NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-27-2024, 08:54 AM

Default Best of health to Elroy Face.

I received an e-mail from Sirraffles this morning and it indicated Elroy Face, who is 96, was recently moved into a nursing home. Attached is a photo included in the e-mail. The best to you Mr. Face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elroy Face recent photo.jpg (123.9 KB, 554 views)
Old 08-27-2024, 09:14 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Elroy and my Uncle Charley were best friends and neighbors in North Arlington, PA for many, many years. I spent a week with him back in 2010 or 2011. Interesting guy. Had some real disdain for Roberto Clemente. I think, not 100% sure, my uncle was the guy that hooked him up with the Expos in 1969.

(Charley Feeney covered the Pirates for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette from 66-86)
Old 08-27-2024, 09:31 AM

Here is Clemente calling my uncle an “asshole” to famed asshole and scumbag, Dick Young.

https://go.gale.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%...e=true&aty=geo
Old 08-27-2024, 10:18 AM
Albert Bee

Default Face

didnt know he played for Expos
Old 08-27-2024, 10:25 AM
Al Richter

The best to you Mr. Face.[/QUOTE]

+ 1

18-1 in 1959, which is also the year of my favorite card of him

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-27-2024 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:50 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Nice post
Man that’s A lot of autographes
Old 08-27-2024, 12:19 PM
Frank Wakefield

I wish Mr. Face a peaceful transition to his new living arrangements, and good health. Brian, thanks for posting and for the jersey pic
Old 08-27-2024, 01:24 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

Regarding the Face-Clemente mutual non-admiration relationship, Face was not an outlier. Clemente is correctly honored for the noble circumstances of his death, but during his lifetime, he could be rather difficult, and he was not popular with many of his teammates, particularly his African-American teammates. Donn Clendenon was traded, and wound up with the 1969 Mets, specifically because he and Clemente loathed one another, and I believe even came to blows on more than one occasion.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akleinb611 View Post
Regarding the Face-Clemente mutual non-admiration relationship, Face was not an outlier. Clemente is correctly honored for the noble circumstances of his death, but during his lifetime, he could be rather difficult, and he was not popular with many of his teammates, particularly his African-American teammates. Donn Clendenon was traded, and wound up with the 1969 Mets, specifically because he and Clemente loathed one another, and I believe even came to blows on more than one occasion.
Clemente complained to Dick Young, of all people, about my uncle robbing him of hits. Clemente seemed like a tough guy to like. The stories that Face told my father and I that weekend would certainly tarnish an image.
Old 08-27-2024, 05:36 PM
Jim Reynolds

Isn’t it funny how we as fans only get the perception that we get of ball players from the media or elsewhere? We never get the inside scoop. I had a conversation online with a young lady who was the former girlfriend of a major leaguer and she told me that Ken Griffey Jr. and Tony Gwynn were not the nicest and most honorable of men. We’ll just leave it at that. She actually also said that Randy Johnson was the nicest guy in the world.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:02 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I kinda always go back to the fact that it is nearly impossible to find a picture of Roberto Clemente with anything other than an intense, never smiling or joyous, look on his face. I guess he was just born with that type of personality?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:56 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I worked in MLB for 7 years in the 80's and lets just say many of the players I looked up to as a kid shattered my illusions of them real fast. They are humans and could probably never live up to my 10 year old expectations but some of those guys really surprised me.

On the other hand, some of the guys I thought were turds were incredibly nice to me.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I kinda always go back to the fact that it is nearly impossible to find a picture of Roberto Clemente with anything other than an intense, never smiling or joyous, look on his face. I guess he was just born with that type of personality?
https://x.com/PuertoRicoPUR/status/1303704616786448384

https://x.com/BSmile/status/1511712355373228036

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-27-2024 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:12 PM

Quote:
The Pirates never traded Donn Clendenon. The Expos selected him in the expansion draft and then traded him to the Mets.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:52 PM
Phil

Quote:
Clendenon was selected by the Montreal Expos in the 1968 expansion draft. Then, the Expos traded Clendenon to the Astros, but he refused to report. The Astros received additional compensation and Clendenon remained with the Expos until June 15, when he was traded to the Mets.

Clemente is one of my heroes for what he did outside of baseball. I believe the animosity between Face and Clemente began early and supposedly fought each other, according to the most recent biography about Roberto. Roy Face was interviewed for the book "We Played the Game." Face spoke highly of his teammates; however, while not saying anything negative about Clemente, in his only comment he coldly observed that "Clemente got his 200 hits."

In the same book, Dick Schoefield was interviewed and he observed that a number of his teammates were putoff by Clemente's personality; he described Clemente as "paranoid." Clemente was a proud and sensitive person who felt that he wasn't treated fairly by the press. Many of the Latin players of that era were quoted syllbatically, making them sound idiotic.

Dock Ellis in his autobiography shared that by the late 60s Clemente interacted more with his teammates. Ellis would tease him, but Clemente seemed to take it in stride. Clemente did participate in the clubhouse humor in those later years. Most of his baseball cards present him with a serious visage, but there are also many photos where he is smiling.

There is a "halo effect" over Clemente due to the circumstances of his death. When I was much younger, Clemente could do no wrong. I was inspired by Clemente's life to go into a field where I could help and serve others- teaching (1987-2023). As I have aged my perception of his life is more nuanced; Clemente was a talented athlete who had a Hall of Fame career, who had tremendous pride but also had flaws. He reacted to the perceived slights, sometimes alienating others, but at the end he lived a good life and made a difference. As for Roy Face, he was a keen observer based on his interview and I hope that his remaining time is comfortable.

