NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 AM

Default Whoever won OTEY-PSA DESIG FACTORY-PLEASE CONTACT ME

Hello all,

whoever won this card please contact me...

jvanderbeck@verizon.net

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-206-OTEY-N...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by Leon; 12-17-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Mac Wubben

So you think it's real? I was skeptical...

Mac
Old 12-17-2012, 06:34 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but what card actually is this?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Mac Wubben

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-206-OTEY-N...item3a7c9c7b86
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Banned

Wow. Super cool.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Michael R.

Sadle I was the underbidder on this one...
Old 12-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Belltown Vintage

The only issue I see is that PSA wouldn't holder it. To me that indicates it might be skinned or otherwise altered, but it sure looks like a genuine blank-back.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-17-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
T0dd M@rcum

It's not really the wheelhouse of my collecting interest, though that evolves constantly concerning the Monster and I no doubt will have non-bidders remorse within the day, however, I think it has been handcut if you look at the shape of the card
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM
D.B. Cooper

Run away.

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks
Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Jake

T206 resource shows it as a recently confirmed blank back.

http://t206resource.com/Blank-Back-Checklist.html

Number 371.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
It's not really the wheelhouse of my collecting interest, though that evolves constantly concerning the Monster and I no doubt will have non-bidders remorse within the day, however, I think it has been handcut if you look at the shape of the card
But aren't most, if not all, blank backs hand cut?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 PM
J@son M1ller

yup. In fact even those that were previously thought as factory cut. I haven't seen one that has factory cuts.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:49 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Logically, out of the millions of these cards that were printed there would be some factory cut blank backs...wouldn't you think?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Jim R

I guess anything is possible but I have never seen a factory cut blank back.

PSA has stayed consistent on these. In the past they did not holder a t206 blank back Rhoades and SGC holdered the card Authentic. I believe the same will happen with the Otey.

I have a scan of the Rhoades somewhere. I will try and post that later.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Auction

Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

Judging by the final price of the Greminger, I guess there weren't as many T206 freak and blank-back collectors in 2008 as there are now.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
I am not saying this card has issues but I am always a little skeptical when I see well rounded corners, no fraying on said corners and no creases (evident) on the card.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am not saying this card has issues but I am always a little skeptical when I see well rounded corners, no fraying on said corners and no creases (evident) on the card.
I'm guessing that's part of the reason why this card did not go higher?

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
I'm guessing that's part of the reason why this card did not go higher?
My guess is it didn't go higher because blank backs weren't the flavor of the month -- or year -- like they are now.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:50 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
My guess is it didn't go higher because blank backs weren't the flavor of the month -- or year -- like they are now.
since it was legendary, I'll credit Jeff for the low price
Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
i am not saying this card has issues but i am always a little skeptical when i see well rounded corners, no fraying on said corners and no creases (evident) on the card.
hater!!!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Steve C.

Default How it turned out

For anyone who may have been wondering how this transaction turned out, here's what happended....

I was the winner of the auction that ended on 12/14/12. I promptly paid the seller and patiently waited...and waited...and waited. The last day of the expected delivery window was 1/8/13. When it didn't arrive in the mail on 1/8/13, I sent the seller a friendly inquiry asking for confirmation as to whether or not the card had been shipped. Less than 24 hours later I received the following response:

"Hi,
The card is getting sent back for grading (SGC) do due questionable authenticity.
in the mean time i will refund your money. Sorry for the inconvenience."

I immediately checked my Paypal account and found a refund for the full amount. I wasn't sure how to respond, so I never did. Then the next day, the seller provided me with ebay positive feedback.

I envisioned many scenarios, but this was certainly not one of them!

I'm nearly certain the card is authentic, so on one hand, I'm irked that the seller backed out of the transaction. But on the other hand, I'm glad I came out whole because for a while there it wasn't looking very good!

It sounds like he learned that SGC encapsulates blank backs and that he can probably get a lot more for it once it's authenticated. So watch for this card to hit the market again in an SGC holder! (Johnny - you'll get another chance at it!)

What would you do if you were me? Leave negative feedback because he back out of the transaction? Or just let it go since he voluntarily refunded my payment?

Thanks.

Steve
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I would ask him to give you first crack at the card since you were high bidder. Did you ask for a refund or hint you had concerns or did he just take it upon himself to refund you and start over...if so I would be firm that you won the auction and he should send you your card.

Cheers,

John
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 AM

Well this is an interesting twist to the story!
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this Steve, I do hope you can get first crack at it again.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Steve C.

