NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Doug

Default Grandpa's Tobacco Cards

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum. I have to say, I love the passion you guys bring to this hobby.

I am not in the hobby, and lost touch with the sport a long time ago. I am here because I need some expert advise. Back in 1960's, my grandfather gave me a shoebox full of tobacco and caramel cards that I put in plastic sleeves in binder, where they have sat ever since.

The collection includes; T205's, T206's, T201's, T210, T227, T49, T51, E91, E98, and E101.

Cobb, Mathewson, Johnson and other big names are represented. There's even an H. Wagner - yeah, Heinie not Honus... (I've done some of my homework.)

There are about 200 of them, in various condition, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

I was thinking of having the top ten per cent (as best as I can figure) graded and put them on the market, or since there are 115 T205's should I sell everything else and join the hobby and try to complete the T205's?

If I have them graded, do I go with SGC or PSA?

Thanks for your guidance.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 PM
T0dd M@rcum

it all depends on your needs and your desires...what you have is a cool thing and I am sure marketable...the better the condition, the better the price, but it is probably all fairly marketable.

What is you goal? Do you want/need money? are there any rare variants or cards in exceptional condition? Do any of the cards or sets especially appeal to you? What would you do with the proceeds of the sale that is preferable over owning the cards? Do you want to pass some on?

Lots of strategic questions and what you want before you get to the tactical ones of how to achieve it, but enjoy the opportunity to answer them. Sounds like a great find.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Sounds like a very nice collection. I would reach out to one of the many auction houses and ask for some support and guidance. Love of the Game is one that comes to mind.

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/

Also depending when you put these in sleeves if it was done in the 70’s or early 80’s. You may want to check them. Many of the early plastic protectors had a chemical which actually damaged cards so be careful and check.

In terms of grading should you decide to get them graded. Both SGC and PSA are good choices. I like SGC but it's a personal preference.

Another option is to do a bunch research via eBay and others and use our own BST here to sell cards that you have figured out a rough value on by doing some research.

Wish you the best and keep a few if you can as they were your grandfathers.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-16-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Doug

Default Grandpa's Tobacco Cards

Hey,

I didn't realize you guys have a great disdain for stories about cards passed down from "grandpa" - wish I knew that before I posted. He died in 1982. His father in law was head of maintenance in a NYC office building around 1910-1911. He had his staff pull the cards out of the waste baskets at the end of each day or so the story goes. The cards are legit. They haven't been out of my possession since I was a kid.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Rob G.

sounds neat! can you post some scans?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Sounds like a very nice collection. I would reach out to one of the many auction houses and ask for some support and guidance. Love of the Game is one that comes to mind.

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/

Also depending when you put these in sleeves if it was done in the 70’s or early 80’s. You may want to check them. Many of the early plastic protectors had a chemical which actually damaged cards so be careful and check.

In terms of grading should you decide to get them graded. Both SGC and PSA are good choices. I like SGC but it's a personal preference.

Another option is to do a bunch research via eBay and others and use our own BST here to sell cards that you have figured out a rough value on by doing some research.

Wish you the best and keep a few if you can as they were your grandfathers.

Cheers,

John
+1 on everything John said. If you go the auction route, they will usually pay to have your cards graded, or at least the representative ones that are worth grading.

Al at Love of the Game Auctions is honest and fair. He will treat you well.
JimB
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batjac1 View Post
Hey,

I didn't realize you guys have a great disdain for stories about cards passed down from "grandpa" - wish I knew that before I posted. He died in 1982. His father in law was head of maintenance in a NYC office building around 1910-1911. He had his staff pull the cards out of the waste baskets at the end of each day or so the story goes. The cards are legit. They haven't been out of my possession since I was a kid.
What happened? Did someone PM you with some nonsense?

In my opinion, the sale venue will depend on condition. There are different auction houses that cater to various kinds of collectors.

What E91s do you have? If I were to keep any, It would be the e101s or t210s, it all depends on taste. If you like the t205s, keep them, and welcome
Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Doug

Default Here's an example

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T205.BAKER,F.-F.4.4.1.jpg (52.8 KB, 876 views)
File Type: jpg T205.BAKER,F.-R.4.4.1.jpg (69.0 KB, 870 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Ken McMillan

You might post some scans here which could help with any advise given
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Doug

Default Here's another example

Yeah, they are in sleeves since the '70's. I need to get them out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 COBB, DETROIT-F.125.10.15.jpg (69.6 KB, 847 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Ken McMillan

Look nice to me
Old 03-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Doug

Default Thanks for the advise

I will definately be keeping some of them.

Don't really need the cash at the moment. My passion is guitars and I have enough of them.

