NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Danny Gabel

Default Thinking about going to Japan to watch baseball

Hello,

I know this isn't about cards but for the love of the game we have that I think we will be able to talk about everything related to baseball.

My girlfriend and I have been traveling for 6 weeks in Asia. Was in Philippines, Singapore and Malaysia. Im tempting to go to Japan for maybe two weeks and touch all of 12 baseball stadiums and their "cooperstown" baseball hall of fame museum.

I think it would be a rich experience for baseball fan like myself.

Even though I'm thousand and thousand miles away from my collection, I still find myself checking on eBay at daily basis to see if I can find anything related to Deaf Sports and of course to get my n54 fix often.

Thoughts about making a baseball trip to Japan?

Best,
Danny
Old 09-06-2016, 02:41 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Never been to Japan, but I was in S. Korea a few years ago. Convinced some international colleagues to attend a baseball game there (go Dusan Bears!) and it was simply AWESOME. Electric soccer like crowd, cheerleaders, cheap tickets, plus you could just bring whatever concessions (beer, pizza, etc.) In with you, no questions asked. I was the only American in the group, but we all had an absolutely amazing time. I say go for it in Japan, and hope you have a similar Experience!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38
Old 09-06-2016, 04:13 PM
A.J. Johnson

If you go be sure to give us all a report! Sounds like a great time
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 09-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Doug Goodman

I would suggest a smaller stadium like Jingu Meiji Stadium vs Giant Stadium.

But you will have a great time no matter where you go.

Doug
Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Sean McGinty

I live in Japan (and have spent 13 years of my life here) so I can probably offer some tips.

Viewing games live here is a great experience, but quite different from the US.

If you want the "full" Japanese experience, my recommendation would be to get seats in the right field bleacher seats. These are where the home team`s supporter`s club (Ouendan) sit. Sitting with them is an experience nothing like in the US. You are surrounded by the most intense baseball fans in the world, with volunteers waving gigantic flags, playing instruments and engaging in organized cheering throughout the game. They are some colorful characters out there, half of them look like they are members of the Yakuza, but if you are a baseball fan willing to root for the home team then you are welcome.

This is what it looks like, though the video doesn`t do it justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9qnhtcJ8C4 

If you are the type who just wants to sit and quietly watch the game, then the infield seats are for you, but I do recommend trying right field sometimes (if you are rooting for the visiting team, the left field bleacher seats are reserved for their supporters club).

The best stadium by far to watch a game is Koshien, home of the Hanshin Tigers (located in the suburbs between Osaka and Kobe). Its a pre-war stadium that has been recently renovated, but maintains all of its old-school charm. It still has the all-dirt infield that all Japanese stadiums used to have. Jingu Stadium in Tokyo (home of the Yakult Swallows) is the only other stadium of historical interest still in use, and it is also worth checking out but isn`t as nice as Koshien.

If you are a traditionalist like me, one downside of watching games elsewhere is that half of the teams play in ugly domes (Giants, Dragons, Hawks, Lions, Fighters) which....I just hate. Stadium construction is just now catching up to the US trend from the 90s of retro ballparks, Hiroshima just opened the first such stadium in Japan and it looks like a nice place to see the Carp play (I`ve never been to a game there, but have seen it from the window of bullet trains as I pass through the city sometimes).

Last edited by seanofjapan; 09-06-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Robert Klevens

If you go to Japan and plan to travel around the country be sure to buy the Japan Rail Pass which allows unlimited travel on the JR Lines including most Shinkansen (bullet trains). The pass must be purchased online before entering Japan. I am going to Japan in November to look for vintage baseball collectibles.

Most of the great US tours to Japan were played at Meiji Jingu Stadium in Tokyo and Koshien Stadium in Osaka. Koshien also has a nice baseball museum.

The Hall of Fame and Museum is located at the Tokyo Dome. I have spent many hours in their library researching vintage sports publications.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:47 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I"m just researching a trip there next year. I came across this site that can help with tickets if you don't want to do it yourself.

http://www.japanballtickets.com/works.html
Old 09-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Chris Wood

Enjoying a game or two while visiting Japan is def on my bucket list! Go for it and pls report back.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:37 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I would like to go to Cuba on a baseball sabbatical. Sadly my wife has no interest in going to Cuba. Were I ever in Japan, hell yeah I'd go to a game.

I remember once driving though the hinterlands of Virginia on my way to a client meeting (FarmVille VA as I recall) where they had radio broadcasts of the local little league. I found myself listening despite the fact that I knew none of the players or very little about the town for that matter. That is when I knew I was probably over the edge as a baseball fan. Common little Jimmy Flora, you're due, dammit!
Old 09-09-2016, 02:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great info, thanks for sharing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
I live in Japan (and have spent 13 years of my life here) so I can probably offer some tips.

Viewing games live here is a great experience, but quite different from the US.

If you want the "full" Japanese experience, my recommendation would be to get seats in the right field bleacher seats. These are where the home team`s supporter`s club (Ouendan) sit. Sitting with them is an experience nothing like in the US. You are surrounded by the most intense baseball fans in the world, with volunteers waving gigantic flags, playing instruments and engaging in organized cheering throughout the game. They are some colorful characters out there, half of them look like they are members of the Yakuza, but if you are a baseball fan willing to root for the home team then you are welcome.

This is what it looks like, though the video doesn`t do it justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9qnhtcJ8C4 

If you are the type who just wants to sit and quietly watch the game, then the infield seats are for you, but I do recommend trying right field sometimes (if you are rooting for the visiting team, the left field bleacher seats are reserved for their supporters club).

The best stadium by far to watch a game is Koshien, home of the Hanshin Tigers (located in the suburbs between Osaka and Kobe). Its a pre-war stadium that has been recently renovated, but maintains all of its old-school charm. It still has the all-dirt infield that all Japanese stadiums used to have. Jingu Stadium in Tokyo (home of the Yakult Swallows) is the only other stadium of historical interest still in use, and it is also worth checking out but isn`t as nice as Koshien.

If you are a traditionalist like me, one downside of watching games elsewhere is that half of the teams play in ugly domes (Giants, Dragons, Hawks, Lions, Fighters) which....I just hate. Stadium construction is just now catching up to the US trend from the 90s of retro ballparks, Hiroshima just opened the first such stadium in Japan and it looks like a nice place to see the Carp play (I`ve never been to a game there, but have seen it from the window of bullet trains as I pass through the city sometimes).
Old 09-09-2016, 11:39 PM
Danny Gabel

Thanks for all great inputs. I simply can't wait to make this happen. I was able to find a great hotel with wifi here at Malapascia Island, Philippines to check this post and starting making plans for my Japan trip.

Im hoping to do all 12 parks in two weeks. Gonna be tough but nothing is impossible

Hope to find baseball card store or show there. Would love to pick up a vintage stuff to remember my time down there.

You guys are the best, period.

Best,
Danny
Old 09-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGabel View Post
Thanks for all great inputs. I simply can't wait to make this happen. I was able to find a great hotel with wifi here at Malapascia Island, Philippines to check this post and starting making plans for my Japan trip.

Im hoping to do all 12 parks in two weeks. Gonna be tough but nothing is impossible

Hope to find baseball card store or show there. Would love to pick up a vintage stuff to remember my time down there.

You guys are the best, period.

Best,
Danny
If you are looking to visit some card shops, take a look at Dave`s blog posts from when he did a tour of Tokyo baseball card shops, there is some useful info there (some might be a bit out of date since it was in 2013, but it makes for interesting reading anyway):

http://japanesebaseballcards.blogspo...l/Card%20Shops