NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Autographs & Game Used B/S/T

Old 12-23-2015, 08:11 AM

Default Charles Comiskey Cut Auto 1/1 BGS 9.5

These never come up for sale...until now. Asking $2250 or best offer. Almost impossible to find and a beautiful autograph signed his full name! (He often simply signed it: "Chas")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.3 KB, 208 views)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

You realize that this autograph is from the Hall of Famers grandson, Charles A Comiskey II,-right? and that he commonly signed Charles?

Hence, the signature is in ballpoint pen-which was invented 7 years after the Hall of Fame owner passed.

Last edited by tazdmb; 12-23-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Scott

Yeah, defintely Grandson, VERY obvious. still cool
Old 12-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Scan of the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.4 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Buckswin07; 12-23-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
You realize that this autograph is from the Hall of Famers grandson, Charles A Comiskey II,-right? and that he commonly signed Charles?

Hence, the signature is in ballpoint pen-which was invented 7 years after the Hall of Fame owner passed.
The Ball point pen was invented in 1888. He died in 1931. I scanned the back of the card. Why do you think this is an auto of the son/grandson and not the owner as the card depicts? It says he helped form the American Leauge.

Last edited by Buckswin07; 12-23-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Fine, I should have said patented instead of invented. Regardless, it wasn't in commercial use when Charles Comiskey, the HOFer passed. Comiskey's Grandson had the exact same name and middle initial. He was also owner of Chicago White Sox. He passed away less than ten years ago, and his autograph retails for around $50. I have no idea the added value since this is a "1/1".

Technically, the back is a bit deceiving, as it Left out the "II" in his name, but is otherwise correct.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ox-mr-comiskey
Old 12-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

See this lot for an example of Comiskey II's autograph-it is just like yours.

https://pristineauction.com/a176470-...rridge-JSA-LOA
Old 12-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Scott

Bottom line is, this looks NOTHING like the HOFer and Thrifty owner of the Sox, :Charles Comiskey's, signature
Old 12-23-2015, 01:40 PM

Actually, it does. The Y finishes the same way. So your saying the cards depiction on whose signature is on the front is incorrect?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:42 PM

The card also says he's a HOF baseball player and helped form the American Leauge. His son did none of that, no? And the Picture on the front...who is that?

Last edited by Buckswin07; 12-23-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:51 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

This is not the autograph of the original Charles Comiskey, it's not even close....
Old 12-23-2015, 03:04 PM

After further research, it does indeed appear to not be that of Comiskey. I'm looking into Sportkings on the matter. Thanks for everyone's input!

Last edited by Buckswin07; 12-23-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckswin07 View Post
After further research, it does indeed appear to not be that of Comiskey. I'm looking into Sportkings on the matter. Thanks for everyone's input!
Good luck, the picture in front is indeed that of the HOFer Comiskey.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:26 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Good luck, the picture in front is indeed that of the HOFer Comiskey.
Yes it is, it appears the representation from Beckett was a tad dicey at best....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-23-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Thank you. Already looks to be made right!

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/v...skey-auto.html
Old 12-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Wow, glad to see manufacturer is making it right!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Michael

Just look at any of the HOF Comiskey autographs or look in Ron's book. It is the grandson 100%
Old 12-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Danny Smith

Big miss by Beckett but glad it's gonna get fixed.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:03 AM
qu@n nguy3n

blind leading the blind. glad OP finally relented so you guys can help him get an actual authentic sig of the more famous comiskey....ridiculous.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
blind leading the blind. glad OP finally relented so you guys can help him get an actual authentic sig of the more famous comiskey....ridiculous.
Besides your attitude in the above post, what's ridiculous about people pointing out that signature is not THE Charles Comiskeys? Obviously, at first I would be skeptical on other people's opinions. The reason is simply because the card I was holding stated otherwise.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:07 AM
Brendan Mullen

I think what he's saying is that you need to do your due diligence and know the difference between the two before you just purchase something blindly and then later post it for sale for $2000+. The above looks NOTHING like "the real Comiskey's" autograph. Not even close. I don't think he was being rude...
Old 12-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Besides your attitude in the above post, what's ridiculous about people pointing out that signature is not THE Charles Comiskeys? Obviously, at first I would be skeptical on other people's opinions. The reason is simply because the card I was holding stated otherwise.
What is ridiculous is Sport Kings with their "authentic" autographs and your willingness to accept these as authentic without doing the due diligence and listening to the knowledgeable folks on this board (i.e. your argumentative diatribe AFTER you were told this card is Commy's son)