Phil aka Tere1071
Old 08-28-2024, 07:57 AM
Brian Macdonald

When he was referred to as “Bob”, was that something Clemente was agreeable with?

Or was it condescension on the part of media and the establishment?
Old 08-28-2024, 08:01 AM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
When he was referred to as “Bob”, was that something Clemente was agreeable with?

Or was it condescension on the part of media and the establishment?
I’ve read in several sources over the years that Clemente very much disliked the “Bob” references.
Old 08-28-2024, 08:19 AM
Jack Richards

Default Elroy

1959…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0781.jpg (118.2 KB, 303 views)
Old 08-28-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
I’ve read in several sources over the years that Clemente very much disliked the “Bob” references.
I remember when Timo Perez came up with the Mets and he was very outspoken - as a rookie - about the press and fans calling him “Tim O’Neil” Perez (pronouncing it that way).
Old 08-28-2024, 06:25 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
Clendenon was selected by the Montreal Expos in the 1968 expansion draft. Then, the Expos traded Clendenon to the Astros, but he refused to report. The Astros received additional compensation and Clendenon remained with the Expos until June 15, when he was traded to the Mets.
You're correct, of course, but it doesn't change my point. Clendenon was left unprotected in the draft in spite of the fact that he still had some gas in the tank, quite possibly to appease Clemente

I can't cite the specific source for my impression, but I believe the reason Clemente had issues with his African-American teammates was that he was perceived as a "Company Man." Harry Walker, who managed the Pirates in the mid-Sixties, was largely (and probably correctly) perceived as somewhat racist. Issues quickly arose between Walker and many black players, and Clemente repeatedly defended Walker. The resulting ill feelings were unfortunate but probably inevitable.

Another problem was that while Clemente was very active in charitable causes in Puerto Rico, the perception was that he did little or nothing of that sort in Pittsburgh itself. I haven't researched this, but if that's the case, it would be another wedge driven between Clemente and players and fans.

I'm not trying to bash Clemente, just to make the point that heroic though his death may have been, he was not a saint, and it's no surprise some of his contemporaries may not have been fond of him. I guess the best way to view it is that I have no doubt that Clemente was subjected to racism and to cultural misunderstanding - but that he didn't handle it well.
Old 08-28-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
You're correct, of course, but it doesn't change my point. Clendenon was left unprotected in the draft in spite of the fact that he still had some gas in the tank, quite possibly to appease Clemente
Or it could be because Clendenon's production had dropped off a lot. In 1967 he hit . 249/.298/.370 OPS+ 91. In 1968 he hit .257/.309/.399 OPS+ 114. The Pirates protected Al Oliver instead. Oliver would play 17 more years in the majors hitting .303 with 2742 hits and made 7 All Star teams. The Pirates clearly made the correct decision.
Old 08-28-2024, 07:49 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

It’s true that Clendenon was close to the end of his career, but he had enough left to mentor the 1969 Mets, who gave him a lot of credit for their miraculous run that year.

By the way, the reason Clendenon refused to report to Houston that year? They were being managed by - Harry Walker.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
It’s true that Clendenon was close to the end of his career, but he had enough left to mentor the 1969 Mets, who gave him a lot of credit for their miraculous run that year.

By the way, the reason Clendenon refused to report to Houston that year? They were being managed by - Harry Walker.
My uncle hated Walker. If you see some interviews with him, Charlie is “yeah, he was kind of a dick”, but behind closed doors, he despised the guy.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

In 1970 in just 121 games he slashed 22/97/.288.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-28-2024 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In 1970 in just 121 games he slashed 22/97/.288.
In 1969 Clendenon slashed . 248/.303/.432 OPS+ 103. He had one decent season his last 6 years in MLB. You don't hang on to that bad production from your 1B.

In 1970 the Pirates 1B Bob Robertson slashed . 287/.367/.564 OPS+ 149. The last time Clendenon gave the Pirates that kind of production was never. With Robertson and Oliver the Pirates won the NL East 5 of 6 years from 1970-1975.
Old 08-29-2024, 03:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
In 1969 Clendenon slashed . 248/.303/.432 OPS+ 103. He had one decent season his last 6 years in MLB. You don't hang on to that bad production from your 1B.

In 1970 the Pirates 1B Bob Robertson slashed . 287/.367/.564 OPS+ 149. The last time Clendenon gave the Pirates that kind of production was never. With Robertson and Oliver the Pirates won the NL East 5 of 6 years from 1970-1975.
Given his longevity and counting stats, it surprised me to see that Oliver only ended up in the mid 40s in WAR.

Old 08-29-2024, 04:08 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Sent by my Father in 1986 to me while stationed in Torrejon AB Spain while I served in the USAF..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (99.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 08-29-2024, 09:07 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Default Back on topic...

Roy Face signed the top card for me in November 2014, and the bottom card in the summer of 2016. He has been a very gracious signer.
Old 08-30-2024, 01:13 PM
Bob McLean

I remember the Pirate reliever going 18 wins and one loss one year. When he came in the game you were pretty sure your favorite team was going to lose to the Buckos.
Old 08-30-2024, 02:22 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Default .....and Don Wert

With Don Wert passing this week...another '68 Tiger in Face might be next. Sad indeed!