NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2014, 04:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default McGreachery in REA

If Anson in Uniform is the Wagner of the Old Judge set, it looks like McGreachery (and Wright pose three) might become the Planks.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Still 20 days left and "ONLY" at $32K...Wondering if what I told Bill might be on the low side now...

Joshua
Old 04-06-2014, 04:27 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

What did you tell Bill?
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I gave him a range based on what (little) I know...you are more of the expert so I assume you gave him a range too (if not an actual offer). I hope my range is low though for his sake. And that is between me and Bill.

It is a great card and a true rarity...there are more planks around (ty cobb with cobb backs too for that matter) than this card.

Joshua
Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Mike

What is the highest selling price known for an N172 Old Judge ??? Is this card considered part of the set ? Was it issued with the other cards ? Thanks

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 04-06-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add on
Old 04-06-2014, 05:11 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The highest price in auction is a California League Doyle that sold in REA for almost $130,000. Having said that I would guess that if an Anson in Uniform came to market it would sell for multiples of this. McGreachery was issued and is part of the set.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Mike

Old Judge : Thanks for the input.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Rich Klein

I'm glad in my small way I could help Bill with his sale
Old 04-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I always thought the Deacon White portrait was one of the neatest cards in the set. He has always commanded a premium and would often sell for well above the average HOFer before he was elected. Now that he is in the HOF the demand for his cards have escalated. the McGreachery card is quite a conversation piece, shrouded in mystery. I believe the McGreachery card is second only the Anson in Uniform.

I wish Bill the best of luck with this sale.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It's a great card; it could surpass the Doyle in realization.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 PM

Reminds me of this old thread.

While some posts within the thread were a bit convoluted, it was an interesting and informative thread overall.

Last edited by CW; 04-06-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Just when I think I have a grip on this set. I see this card and get slapped with the hard truth I should keep my head down and not think so much.

What a great card wow.

Cheers,

John
Old 04-07-2014, 04:11 AM
Barry Sloate

If you look at the bid history you can see that a very high ceiling bid was left. So anytime someone places a bid, two are kicking in.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Bill

This is a little surreal am I still asleep? Thank you Joe, Jay for all the support and thanks to REA for having so many incredible items up for auction. WOW. The overall catalog is a work of art and the lots are unbelievable. So much cool history beyond the high grade examples of some of the most sought after cards in the hobby. Americana, baseball.

A very sincere thank you to all the bidders of Lot#16 Old Judge James Laurie "Deacon" White pose #9 McGreachery card to this point. There are only 2 of these cards known and who knows when this will go up for auction again.

Good luck to everyone on their bidding.

Last edited by sportzjunky; 04-07-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I'm glad in my small way I could help Bill with his sale
That you have Rich. Thank you very much a local newspaper saw your on-line story and they have contacted me as well. Not sure where that leads but any pub is good pub for the McGreachery lot. All the best Rich! BP
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM

Good luck with the auction, BIll.

Last edited by CW; 04-08-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: to go with the flow
Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Bill

Thanks Chuck! All the best!

Last edited by sportzjunky; 04-08-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Hmmmm I know those fingers....I think they have touched my cards too boy do those thumbs get around.

I think I want to win this card so I can start a "post your McGreachery if you own one thread" but it sounds like its a 2 reply thread...

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-07-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Mike

Any estimates of how many of these cards were printed ? Only 2 known to exist now ? Has anyone traced how the owner before the current owner obtained the card ?

I always wonder, why a company would hired a photographer and studio, print a card , insert into cigarette packs , and then only print a few of them. Seems like a lot of expensive to print only a few sheets.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 PM

Someone once estimated that 1 out of 20 T206 cards printed, still survive. Don't remember how they came up with those numbers, but there was a reason. Old Judge cards were printed 20 years earlier, so I wouldn't be surprised if the % of OJ cards left is even less than 5%. Many of them were thrown out the day they were bought.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS