NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Mike

Default Any Reaction to Legendary Auction Prices

I thought the lot of 7000 Bob Gibson Autos for $ 21000 was a steal of a deal ( $ 3 ea). I would think they would sell easily for $ 19.95 for a profit of about $ 120,000. Are their 7000 Gibson or HOF collectors ?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:17 PM

I agree $3 for a check is a steal, but, from a practical matter, reselling them one by one (or two by two) would be a task. If you listed one per day on eBay, it would take about twenty years. What you're seeing is the bulk rate. You're not going to receive the going rate per single check rate with 7,000.

I do agree a single check or a check nicely matted with a photo would fetch a lot more than $3.

I remember when I had a lot of twenty identical cards for sale and a collector said, "But I only want one." This type of single-item buyer may pay the going retail price. However, even the collector who will buy three expects a bulk discount.

Last edited by drc; 08-27-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Paul

Default Sell em in 100 count lots for $500

Make $200 on each lot x 70 = $14,000 profit.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

They will saturate the market and will take forever to sell. JMO.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
They will saturate the market and will take forever to sell. JMO.
Yes. I'm pretty sure anyone who wants Bob Gibson's autograph has one.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:45 PM

I once won in a Mike Gutierrez auction a lot of 3000 checks consisting of six players-- minor, but circa 1950s-60s players. I sold them as singles, small and large groups, including with other types of autos ("100 autographs with index cards, cuts, photos and bank checks!"). Luckily for me, there were different players so I could do some mixing and matching ('Signed Baseball Bank checks-- six different players'). 3000 Milt Pappas checks might have been as easy to handle. How much of a deal was 3000 checks is dependent on how much you paid. I would imagine I paid less than $1 per check, so it worked out fine for me.

One thing about bank checks is they sell. There is a healthy market for them.

The best bulk lots have a variety of different items. Not only are they more fun to handle, but each item you list on eBay or wherever is a different item. I bought a monster lot of baseball news photos from MastroNet. Yes, they were all baseball photos, but they were all different photos.

Last edited by drc; 08-27-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Default The Gibson lot didn't sell

I placed the $20,000 bid actually more to just bid on it. It said "you are the high bidder but your bid did not meet the reserve" and upped the bid to $21,000. The auction ended at that price, reserve not met.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Steve Murray

The man is still alive, isn't he?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
The man is still alive, isn't he?
Yes, but he uses only money orders these days.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:41 PM
GaryPassamonte

$12000 plus BP for the Wright CdV seems extremely high to me. Comments?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Barry Sloate

Didn't even realize that Gary but yes, it is way out of whack. It's never even sold for half that amount.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Gary, it does seem like a pretty high price on the Wright CDV, however, the George & Harry Wright Warren Studios CDV's recently sold together for nearly $40,000 in the Legendary Live auction. Maybe the buyer of those wanted the other Wright, too!
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 PM

As a person who once found himself with 3,000 Jack Haley checks, my advice is that while it all looks good on paper, it's a hassle to distribute (in this case, you are responsible for flooding the market!) so much of one thing where there is minimal interest to begin with. Maybe the first 100 will sell okay, then you slowly go stir crazy and see checks in your dreams (or nightmares).

DanC
Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Phil Garry

I don't think that the price for the Wright CDV was really out of line. I would not have been surprised if it went for more than it did. If I had the money, I wouldn't mind picking it up for around that price.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Barry Sloate

Phil- that particular CdV is not rare and has traded many times. The typical price range has been around $4000-6000. That's why last night's price seems high.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:21 AM

m110's sold cheap last night. any buyers from net 54?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjrrice View Post
I placed the $20,000 bid actually more to just bid on it. It said "you are the high bidder but your bid did not meet the reserve" and upped the bid to $21,000. The auction ended at that price, reserve not met.
Is this new? I wasn't aware Mastro/Legendary had reserves...

Last edited by Matt; 08-28-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:11 AM

Default Undisclosed reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjrrice View Post
I checked my catalogue and lot 76 has no mention of a reserve. So what's the difference in an undisclosed reserve and shill bidding? Shouldn't the lot at least carry a "Reserve" notation?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 AM
David

The probably have to use reserves now as they probably have to protect what little capital they have. After all they are supposively a start-up company.
They probably have to go into the markets to buy inventory for consignments so that they have something to offer for sale on their auctions. Its not probable that anyone with any brains would consign something to them. They probably have to make sure any capital they probably spent on purchasing items would be recovered in their auctions. They are also probably wouldn't mention anything about these reserves up front because you probably wouldn't bother bidding.

Last edited by daviddbreadman; 08-28-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Richard Simon

That is what happens when your organization is made up of so many good guys.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Jim VB

Don't mean to be picky Richard, but they're great guys, not good guys.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddbreadman View Post
The probably have to use reserves now as they probably have to protect what little capital they have. After all they are supposively a start-up company.
They probably have to go into the markets to buy inventory for consignments so that they have something to offer for sale on their auctions. Its not probable that anyone with any brains would consign something to them. They probably have to make sure any capital they probably spent on purchasing items would be recovered in their auctions. They are also probably wouldn't mention anything about these reserves up front because you probably wouldn't bother bidding.
I am not so sure about this statement. In today's economy and hobby I think reserves aren't a bad thing depending on how they are done. Ask any consignor that has taken a huge loss and they will agree. Sometimes it's better not to sell than to take that big of a hit. Personally, I like to know about reserves if there are any. I doubt they were doing reserves to protect things they might have owned anymore than they would do one with a consignors item(s). Just my opinion on that. As for offering things they might own it is no concern to me unless there is nefarious activity going on. I don't really care who owned an item I am buying unless it's a hobby pioneer and then the provenance is kind of neat. Knowing there is a reserve will sometimes prevent some bidding...so that is a potential explanation on that issue. regards
Old 08-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Eric

Rather then set a hidden reserve, why not just start the auction at that price? I realize that it might discourage bidders from bidding if the initial price is sky high, but they'll probably loose bidders because of this use of a hidden reserve (unknown until now), because they didn't disclose it.