I don't have anyone to pass them on to who would appreciate them, and I know that you folks do, so I think I'd like to see at least some of them in the hands of folks who collect them.

I think I will get the top ones graded.

iI heard SGC is better for T cards. Is there any consensus on that out there?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

dont bother having them graded, its a waste of time, grading is just a scheme to collect money from people and assign an arbitrary number to a card, when we can all see what condition it is in anyway. leave them raw.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Rare backs can make BIG bucks difference!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Doug

Default Backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Rare backs can make BIG bucks difference!
Got only one UZIT in the collection!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Ken McMillan

Personally, my collection is in SGC slabs but that is me. I have heard that PSA may bring a little higher dollar on the flip side.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
dont bother having them graded, its a waste of time, grading is just a scheme to collect money from people and assign an arbitrary number to a card, when we can all see what condition it is in anyway. leave them raw.
I agree, for collecting, not for selling. I seek out raw cards for my collection, most don't. It's 2013 and people collect plastic, these are the facts. Don't bother grading cards that are probably a 1 or 2, let the buyer cover the grading fee. Anything you are sending in to be graded, try to have the auction house pay for it.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Barry Arnold

Default new member

welcome aboard!
you've received some good advice.
i second the comments of Prof.JimB.
all the best to you,
barry
Old 03-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Doug

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
welcome aboard!
you've received some good advice.
i second the comments of Prof.JimB.
all the best to you,
barry
Hell, this fun, I might just keep them! I appreciate the advise guys.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Paul Stewart

Hang around for awhile and you will see that these guys know so much about the cards. I lurk more than post, but learn tons from the board and if you are not in a hurry to sell, you may get hooked just by the stories and info floating around here. Good luck. Stew
Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 PM

Please post more scans - would love to see pics of the treasures you have!!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 PM

I may be in the minority but I would put the T205s on ebay and sell them individually. If you have a nice Matty, Johnson and Cobb in the T205s, get them graded, otherwise sell them raw. I have sold a lot of cards on ebay over the years and have consigned lots and also sets and near-sets and with nice scans and good descriptions you will make more selling them individually on ebay than as a group elsewhere. Put them on ebay on Sunday night starting in the early evening. I would also put the T210s and E98s on ebay and sell them individually. get the E98s graded if they are in nice shape, especially the Hall of Famers. The T210s will generally sell even raw. They are hot now.
Good luck!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

My grandpa smoked cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewed tobacco etc. and I guess he threw all the stupid baseball stuff in the trash.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:26 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

If your going to sell them, no need to grade them, unless you have a 206 wagner, but that baker looks like a PSA4/SGC 50.

Im sure they will sell in no time if you put them up on ebay, if they are priced correctly. Good luck, and cool story.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
My grandpa smoked cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewed tobacco etc. and I guess he threw all the stupid baseball stuff in the trash.
I am guilty of the same thing - like probably many of you guys, I had my own card collection in the 60's. Yeah, and I had them all. My friends and I would buy the unopened boxes at the candy store.

Hated the gum, loved the cards.

Who knew?

Doug
Old 03-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzolot View Post
Please post more scans - would love to see pics of the treasures you have!!
Here is another one (not as pretty as the others):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T210 LEE, MACON 23.F.jpg (82.0 KB, 602 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Ted

Default Welcome!

Looks like you have some really nice cards!
I was in a almost the identical situation you are in a few months ago.
The guys on this board are awesome and will give you very good and honest advice.

Take your time, and if you are going the auction house route, contact a bunch of them and talk to them.

Ebay is hard if you don't know what you are doing (I don't do Ebay), and if you don't have a solid seller's history.

Best of luck, and enjoy! It is a lot of fun!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hell, this fun, I might just keep them! I appreciate the advise guys.
I hope you do keep them and join in our collecting reindeer games while becoming a vintage collector. It's a ton of fun with a lot of great people.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Doug

Default Keeping the cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I hope you do keep them and join in our collecting reindeer games while becoming a vintage collector. It's a ton of fun with a lot of great people.
That thought has crossed my mind more than I anticipated. I do have a sentimental attachment to them and the more I work with the cards compiling the spreadsheet, the more I am beginning to appreciate them.

Gramps loved his baseball. He was in the NY Yankees farm system in 1917 until his father died and he had to come home and support his mother and sisters. That was common knowledge in the family, but I haven't been able to document it. He fielded balls for the pros at the Polo Grounds and/or Ebbetts during practice, I cant remember which. That's where he got scouted.

