NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2003, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Default MICKEY MANTLE AUCTION

Posted By: Jay Miller 

Not exactly a vintage topic, but how did what I would consider a second tier auction house like Guernsey get the Mickey Mantle memorabilia from the Mantle family? I would have thought that this material would have gone to Mastro or Lelands or Rob Lifson or maybe even Sotheby or Christie but not these guys. Are others as surprised as I am?

Old 11-11-2003, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Joel Platt stuff.....with help from Hunts. Pretty big coup on all that. Anyone know much about the Platt guy? Seems like his stuff is all over the board. Much more memorabilia than cards. Why didn't you bid on Ali's Pennsylvania Camp? Or the Yankees Rolls?

Old 11-11-2003, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I think it is very hard to authenticate old football equipment. My guess is that on some of the things in that sale there are divergent views as to whether the pieces are authentic. Could have used the Yankee Rolls. My car doesn't handle well in snow. . Did you read the SCD article about the auction? Apparently, this guy Platt wants to set up a "super" HOF combining all sports. There may also be a wing for collectors. Don't bad mouth the guy or it will kill any chance you have for induction.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

my checkered past with betting on baseball CARDS (and losing on some) will hurt me from induction. It has, to date, kept me out of the Supreme Court as well. That, and not paying Social Security on that baby sitter's wages a couple weeks ago will be my deathknell..........

Old 11-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I knew the illegal aliens I hired to do the yard work would come back to bite me in the arse. My addiction to horse glue from 19th century albums probably doesn't help either.

JAy

Old 11-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Though not in recent sports collector's memories, Guernsey's (sp) has done a few large sports auctions. I believe they did the Mark McGwire 70HR ball and the 1989 Topps Archives auctions ... This is just my off hand impression, but I beleive they do a lot of single consignor auctions-- ala single estate or Topps-- and do more than sports.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Having just looked at the auction highlights, even MastroNet is envious of some of this stuff: Mantle's 1957 MVP Award, 1962 World Series Ring?