NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Posted By: David 

Elliot said I one couldn't vote twice, so I tested it out. There where no '4's so I voted a four, and it counted. My original, real vote was an '8.' So to make up/average out for the 4, I voted another, a '9.' I figured that since MastroNet is near Chicago, they would be understanding.

Old 07-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Posted By: petecld

Oh sure, criticize Chicago's voting history just because we don't recognize death as a viable reason not to vote and don't believe in hindering any citizen's enthusiasm for the election process by stopping them from voting as many times as they feel they want to.

What's wrong with that?

Old 07-10-2002, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Peter, nothing personal. I was going to say Baltimore, but thought people wouldn't be as familiar with the Edgar Allen Poe story.

Old 07-10-2002, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Posted By: Elliot

Actually, I think I said "vote early, vote often"

Seriously, though, I, too, have concerns about the integrity of the poll and the results. Clearly, some people have voted without realizing there is a drop-down menu, and others have voted more than once even though the software was "supposed" to have stopped this from occuring. There are a lot of companies that provide polling software (this is one of the largest), so perhaps I need to find different software.

Do people think we should redo this poll, or just move forward? or do people think that there are enough flaws that the whole idea should be scrapped.

My thoughts are that we recognize the limitations of the poll (after all, it is only a poll) and move forward with better software (if it is available).

Old 07-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Elliot, it would not allow be to vote a second time right away. I had to shut down my browser, then come back to vote consecuatively.

Old 07-10-2002, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Posted By: Tom

Just don't use drop-down boxes. Sorry to start another thread about the Poll (or Pole for Julie). Can you do more than one at a time? Like something with dealers or something and favorite card from a set or favorite set or something. Nonetheless, interesting.

Old 07-10-2002, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Sounds good, but let's all realize that Elliot doesn't receive a salary for his position (though, I hear he's a glutton for punishment).

Old 07-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Posted By: Mike Williams

votes by an IP Address? If it does (and the users ISP of choice dynamically allocates IP's), I can see how multiple votes are accepted by the same person (using a different IP address).

Old 07-10-2002, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Posted By: Elliot

That's exactly how it tracks, and from what I understand all of them track the same way. I realized this was a limitation of the software, but was hoping nobody would point it out. Perhaps, we just need to live with the problem, and realize that it is only a poll, and therefore has it's limitations.

Old 07-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Posted By: petecld

Oh, don't misunderstand. I didn't take it personally. I thought the reference was funny.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Default skewing the poll

Posted By: Harry

My Dad wanted to cast a vote. He does not have internet access and wanted to use mine. My computer would not let him, so the software is working well in some instances.

Elliot, if you can add a "6", my Dad would appreciate it. He collects vintage baseball books and rates him "a little above average" in this regard which I guess is a "6".