NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2013, 09:10 PM
David R

Default Does SGC Registry Work Anymore?

I haven't been on the registry in a really long time. I logged in today and tried to enter about 20 cards. For every one of them, the system said it did not recognize the cert and could not add it. Many of these cards I submitted for grading myself and many others were in previous SGC registry sets so I know the certs are good.

Does the SGC Registry still work? Has anyone else had problems lately?

David R
Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 AM
D@vid Fel@

I tried to update my set over the weekend. The system deleted the entire set instead. When I started to re input the cert numbers I got a lot of errors - for cards that were already registered! Their registry and web design are terrible and always have issues.

D@vid Fel@ per forum rules

Last edited by felada; 07-22-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:15 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

There is a new registry that is currently being tested.. I don't know if that has anything with your issues, but its possible.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Scott

Default and there you have it

this is the main crux of why PSA graded cards sell for more than their comparable SGC cards...

PSA registry is near perfect, they give "awards", and people genuinely COMPETE to get near the top...this COMPETITION causes many to pay higher prices than they would without this registry...

SGC needs to get their act together with this....it DOES make a difference, I hope they understand this!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Default Sgc registry

We are not aware of a specific issue that is causing problems with sets on the Registry, however we will look into it ASAP. We are in the process of enhancing our website and Registry, but that should not have any effect on the current version of the Set Registry. Anyone who has had cards deleted or cert numbers that receive an error message can contact me and I will have them re-entered. We apologize for any inconvenience and will keep this board updated with any new information.

Earl Johnson
Customer Service Manager
ejohnson@sgccard.com
1-800-742-9212 x105
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Sgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARLSWORLD View Post
We are not aware of a specific issue that is causing problems with sets on the Registry, however we will look into it ASAP. We are in the process of enhancing our website and Registry, but that should not have any effect on the current version of the Set Registry. Anyone who has had cards deleted or cert numbers that receive an error message can contact me and I will have them re-entered. We apologize for any inconvenience and will keep this board updated with any new information.

Earl Johnson
Customer Service Manager
ejohnson@sgccard.com
1-800-742-9212 x105
This is why I use SGC...Customer Service is top notch..Thanks Earl
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
This is why I use SGC...Customer Service is top notch..Thanks Earl
+1

When was the last time you saw Joe O (or anyone at PSA) chime in to address a concern? Customer service - that is where PSA fails miserably.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Comparing SGC to PSA is like comparing a mom and pop store to a major corporation. You get better service in the mom and pop store but the corporation can offer so much more. SGC has never gotten their registry off the ground because they were late to the game and didn't spend the money that PSA did. As a result, there is no "registry value added" for high grade SGC cards but there is a substantial "registry value added" for high grade PSA cards. You would think that you could arb the difference, but there is a risk to this as I believe that the only way you are assured a fair grade on a crossover is to break the card out and resubmit it raw.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
+1

When was the last time you saw Joe O (or anyone at PSA) chime in to address a concern? Customer service - that is where PSA fails miserably.
that may be true but that doesn't stop BUYERS from going that extra bid!

that was cool seeing an SGC response so quickly...nicely done sir!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Comparing SGC to PSA is like comparing a mom and pop store to a major corporation. You get better service in the mom and pop store but the corporation can offer so much more. SGC has never gotten their registry off the ground because they were late to the game and didn't spend the money that PSA did. As a result, there is no "registry value added" for high grade SGC cards but there is a substantial "registry value added" for high grade PSA cards. You would think that you could arb the difference, but there is a risk to this as I believe that the only way you are assured a fair grade on a crossover is to break the card out and resubmit it raw.
Unfortunate for SGC but true. I still have most of my collection in their (SGC) holders but I also don't collect high grade stuff. I also don't collect "registry style". (not that there is anything wrong with that, as there isn't, I would just rather collect cards than cards-by-grade-number)
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Your statement assumes that registry participants only collect high grade cards. I have 3 pre-war sets on the SGC registry and only 1 card in all three sets is graded higher than a 4. Another statement in this thread (not yours) assumes that registry participants only do it for the competition. I do it for fun, not to compete, and could care less about my position on the registry. In the grades I collect, there is not much difference in price between PSA and SGC. Given all that, I'll go with the company with the better looking holder, quicker turnaround times and the better customer service.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Yes, but go look at the "9" grades in early 1960s Topps on CardTarget. Find the ones that look low to you. They are all SGC 96s or 98s. Some are REALLY low.

I think there is definitely an arb opportunity there, and for those prices there really isn't that much downside. If PSA 9s consistantly sell for $150 give or take $10 and the SGC 98 only sells for $35? There's something wrong....
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Scott

Quote:
Your statement assumes that registry participants only collect high grade cards. I have 3 pre-war sets on the SGC registry and only 1 card in all three sets is graded higher than a 4. Another statement in this thread (not yours) assumes that registry participants only do it for the competition. I do it for fun, not to compete, and could care less about my position on the registry. In the grades I collect, there is not much difference in price between PSA and SGC. Given all that, I'll go with the company with the better looking holder, quicker turnaround times and the better customer service.
im not assuming ALL registry participants compete...many use it to keep track of their sets...BUT, the top 5 sets (many times whales) are the ones who jackup the prices when they need a card for their registry that may vault them 1 spot higher....

in fact, PSA has a feature that enables a collector to see "what if" they add a certain card and what it will do to their Registry scores....this is VERY SMART...

PSA knows they have many collectors by the onions, thus they may slack on the customer service...
Old 07-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I dont even know where to start on some of the comments but this one is a good place.

Which collector would you rather be?

The one who paid $150 for a 1950's PSA 9 common...