As for auctions they own:

"the following lots are owned by the auction house, an auction house employee, or a related party of the auction house: 154, 355, 358, 362, 421, 563, 587, 774, 775, 776, 777, 780, 782, 783, 800, 804, 837, 898, 924, 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 934, 935, 937, 939, 939, 941, 946, 950, 958, 959, 960, 961, 971, 972, 973, 976, 987, 989, 994, 995, 997, 998."
-taken directly from their Rules/FAQ section

Last edited by Kotton King; 08-28-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Joe P.

Default Let's start a new Soap called .....

"As the Market Turns" ..... or _ _ _ "As the Stomach Turns" ...
Old 08-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Chris Buckler

Default Legendary

I'm just happy that I won both lots I really wanted. The Dietsche Postcard set and the Dietsche Cobb Rookie. I thought the set sold for a steal, way under my max bid, which never happens to me..

Chris
Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotton King View Post
Rather then set a hidden reserve, why not just start the auction at that price? I realize that it might discourage bidders from bidding if the initial price is sky high, but they'll probably loose bidders because of this use of a hidden reserve (unknown until now), because they didn't disclose it.
This is actually appears to be a "double hidden reserve": Not only was the amount of the reserve hidden (which is the traditional meaning of "hidden reserve") but the fact that there was a reserve at all also seems to have been hidden.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
This is actually appears to be a "double hidden reserve": Not only was the amount of the reserve hidden (which is the traditional meaning of "hidden reserve") but the fact that there was a reserve at all also seems to have been hidden.
Um, you may want to change that to triple hidden reserve then; you forgot one.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Greg Marmalard: But Delta's already on probation.
Dean Vernon Wormer: They are? Well, as of this moment, they're on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Eric

Quote:
Haha...nice Matt! It definitely makes sense, even though I had to read it about 4 times for it to make sense.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Barry Sloate

I'm still trying to figure out why in two days of bidding, being outbid, and coming back to bid again, I never received a single email from Legendary. Did anyone receive their bid confirmation and outbid notices?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why in two days of bidding, being outbid, and coming back to bid again, I never received a single email from Legendary. Did anyone receive their bid confirmation and outbid notices?
Hi Barry....I received each and every "high bid" notice and "outbid" notice, when I was bidding over the two days.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Legendary Emails

I got nothing.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Barry Sloate

Interesting- some people got them, others didn't. Can any computer whizzes- calling Matt- explain this?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:25 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Interesting- some people got them, others didn't. Can any computer whizzes- calling Matt- explain this?
Barry, I figured out your email password several months back and have been deleting your emails on a whim. I have no idea why Kevin didn't receive his, though. Very strange.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Barry Sloate

Anthony- they're pretty boring, don't you think?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Eric

I wonder if it could be your email provider (just a guess). I use Yahoo.

Do you ever get any emails from Legendary in your inbox?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Anthony- they're pretty boring, don't you think?
Oh, I don't read them, that would be a horrible invasion of privacy. I just delete them.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Eric

Well Anthony's answer would explain it.

Last edited by Kotton King; 08-28-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Barry Sloate

Anthony- this morning I got an email from a Nigerian prince who wants me to help him bring $8 million into this country. All I have to do is give him access to my bank account and he will deposit it directly.

I'm already planning what I will do with my new found wealth!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Barry Sloate

Eric- to answer your question when I put my initial bids in two weeks ago I got every bid and outbid email from them. But on the final two days I got none. So something wasn't working those last two nights.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Anthony- this morning I got an email from a Nigerian prince who wants me to help him bring $8 million into this country. All I have to do is give him access to my bank account and he will deposit it directly.

I'm already planning what I will do with my new found wealth!
Yeah, that's my cousin, Jimmy. He's cool. You'll get your money.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Barry Sloate

Old 08-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Richard Simon

Barry - are you insinuating that Doug Allen is a Nigerian prince?
Tsk,,, tsk,,
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Ed McCollum

Default You've got to be kidding

There is a Nigerian prince named Jimmy Stephenson?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
There is a Nigerian prince named Jimmy Stephenson?
Those cultural imperialists at Ellis Island changed it. The screwed up part is, he was only visiting.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:19 PM

I thought the 7 E94s for $2100 plus juice and shipping was a heckuva deal. They were all slabbed and included a 50, 5 40s and a 30, nice solid lot. No big names except Cicotte but nice solid mid grade cards. Last summer this lot in Mastro or REA would have gone for $3500+. I don't know if it is the bad pub Legendary/Mastro has received scaring away potential bidders or if the card market continues to be somewhat depressed, but the final bid was suprising to me and I have tracked E94s for 10 years.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

I was happy to take this e125 for $1,303.50:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...99155a_lg.jpeg

let's hope the transaction is a success.

I still have recieved not a single e-mail...before, during nor after.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The number on the K-Bat Donahue was pretty impressive at $70K plus the vig. I think I know who won it but can't figure out what underbidder would have taken it to that kind of level.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Barry Sloate

I thought I figured out the winner and the underbidder, but if you don't know then I may be wrong.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:19 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Barry--wasn't me. Maybe someone from Fulton St.