NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Default Harry D. Quin

Posted By: Justin

I acquired a 1899 - 1900 Sporting News image clipping of Harry D. Quin from a board member back in January, and I've been trying to find out more about him ever since. So far, I've been unsuccessful, but hopefully at least one board member can help me out. All the info. I have on him and the only image I've seen of him are contained on this clipping that I have. All I know is that he was the temporary president of the American Association during the 1899 baseball season. He was also the president and the owner of the Milwaukee Club of the American Association in 1891. The board member that I got this from said he believes that it is the only image of him that exist today, and I'm starting to feel that way as well. Hopefully Harry D. Quin hasn't been forgotten with time because he seemed like an interesting character and he was a part of early baseball history. If nobody can help me, well at least I can say that I've educated a few baseball fanatics out there in cyberspace! Here is the image I have of him:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The bottom reads: "Harry D. Quin, the temporary president of the new American Association, is a successful young business man of Milwaukee. He is interested in the leading blank book and stationery firm of that city. In 1891 he was the president and principal owner of the Milwaukee Club of the American Association. It was chiefly through his enterprise that Mike Kelly's Killers were transferred to that city. Mr. Quin is popular in social and business circles and is a great patron of sports."

Old 10-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default Harry D. Quin

Posted By: Rich Klein

Justin:

This is the perfect case of a person needing to be in SABR. SABR has "committees" and dedicated researchers to both the pre-1900 century time and to the "deadball" era (1901-20). A person such as the one you mentioned has probably been researched already, but if not, I guarantee you that someone will take the mantle and do some work on this figure from Baseball's past.

SABR.Org is the main web site and as Jay and I like to point out, the membership can be a bargain between the publications you receive and the contacts you can make.

Rich

Old 10-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Default Harry D. Quin

Posted By: Justin

Thanks Rich! I looked at SABR's website, and the annual fee doesn't seem bad at all for the info. you can get there. They even have many Sporting News issues from this same era on microfilm, so I might be able to find this exact page this clipping came from in it's entirety. I think I'm definitely going to sign up because there are a few baseball players I'm having trouble finding anything about as well.