Last edited by gnaz01; 12-24-2015 at 07:15 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-24-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I think what he's saying is that you need to do your due diligence and know the difference between the two before you just purchase something blindly and then later post it for sale for $2000+. The above looks NOTHING like "the real Comiskey's" autograph. Not even close. I don't think he was being rude...
Well, I didn't purchase the card blind. It was pulled from a pack, graded. So I had to take the card, and Beckett at its word. What due diligence could I have possibly done? If I pull a Sportkings auto, and it's graded/authenticated by Beckett, it does not make me nieve to assume it's real.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:51 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
So I had to take the card, and Beckett at its word.
Not meant to criticize or condemn, but this statement is the MAIN concern. WHY do you feel you have to take them at their word??? Search the board and you will find several PSA/DNA fails that are certed, and we don't "take their word" so to say...........

Last edited by gnaz01; 12-24-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:58 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
I think the reason he used that tone is because you joined this forum two months ago where many members have DECADES of autograph expertise and immediately argued when they told you what was blatantly obvious, even to someone as green as me. I saw it and immediately thought "Doesn't Comiskey usually sign with very curly C's and in fountain pen? Weird..."

If you want to get the most out of this forum, sit back, read, and learn. There is a wealth of knowledge here that these guys freely share. It's worth your time.

Good luck and glad the company is making it right with you.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:25 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I think the reason he used that tone is because you joined this forum two months ago where many members have DECADES of autograph expertise and immediately argued when they told you what was blatantly obvious, even to someone as green as me. I saw it and immediately thought "Doesn't Comiskey usually sign with very curly C's and in fountain pen? Weird..."

If you want to get the most out of this forum, sit back, read, and learn. There is a wealth of knowledge here that these guys freely share. It's worth your time.

Good luck and glad the company is making it right with you.
+1: Well said!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Not meant to criticize or condemn, but this statement is the MAIN concern. WHY do you feel you have to take them at their word??? Search the board and you will find several PSA/DNA fails that are certed, and we don't "take their word" so to say...........
Greg,
Only several?

I just noticed this thread.
This is another perfect example of why these ridiculous 1/1 things are such crap.
They probably destroyed two letters in this nonsense. One of which would have been worth thousands of dollars. They make it into a 1/1 card and it makes speculators think it is something special. It is only a marketing gimmick. Take something of value, destroy it, then create something with phony value. A marketers dream and a real collectors nightmare.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsimon View Post
greg,
only several?

i just noticed this thread.
This is another perfect example of why these ridiculous 1/1 things are such crap.
They probably destroyed two letters in this nonsense. One of which would have been worth thousands of dollars. They make it into a 1/1 card and it makes speculators think it is something special. It is only a marketing gimmick. Take something of value, destroy it, then create something with phony value. A marketers dream and a real collectors nightmare.
+10000
Old 12-24-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post

I did at first, but after reading several posts on the matter, I went ahead and agreed with everyone's sentiments. That's Why I reported the findings by the good folks here to people that could assist me.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckswin07 View Post
i did at first, but after reading several posts on the matter, i went ahead and agreed with everyone's sentiments. That's why i reported the findings by the good folks here to people that could assist me.
+1000
Old 12-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Just to be clear, Beckett grades autographs, they do not authticate autographs. There is a big difference.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Just to be clear, Beckett grades autographs, they do not authticate autographs. There is a big difference.
Do you mean that they will encapsulate forgeries and grade them?
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-24-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Do you mean that they will encapsulate forgeries and grade them?
To some extent, possibly. They rely on the card company to authenticate the autograph. They will simply grade an autograph. If the card company gets it wrong, so will they. Heck, see the card that started this thread. I am sorry to dig up old dirt, but I still have strong doubts about the Cartwright that was also part of the Sportking card that was advertised here earlier.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
To some extent, possibly. They rely on the card company to authenticate the autograph. They will simply grade an autograph. If the card company gets it wrong, so will they. Heck, see the card that started this thread. I am sorry to dig up old dirt, but I still have strong doubts about the Cartwright that was also part of the Sportking card that was advertised here earlier.
A wonderful system to be sure.
Relying on card companies to authenticate autographs. We know where that has gotten us in the past.
--