NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Paul

Default Hindu T206 Ed Reulbach (On Factory Ledger Page)

I love SGC as much as the next guy. But what's the provenance on this piece? Looks like a beautiful pair of T206 cards, glued to a piece of loose leaf paper. What exemplars do we have? This is one I could recreate in about 5 minutes.

....Piedmont Series 150. Package 3 per package. Ship to Factory 42....

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=19605

Why is the rest of the document torn away from the cards? I don't know....

I think this is EXTREMELY cool if real. But also somewhat easy to forge...

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

Interesting either way.

If it's not real that's a lot of risk- two really nice Hindu backs being glued to anything. They missed a bit in the description, the writing on the back would go with other cards glued to the opposite side on the back of the page. The shipping info for the hindus would have been to the right of the cards.

And whoever tore up the ledger totally missed the boat. What would the complete packing instructions ledger from factory 649 go for?

Anyone else notice the potential Plank info?
That bit of information complicates T206 just a bit more.

I really wish I had the money to take a shot at this, but it's way way out of my league.

Steve B
Old 09-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Jon Canfield

100% real. From what I recall, these first surfaced in the mid-90's. Terry Knouse (of Tik & Tik) had them. I have scans of a few different ones around somewhere.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Jon Canfield

Here's the Hindu sans slabbing

Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Ron Rice

Default Ledger

Thanks, Jon. Now easy to read. Looks like 2 cards in a pack of 10 cigarettes in the Philadelphia territory but only 1 card in a pack of 10 outside of the Philadelphia territory. Is that right? Was that typical of T206 distribution?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Completely real...Terry did indeed own these at one time. I held the complete ledger at one point. Many different cards and backs with notes about distribution, factory, and shipping. Also included in that ledger were a few cards that were never released/produced incl. a Collins that was beautiful. It was a wonderful piece and I am saddened that it was cut up and split apart.

Joshua
Old 09-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Ron Rice

Default Ledger

That's a shame it was complete, and then ripped apart. It would have been so great if someone had, at least, photographed all the pages first!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:24 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Default I've seen these!

Many decades ago a friend of mine charley conlon from ann arbor mich had a bunch of them...also other papers that looked more like accountant books or money ledgers or reciepts. Unfortunately they didn't mean much to me (mid 1970's).I Lost track of my buddy years ago but would see him around all the major shows, (and small shows). He and I drove down to Toledo on his whim to buy cases of 1975 minis and regulars. Chuck are u out there? Shed some light on these for us. dave.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Craig

Don't hold your breath waiting for Charley to reply
Seems you really lost touch with your good friend
Old 09-03-2011, 02:51 PM

Default hindu ledger

i love this stuff
Old 09-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Steve

What about the text that was cut off on the bottom? It looks like "Began packing military..." -- kind of interesting that they would have the baseball and non-sports cards notes on the same page of their ledger...

Have a good one,
Steve
Old 09-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
What about the text that was cut off on the bottom? It looks like "Began packing military..." -- kind of interesting that they would have the baseball and non-sports cards notes on the same page of their ledger...

Have a good one,
Steve
I never saw the complete book so I can't be sure, but my guess would be that the military/non-sports cards would appear right below the baseball cards and the notes related to them.... hence why the pages are torn like they are.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

The original ledger did have a few of the military cards included in it if I recall.. It was an amazing piece for many reasons.

Joshua
Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Many decades ago a friend of mine charley conlon from ann arbor mich had a bunch of them...also other papers that looked more like accountant books or money ledgers or reciepts. Unfortunately they didn't mean much to me (mid 1970's).I Lost track of my buddy years ago but would see him around all the major shows, (and small shows). He and I drove down to Toledo on his whim to buy cases of 1975 minis and regulars. Chuck are u out there? Shed some light on these for us. dave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for Charley to reply
Seems you really lost touch with your good friend
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2010/810.html
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Joe M.

Charley passed away a few years ago.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 AM
J@son M1ller

From auction description: "Unfortunately the second Brown HINDU card has been neatly mounted face down alongside Reulback, preventing us from determining which player it represents."

I've only handled a few cards with notebook or other paper stuck to them and haven't tried this, but wondered if you shined a bright light on the Hindu back, if you might be able to look through the ledger paper to see the player on the front of the card. Thoughts? I would think that this could be a significant detail.

Last edited by Jaybird; 09-04-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Tim

I do not believe that the information on the back of this piece pertains to the Hindu printing or packaging. It's more than likely in reference to another T206 back or possibly another issue all together.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:16 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
I do not believe that the information on the back of this piece pertains to the Hindu printing or packaging. It's more than likely in reference to another T206 back or possibly another issue all together.
I agree. No way to tell if this is Hindu reference on the backside. Especially if you consider that the page with the pasted Hindus is the left facing page (for argument's sake, page 1). Then you'd have a right facing page opposite (pg. 2), then turn the page, and you have another left facing page (pg. 3) and then this back which would be now the 4th page. It is too far removed to have a direct correlation with the cards on the opposite side.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:18 AM
J Hull

Some examples of pages related to non-sports cards:

Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Frank Wakefield

It seems to me that these ledger pages could just as well pages out a ledger used by a collector of years gone by, maybe someone who either was on the inside at American Litho or at American Tobacco, or knew someone who was, close in time to when the cards were issued.

That possibility seems as likely to me as thinking these are from some manufacturing or distributing entity.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Frank,
I am fairly certain these came from the factory or printer. The reason for this is the unissued t206s (and I think a couple of unissued non-sports as well). These would most likely originate from the original printings of the cards.

Joshua
Old 09-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Frank Wakefield

Joshua, it seems unlikely that American Tobacco would have a ledger of unissued cards. That kind of stuff would stay at American Litho, I'd think. Still, someone at American Litho could have kept it as part of collecting, and not as part of his business activity.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Related document........

A while back, Dan Koochin reported of an American Lithographic document (dated March 18, 1911) stating that Factory #30 would be packaging
one baseball (T206) card and one military (T80) card in every box of five UZIT cigarettes.

This date is consistent with what we know of as the end of the T206 press runs and the start of the Gold-bordered Sports and Non-Sports cards.

[linked image][linked image]

TED Z
Old 09-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Ron Rice

Default 5 count pack

Thanks Ted. That's helps prove the theory that T206 came in other size packs besides 10-count boxes.