NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-17-2024, 08:51 AM

Default Collecting Umpire Memorabilia & Autos

Just wondering if there were any members out there that collect items from MLB umpires. I realize that it's not very popular, but kind of interesting as they have been on the field for every big moment in baseball. Aside from that, there is only one person in both the NFL and MLB Hall of Fame and that honor goes to Mr. Cal Hubbard.

I don't specifically look for items, but sometimes they just come my way. Here are a couple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hubbard #2.jpg (197.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 116771498_1_x.jpg (66.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 116771498_8_x.jpg (74.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 116766810_2_x.jpg (90.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 116766810_7_x.jpg (130.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 09-17-2024, 03:37 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Very cool! I collect lineup cards, which are definitely umpire related. (There's a thread on this page focused on them which I dominate a bit with my collectin obsession )
Old 09-17-2024, 03:52 PM

Thanks Jeff! I didn't think anyone was going to reply! Collecting umpires isn't exactly the rage right now.

I was elated when I ran across the Cal Hubbard HoF photo. He dies a short year later after his induction. I don't think there are a lot of HoF autographed items of his out there.

Interesting thread on your line up cards. I've read through it. I have some, I think they are all Athletics - some signed. When LaRussa was doing his part to help the humane society while in Oakland, he would auction off signed line up cards and donate all the proceeds. I don't think it got much press, but good for LaRussa.
Old 09-17-2024, 04:43 PM
Joe

Default Scotty Robb

Here is a link to a google album with some items I have from Scotty Robb, including his season passes, cap, and a very unique personalized belt buckle.

https://goo.gl/photos/NG5bfLPkPnCLiS8M7
Old 09-17-2024, 05:44 PM

Amazing Joe, that's taking it to the next level.
Old 09-17-2024, 06:09 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Here is one from my snapshot collection. Augie "Gus" Donatelli. Gus is the umpire on Sports Illustrated #1 and has a 55 bowman card. He's seen here at Bill Mcgowans umpire school, assumingly as a proctor. But maybe as a student himself. I'm not sure.

Fun fact, he spent 15 months as a prisoner of war in Germany.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection
Old 09-17-2024, 06:33 PM
Shane

I'm down for minor league umpires! Particularly the Southern Assn and Southern League, I have a gameworn SL ump shirt and a bunch of lineup cards handed to me as they walk from the field. My fave item is a signed copy of Steamboat Johnsons autobiography I picked up cheap a long time ago. I dont see much old minor league ump stuff but I always appreciate the officials who work hard at their craft trying to make the bigleagues.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:07 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Here is one from my snapshot collection. Augie "Gus" Donatelli. Gus is the umpire on Sports Illustrated #1 and has a 55 bowman card. He's seen here at Bill Mcgowans umpire school, assumingly as a proctor. But maybe as a student himself. I'm not sure.

Fun fact, he spent 15 months as a prisoner of war in Germany.
My cousin married Augie Donatelli's son. Sadly, I never got to meet Augie but I heard stories. He was a tough as nails guy who likely was hardened by his time as a POW in the war.

I imagine the family has never seen this photo. I am going to pass this along. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-17-2024, 09:44 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
My cousin married Augie Donatelli's son. Sadly, I never got to meet Augie but I heard stories. He was a tough as nails guy who likely was hardened by his time as a POW in the war.

I imagine the family has never seen this photo. I am going to pass this along. Thanks for posting.
Your welcome, great tie. And feel free 👍

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection
Old 09-17-2024, 10:02 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Some cool umpire stuff Ive had for a while

Some photos...... the autographed ones came from the estate of George Barr, I got them about 40 years ago. The "first AL Game ump" I just got recently from a great Net54 collector. Interesting story about Bill Stewart in the 3 man photo.... he was not only a MLB umpire but an NHL referee and coached the Chicago Black Hawks to a Stanley Cup Championship in 1938! A busy guy no?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3832.jpg (76.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3833.jpg (104.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3834.jpg (65.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-18-2024, 09:47 AM

Amazing photos and stories!

That sheds some new light on Augie Donatelli, which I didn't know. He is one of the signers on my 1957 World Series umpire signed baseball pictured above.

Many thanks.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:46 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Thanks Jeff! I didn't think anyone was going to reply! Collecting umpires isn't exactly the rage right now.

I was elated when I ran across the Cal Hubbard HoF photo. He dies a short year later after his induction. I don't think there are a lot of HoF autographed items of his out there.

Interesting thread on your line up cards. I've read through it. I have some, I think they are all Athletics - some signed. When LaRussa was doing his part to help the humane society while in Oakland, he would auction off signed line up cards and donate all the proceeds. I don't think it got much press, but good for LaRussa.
Yup. A few managers have doneinteresting things. LaRussa continued selling them to raise money (and having some players sign) during his time on the Cardinals.

From what I understand, the Twins, under Tom Kelly would have the team sign the lineup card after a win. I have 2-3 signed lineup cards from the mid-1990's. Obviously the dugout ones are less associated with umpires.

I've been fascinated by the way that formal lineup cards have been a part of the game for at least 90 years and seemingly longer than that (the earliest ones I've come across are from 1931, though I saw an old picture of Ty Cobb showing the umpire the lineup on what looks like a small piece of paper.)