NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Brad Francis

Default Why are T207's getting a bad rap

I have been wanting to ask this question for awhile now. It seems that collectors are cold to this set and I am not sure why. I really love the look of the brown background and plan to collect the NY Americans/Yankees set. What are your thoughts? Why the hate?

My T207 Yankees checklist:

Bert Daniels
Ray Fisher
Chester Hoff
Jack Quinn
Gabby Street
Hippo Vaughn
Jack Warhop
Bob Williams
Harry Wolverton
Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Ken McMillan

T207 cards are awesome. I collect T207 Cubs and have all but the Saier and Ward Miller cards. Mine are framed and are quite beautiful.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 PM

They look a bit depressing imo
Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Mike

Default "Its a T207 thing - you wouldn't understand..."

Hey Brad,

Not sure I'd go as far as calling it "the hate", but T207's are an certainly an odd beast. You have only to search the forum and read the number of (relatively few) posts to realize that it does seem to be sort of a "love or hate" relationship with the set. That said, I tend to think of it as either disinterest or obsession. The posters enamored with the set (myself included) has been pretty stable, consistent, and in the relative minority here over the last few years.

Speculation as to why the set remains of lesser interest than its T205 and T206 "brethren" takes a variety of shapes. I'm sure you'll come up with a few.

FWIW, the NY team (Highlanders, pre-Yankees) are one of the easier team sets to complete, depending on condition you're after. (You could get 8 of the 9 you have listed today, for example). Only Hoff will set you back much and take any time, though these days there are others that come up less often.

--
Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 07:08 PM
pete ullman

I love T207's for many reasons that make them unpopular...BUT...the lack of star players...the drab brown backgrounds...the propensity to crack...the boring backs...all contribute to the lack of popularity of t207.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I love T207's for many reasons that make them unpopular...BUT...the lack of star players...
+1

I think the absence of many of the stars of the day (no Cobb, no Matty and of course no Honus, etc) lowers collector interest in this set.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 07-27-2014, 07:20 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

The lipstick walter Johnson is an amazing card, but if I already have the same common from 05 and 06, my money will go elsewhere.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I like the 207's and will pick one up from time to time. There seems to be far less of the 207's around than the 206's and 205's. Which I don't mind as it may keep prices down a bit! As mentioned, the set is a bit drab compared to the highly colorful 206 and 205 issues and lack of star power makes for a lack of interest.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Bill Gregory

I didn't really like the T207 set at first for the reasons listed. But I have really warmed to them because they are so different than any other card. It's ok with me that the set is missing some of the stars. There's plenty of great players that are there. And while some might see the white on brown as depressing, I think they create a really interesting counterpoint when placed next to something like a T206.

I haven't bought any of these cards yet, but I am going to. A couple are on my list of cards to acquire in the next year. I really like the Bresnahan, and the Knabbe batting stance picture is really cool. Feet spread shoulder length apart, hands down and slightly back, bat angled back ready to smack the ball. I love it.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have no ill will towards T207....more types for the collection..

Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Arnie

I think the T207 just dont have the colors of the T206 or T205, but they are still nice.

Enjoy your quest of the Yankee team, it took me a long time to put it together, that Hoff card can be tough. It was the last card i needed to have a complete run of T205/T206/T207 Yankees. But now that i got it, its great to have these.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 AM
M!ke S@il£r

I suspect it is a combination of the lack of major stars and the price of many tougher cards. I think this set would be more popular if there was a Cobb or Wagner in the set. Often times, even one key card will get collector's interested.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Danny Gr|mes

I like the t207 set second the t206s. The brown backround and overall lack of pizzazz doesn't bother me at all. I like the change in player pictures and action shots, especially the ones breaking up the same generic poses of their t206 fronts that follow in alot of other card sets. I think the lack of stars would be an incentive to complete the set, but on the other hand theres super tough cards like lowdermilk and George weaver that also haunt this one.

Last edited by refz; 07-28-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Jason Stricker

The more T207's I bought, the more I liked them. I was putting together a HOF T207 subset, but I'm having to sell the cards for the house I'm building and my son who'll be born in November. Much rather have a son and house, but I hope to re-collect the T207s at some point in the future.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Jason Albregts

I can take 'em or leave 'em. I had the Bresnahan for a while but its appeal wore off so I sold it. I don't currently have any T207 Cardinals on my want list. That may change but they are just not a priority right now.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM

Default T207 toughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvymelvin View Post
I have been wanting to ask this question for awhile now. It seems that collectors are cold to this set and I am not sure why. I really love the look of the brown background and plan to collect the NY Americans/Yankees set. What are your thoughts? Why the hate?

