NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Jim Schneider

Default Trying to identify this ballpark - any thoughts?

Trying to identify this ballpark - any thoughts? Thank you. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown 1 001.jpg (74.6 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown 3 001.jpg (74.3 KB, 304 views)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Star Brand Shoes were made by Johnson & Rand Co in St. Louis, MO.

Virtually all, if not all of the advertising on the outfield wall shown from CF to foul territory is related to this company.

I would think a prewar ball park in St. Louis would be most likely. (?)

There is a structural similarity of the upper deck to Sportsmans Park.

Later photos of Sportsman's Park show the upper deck extending around into the outfield, but this could have been done in stages.

My final answer is one of the iterations of Sportsman's Park, St. Louis before the upper deck was extended.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 07-06-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Brad

I agree with Frank. I don't have my old Sportsmans Park photos handy, but for a long time it had a flag pole in center field, that I believe was actually in play. The second photo shows a large white flag pole in right-center field.

I believe the RF or CF wall may have been moved back at some point (?) and the pole was painted black (or replaced with a black one). Some of our St. Louis experts on the board could probably answer this pretty easily.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:45 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I think you're right Frank it's one of the many iterations of Sportsman's Park. Also did you notice how much foul grounds there was, it looks like 30 yards plus from the first base line to the dugout.

"The St. Louis Browns built a new ballpark where Sportsman’s Park burned in 1898. Consisting of about 8,000 wooden seats, the ballpark was named after its predecessor. In 1908 a new ballpark was constructed. Concrete and steel was used to build a double deck grandstand from first to third base with additional seating joining the lower level and extending down the lines. Bleachers were also built and placed in the outfield increasing the capacity to 18,000. The Browns played their first game at the new Sportsmans Park against Cleveland on April 14, 1909. For over two decades the Cardinals had played at Robinson Field, a 21,000 seat ballpark. In 1920 owner of the Cardinals, Sam Breadon, sold the ballpark for financial reasons. The Cardinals moved to Sportsmans Park, playing their first game there on July 1, 1920. By the 1925 season the grandstands were double decked to both foul poles and the bleachers in right field were covered, increasing the capacity to 30,500."

- See more at: http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/p....KXL1Fqwj.dpuf

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 07-06-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Jim Schneider

Default Thank you.

Yes I agree, St. Louis was my first thought but I hadn't found any photos to match up with these. Based upon the uniforms I think it may be 1909/10 Browns vs Yankees. Thank you for the help. Jim
Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Scott Ti3k

So are we thinking this is "New" Sportsman Park Aka Robison Field Aka League Park Aka Cardinal Field?

It's obviously not Stars Park & I think the image is to new to be Union League Park..

Only other possibility I can think of is Federal League Park Aka Handlan Park Aka Steininger Field..

Having trouble locating photos for comparison.. I'll do some digging through my local history books and see what I can find.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM

Default It's Sportsman's Park Circa 1909

Book and Shoe Recorder, Vol. 55 (1909):

"We have also at this same park [Sportsman's Park] on the bleachers the sign that is 400 ft. long and 6 1/2 ft. high. We will show you this sign in the next edition of 'The Evidence.' There has been about 30,000 people in this park somedays and the fact is very forcibly impressed upon these 'fans' that:

'Star Brand Shoes Are Better'"

http://books.google.com/books?id=avI...seball&f=false

Edited to add: Not sure if the 400 x 6 1/2 ft. reference means that the various Star Brand ads on the outfield wall were all part of the same sign?

Last edited by sreader3; 07-07-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Jim Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Book and Shoe Recorder, Vol. 55 (1909):

"We have also at this same park [Sportsman's Park] on the bleachers the sign that is 400 ft. long and 6 1/2 ft. high. We will show you this sign in the next edition of 'The Evidence.' There has been about 30,000 people in this park somedays and the fact is very forcibly impressed upon these 'fans' that:

'Star Brand Shoes Are Better'"

http://books.google.com/books?id=avI...seball&f=false

Edited to add: Not sure if the 400 x 6 1/2 ft. dimensions mean that the various Star Brand ads on the outfield were all part of the same sign?
Nice research, more evidence that we're looking at St. Louis.