Default Wonka

Wonka - I never even mentioned the word refund. I sent him a single e-mail through ebay simply asking if the card had been shipped or not. The refund was completely voluntary on his part.

I'm afraid he's going to up the asking price significantly once it's authenticated.

Good suggestion though. Thanks.

Steve
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Steve, that sucks! I would pressure him big time to honor the sale at this point then.

Option two ask him if you can have the card once back from SGC at small agreed to premium above your winning bid.

If he doesn’t bite on those then I would consider giving him the mark on the feedback.

Just my two cents, sorry this happened to you.

Cheers,

John
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Somebody Said They Wanted It More

There were probably a significant amount of PM's etc. from jackasses that fouled this transaction for you...I'm sorry for you if ithats the case. Maybe Jack A's from this board? You should ask the seller about that IMO...too many T206 collecters with agressive and immature tendancies and a lack of tact to rule this possibility out....just sayin'.
GB
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 AM

Default Otey.....

Seller finally realized what a gem it was! That thing is a true BB beauty if there every was one.....also, only known example of that southern leaguer! DANG STEVE SORRY!!....I LOVE THAT CARD....i bet ten or more collectors drooling over that one...

Prob a ton of inquires on it....i'm sure.....these things slip through and are hard to track down.....one day collectors will realize how truly rare and unique BB are...it will surface again...love to see it slabbed....

sorry again steve....truly a unique, one of a kind card......they are really undervalued these days....it will go big bux next time

Peace

V
Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Andy Garden

The seller had six negatives in the last six months, and seven in the year. All of these negatives come from different buyers. I think he deserves another. Steve, I hope you end up with the card in the end, but I think this one is destined to go for a lot more next time around.

Best,

Andy
Old 01-12-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG09 View Post
The seller had six negatives in the last six months, and seven in the year. All of these negatives come from different buyers. I think he deserves another. Steve, I hope you end up with the card in the end, but I think this one is destined to go for a lot more next time around.

Best,

Andy

I guess if it shows up on ebay again, we will truly see just how addicted people are to these cards because there is no way I'd bid with this guy knowing what we know now, between the negatives and this transaction. If it goes to an auction house, then I think it will get big bucks(assuming it grades). Maybe it will end up being a blessing that you didn't get it, although it did look legit to me
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Jeff

The seller listed a card, you bid on it and won it. He doesn't honor his end of the deal, cancels the transaction, refunds your money all without notifying you of his intentions. I'm trying to understand why anyone would hesitate leaving a negative. Unless you think there is some chance that he will sell it to you down the road. I think the chances of that happening are slim to none.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 AM
JeR@Me

Default Otey...

The Otey & Greminger look like someone took the back off of them. I thought blank backs were miscut/handcut, etc. --- These 2 cards look like a a vg card with good rounded corners, etc. - Aren't blank backs suppose to look like this - odd shaped, etc??

- Also, Steve - check with a lawyer on the board, but if you win an auction, pay for it I believe you own the card legally. That is a contract... Perhaps, ebays terms say this as well. (Unless you indicated in some small way that you didn't have interest,etc.) - I do understand you being a bit relieved to get your money back though... The seller definitely got a case of the backoutinskies as interest reached a fever pitch, and he saw gold in the card.

- Let us all know how this shakes out. I would not bid on this card past a nominal amount.

2 cents...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nash-T206-Ellam-Blank-Back.jpg (65.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Nash-T206-Ellam-Blank-Reverse.jpg (44.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
There were probably a significant amount of PM's etc. from jackasses that fouled this transaction for you...I'm sorry for you if ithats the case. Maybe Jack A's from this board? You should ask the seller about that IMO...too many T206 collecters with agressive and immature tendancies and a lack of tact to rule this possibility out....just sayin'.
GB
Thats why I don't post many questions pertaining to cards on this forum. The miniute you do all hell breaks loose and theres a fat chance of winning that card. Matter of fact I last time I posted about a specific card on ebay I was outbid by someone off of this board who obviously has more money than I do. 2 weeks later the card in question was up for sale at a price 5-6 times what he won it for in the auction....

Its possible thatsome or all of the t206 guys on this forum who have started the so-called back collecting frenzy messaged the guy while the card was for sale and offered him substantially more $$. you will then see tha card for sale in a few weeks for 10-20 times what it originally sold for, and someone will most likely buy it at that price too.
An old california surfer who owned the video arcade by my school used to always say something to us kids that has stuck with me since I was 12 'cause I think he was right... " Greed Kills Jiver ".