My T207 Yankees checklist:

Bert Daniels
Ray Fisher
Chester Hoff
Jack Quinn
Gabby Street
Hippo Vaughn
Jack Warhop
Bob Williams
Harry Wolverton

Most on your list are easy, a couple a little more difficult, and the Hoff is just plain tough and will be expensive when it does become available.

Brian
Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Zach

I really like the look of the T207 set. Right now I'm only interested in Anonymous Factory 3 and Red Cross (wishful thinking!) backs as they tie in with Louisiana. I think the muted colors with just a hint of red in the cheeks or blue/red in the team logo is a great look. I don't think I appreciated them as much when I first started collecting but they've definitely grown on me.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
I really like the look of the T207 set. Right now I'm only interested in Anonymous Factory 3 and Red Cross (wishful thinking!) backs as they tie in with Louisiana. I think the muted colors with just a hint of red in the cheeks or blue/red in the team logo is a great look. I don't think I appreciated them as much when I first started collecting but they've definitely grown on me.
The T207 Red Crosses doubled in known population a few years back. But to still have a back from a mainstream set, with under 15 known, is quite scarce. This one will be on display at the National too...

Old 07-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Zach

Doubled all the way into the teens! So you're saying there's hope?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Alex

I think the set is ugly. It's like someone took a T206 and soaked it in muddy water.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:19 PM

Default T207's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I love T207's for many reasons that make them unpopular...BUT...the lack of star players...the drab brown backgrounds...the propensity to crack...the boring backs...all contribute to the lack of popularity of t207.
I have to agree with Peter. The cracking on the front is bothersome as well as lack of start players are the biggest reason. However, I like the set....just not as enthusiastic about collecting this as other sets.

Z Wheat
Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 PM
John Mavroudis

Wow... gotta disagree with some folks here. I LOVE the T207 set. Sort of a classy, low-key neighbor to the high-falutin T206. There's some real beauties in this set. I particularly love this one:

www.zenpop.com
Old 08-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Jesse

I have to say the background really drags me away from this set. The art work isn't as eye popping as some of the other tobacco sets out there.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

In my opion:

I have never like the 207s because the pictures really don't look like the specific player...almost like the E91s which are worse..in that regard anyway.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Mike

Default Part of the mystery ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
In my opion:

I have never like the 207s because the pictures really don't look like the specific player...almost like the E91s which are worse..in that regard anyway.
On the one hand (e.g. Johnson), I agree about the overall quality of likeness... on the other, e.g. Donlin, its a different story.

If you've got a card with decent image and registration quality in hand, many of them (about half) are just amazing - there's much more of a depth, feeling and vibrancy to the image than you might expect.

Sadly, most of the HOF'ers do not fall into that category. I think Hooper is probably the exception ... (and maybe Wallace)

Also, while there's not the diversity of manufacturing backs like T205 and T206, there are enough vagaries, subtleties, and general difficulties that understanding and completing have made it enjoyable for me over the last few years.

My two biased cents ...
--
Mike
Old 08-03-2014, 07:37 PM

Default I think....

the brown overall creates a "drab" look to the card

in all due respect to the collectors of this set....but rarities like lowdermilk and blank backs I think keep it interesting
Old 08-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Two Donlins with drab backgrounds; I'd take both ahead of any of the Donlin T206 cards all day.

T207 (Cycle back)1903 Breisch Williams E107-1

Last edited by calvindog; 08-03-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Rob G.

wow, I'd never seen the T207 Donlin before, beautiful card! Jeff, nice job sneakin' in an E107 into a T207 thread .... magnificent card

here are a couple drabs I own ...
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T207_Vaughn_(2359).jpg (72.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Thomas_(2431).jpg (61.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Mike

Default Well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
the brown overall creates a "drab" look to the card

in all due respect to the collectors of this set....but rarities like lowdermilk and blank backs I think keep it interesting
Drab, maybe ... some call it earthy ... also, given that external collectors perception that Lowdermilk really is one of the rarest cards in the set is just fine by those of us that actually collect it , though it does jack the prices a good bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Two Donlins with drab backgrounds; I'd take both ahead of any of the Donlin T206 cards all day.
Exactly, Jeff - an (edited out) form of my post had the T207 Donlin side-by-side with the T206 Donlin seated and hands-on-knees. There just isn't any comparison. Your Cycle is top-notch - love the card, and the E107 speaks for itself.

--
Mike