - just no more "slush" fund in my paypal account.