Or the one who paid $35 for the same 1950's common in SGC 96.....

Great stuff )
Old 07-22-2013, 05:21 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
I dont even know where to start on some of the comments but this one is a good place.

Which collector would you rather be?

The one who paid $150 for a 1950's PSA 9 common...

Or the one who paid $35 for the same 1950's common in SGC 96.....

Great stuff )
Where can one get these 1950's SGC-96's for $35?
They are not on eBay nor on dealers tables
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Comparing SGC to PSA is like comparing a mom and pop store to a major corporation. You get better service in the mom and pop store but the corporation can offer so much more. SGC has never gotten their registry off the ground because they were late to the game and didn't spend the money that PSA did.
Jay, I agree with the first and third sentences, but not the second. PSA does not "offer so much more", particularly as a service company, its supposed raison d'etre. Let's see:

Better pricing for their service? No.
Better competency for their service? No.
Better consistency with their service? No.
Faster service? No.
Better listening to complaints? No.
Better at standing behind product and paying for mistakes? No.
Better variety of service? No or marginally so.
Better at feeding the egos of those who live for showing others that theirs is bigger/better? Absolutely.

Really the only advantage that I see they have, albeit it's huge and determinative, is the registry. They got that advantage years ago and I don't begrudge them, but If SGC were to invest all the money in the world into a registry at this point I doubt it would change things, at least for many years, in terms of pricing on at least the post-war stuff.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 07-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:57 PM
David Riley

The PSA Registry has made heroes of guys like Rance Mulliniks, Roy Howell, Larry Hisle, etc, etc.
I get a few laughs out of folks paying $$$ for "PSA Gem 10 Pop 1(2,3,etc)" of players I grew up knowing as fillers or commons.
I'll stick with my gameplan of collecting. Which doesn't included artificially inflating prices of cards to be #1 on a manufactured list...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Jeff C.

Better at feeding the egos of those who live for showing others that theirs is bigger/better? Absolutely.

That one made me laugh. Thanks. Speaking of registries, I noticed that Beckett is trying to get theirs off the ground. Also PSA does have 1 thing going for them...their stock pays a dividend.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

I collect what I like and don't worry what others are collecting. If you want to buy misprints, wresting cards, or HOF rookies, enjoy! If you want PSA 10 1983 Toronto Blue Jays, have fun. It won't bother me at all.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Todd--I was talking about the sophistication of the registry, the prizes and National lunch for registry "winners", and the registry customer service (which with Cossetta Robbins and B J Searles is excellent).
The "registry value added" I was talking about is for high grade cards. This is what makes the 1968 Topps common in PSA9 worth so much more than a comparable SGC96. BTW, I don't collect high grade cards and, for the most part, stay away from the registries (I have one SGC registry set and no PSA ones) and almost all my graded cards are in SGC slabs. However, if I had high grade cards to slab, and they were in active registry areas, I would use PSA.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 AM
Al Jurgela

Default I use the registry a lot to organize myself and have the goal of ..

having all my scans on there... helpful to whip out the ipad and check a card at a show to see if it is an upgrade....

I like it... and find it useful

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Todd Schultz

never mind
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 07-24-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Rob

Default SGC Registry

As of today, I am a paying member of Larry Dierker's SABR branch. I have to ask "Stumpy" if he could part with some of his T213-1 Coupons on the SGC registry. He has 3 cards that I need, and I only need 5 to complete the set. "Stumpy", I can trade or have money for those 3 cards. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
I agree with Jay in terms of the “registry added value” he mentions. No doubt that if you have that 1965 Topps common in PSA 9 or 10 it will be better served to stay in that PSA holder. With that said I think the whole which TPG’s bring more money thing is a bit of a silly argument especially between SGC and PSA.

In the end for tough or quality items I think quality and rarity will always do well regardless of what TPG holder the item resides in. I also think the whole middle of the road say VG-VGEX card world is also not really affected by this either. The difference between selling values on average is marginal in my opinion.

Now I do think SGC could do a much better job at offering their customers more options, better holders and a better web experience. I really feel they are so close but to quote Maxwell Smart many times they “missed it by the much”.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 07-24-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:36 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Not drinkin all the PSA Kool Aid.

My 55 Topps set (SGC Registry) looks amazing in the SGC slabs.

My registry cards are not for sale - they are for me (and others) to look at and reminisce.

Earl has clearly demonstrated the "customer service" aspect of the "Avis" company.

....won't be movin over to the "dark side" any time soon.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 PM
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I haven't been on the registry in a really long time. I logged in today and tried to enter about 20 cards. For every one of them, the system said it did not recognize the cert and could not add it. Many of these cards I submitted for grading myself and many others were in previous SGC registry sets so I know the certs are good.

Does the SGC Registry still work? Has anyone else had problems lately?

David R
Anyone have any luck entering cards on the registry? I emailed Earl at SGC a few days ago but haven't heard anything and still not able to enter any cards.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Keith O'Leary

Same thing here.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Scott

Default Same here

Trying to update my E90-1 set...no go
Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Registry

The Registry is working fine for me. I started a new Kotton registry and added cards and photos with no problems.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
The Registry is working fine for me.
Me too. I just tried to add a card that I am currently bidding on and it worked. I hope I win the card, I don't want to have to delete it from my registry.

If it were a registry problem, it would effect all of us - so it sounds like user error to me.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 PM
David R

Quote:
Me too. I just tried to add a card that I am currently bidding on and it worked. I hope I win the card, I don't want to have to delete it from my registry.

If it were a registry problem, it would effect all of us - so it sounds like user error to me.
I don't think so but nonetheless it would be nice for SGC to respond to emails within a week.