You know, maybe I will keep the cards. He was a great guy: c.1924 below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img024.jpg (61.7 KB, 521 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM
pete ullman

Welcome...great looking cards so far...unbeatable provenance and sentimental value! Keep the ones you like...sell some if u desire to fund new ones...just enjoy this awesome hobby of ours!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Hope you keep them, but if you're gonna sell...

I would give the B/S/T a shot first...I would personally be gunning for some of your T205s...good luck!!!
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 AM
John Hanssen

Sounds like making up a T205 set with such a great start my be a great start into this hobby for you. Then you maybe can trade off some of your other cards here (net54) to help build your set.

Another T205 guy is always welcome!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Doug

Default T205's

Thanks John - that is what I am leaning towards right now. I bet they would look amazing as a set if displayed right.

Doug
Old 03-17-2013, 11:36 AM

Collecting is the best, trust me! I joined this board last June, and have learned so much since then. You will too, and will also meet some great people. I say continue the set!
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.

Last edited by wazoo; 03-17-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

I think it's really great the way you are becoming interested in the cards the more you interact with them. I think the bug would really take hold if you were to continue to learn about prewar cards. You're lucky to have found the best place to discuss and learn about these things here at Net54.

Spend some time reading the posts. Search for older threads about the sets you have and follow the pick up threads to see more amazing cards. You'll get hooked and find this is a great hobby and this board is an amazing community of the most knowledgable people in it.

I hope you stick around and find it as fun as I do. Welcome to both the hobby and the board.

Best regards.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default My thoughts

It sounds like the bug is biting you! Go ahead and collect awhile, while following the discussions on this board. If later on down the road you become bored, then sell them. At least you'll be better educated. It's a heck of a start for a newbie!

Good Luck!
Geno
Old 03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Doug

Default Thanks To All

I have pretty much decided to keep the 115 205's, and see what's involved in completing the set moneywise. The friendliness, enthusiasm, advise and passion for the hobby and the sport I found here played a big part in that decision.

Maybe I'll sell those original John Wayne movie posters I collected over the years instead. Got about two dozen of 'em. Never did get around to building that JW memorial saloon...

Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I have pretty much decided to keep the 115 205's, and see what's involved in completing the set moneywise. The friendliness, enthusiasm, advise and passion for the hobby and the sport I found here played a big part in that decision.

Maybe I'll sell those original John Wayne movie posters I collected over the years instead. Got about two dozen of 'em. Never did get around to building that JW memorial saloon...

My dad has a whole room devoted to John Wayne.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Doug

Default Ha!

I am not surprised - after all you are from Texas!

Gotta Go - It's Saint Paddy's Day and "The Quiet Man" is on.

Thanks again Leon!

Doug
Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Grant Rainsley

I knew with a name like Batjac the Duke would figure in there somewhere....I used to have a John Wayne Room in my previous digs, movie-worn shirt, Winchester Commemorative 32-40, movie posters etc. Parted with most of those goodies when we moved, something had to give, and it wasn't going to be my cardboard. Hope you get severely bitten by the cardboard bug!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:09 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Welcome to the right side of the street. Those 206 collectors are crazy. Let me know what your looking for. Might even do some trading if interested

Member since 2009
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Doug

Default T206 CRANDALL - UZIT Back

Hey Guys,

Here is a scan of the one UZIT back I have. Not in the best condition, but it's a UZIT alright.

I was ask to scan it earlier today:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img089.jpg (61.4 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg img090.jpg (69.3 KB, 440 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM
MikeHealer

Nice Crandall, that's a tough one, don't believe I've ever seen one before.
Great story.

Take care
Mike
Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
Nice Crandall, that's a tough one, don't believe I've ever seen one before.
Great story.

Take care
Mike
PSA hasn't graded one.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Hank

Tremendous Story & Awesome Cards. I recently came across a family with T205, T206 & Mecca Double Folders. Just goes to show there is still stuff out there!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Doug

Default T201 Double Folders

Yeah, I've got a bunch of those too.

They were my favorite cards when I first got these.

Thanks for your comments.

I sure have a lot to learn.

Regards,

Doug
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Doug,

Also don't forget that any new cards you get were once most likely collected and saved fron the scrap heap much like those your grandfather collected. Each one is a piece of history and has its own story to tell. Enjoy collecting the set!

And hey...I'm a John Wayne fan. PM me and let me know which posters you have. I may be able to help you out!

Tom C
Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 PM
pete ullman

the lenox crandall needs a bath!!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
the lenox crandall needs a bath!!!!
Look once more.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 PM
pete ullman

what are you implying, Jake...as I may be naieve or slow!

-that there is not added paper to the back that would not soak off?

-or...is there some kind of print error I'm not seeing?