NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Bob Lemke

Default W514 Hendlers backs

I've been petitioned to add the Hendlers Ice Cream ad-back W514s to the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.

I'm always leery of generic blank-backed cards that have newly discovered ad backs.

Does anybody here have any input on this set?

HendlersIceCream-Rice.jpg

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default seen a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
I've been petitioned to add the Hendlers Ice Cream ad-back W514s to the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.

I'm always leery of generic blank-backed cards that have newly discovered ad backs.

Does anybody here have any input on this set?

Attachment 3850
I have seen a few, Bob. I don't know if I have one but to me they are another stamped back. I like them and will pay a fairly large premium for them, after close inspection of course . I will hopefully get some things posted soon that are sort of like this. I think it's fun to research these various backs . take care
Old 08-02-2009, 02:54 PM

IMG.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

I have had this for several years and have never seen another, I would love to see if anyone else has W514's with printing on the back.

Thank You
Old 08-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Lyman Hardeman

Default W514 Hendlers

Hi Bob. There is a discussion of W514 backs in an article written by Ted Golden in Issue #11 (Spring 2007) of Old Cardboard magazine. The discussion includes images of several backs including Hendlers with two different slogan variations (see page 21).

PS: I was glad to hear from T. S. O'Connell at National that you are well and in good health.

Lyman
Old 08-02-2009, 07:59 PM

Wow, that Cicotte is awesome. I also have never seen one like it.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Ive seen a few...

Here are scans I have of some backs found on W514's

(Notice the slogans vary on the Hendlers backs)

1919-21 F-Unc. Hendler's Ice Cream

1919-21 D-Unc. Barker Bread

(dont own them anymore)

Last edited by fkw; 08-06-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jersey Ice Cream

here's one (W515-2 with stamp) I just picked up.....The description in the title didn't have anything about the stamp so it went somewhat unnoticed on ebay....

Last edited by Leon; 10-14-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Bob Lemke

Default That's a W515-2

But still a great find. With your permission to capture your photos, I'll add it to the Standard Catalog.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 10-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sure thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
But still a great find. With your permission to capture your photos, I'll add it to the Standard Catalog.
Thanks for the clarification Bob...I sometimes get some of the W series mixed up. I guess I should have gotten the program at the gate . You are more than welcome to use the scan and/or info. regards
Old 10-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Just curious

Leon, why do you refer to your Jersey Ice Cream as one that has been "stamped"? That looks to me like it was printed, as does the Robinson Crusoe peanut card, both being centered and with somewhat intricate fonts. Do you think these were hand-stamped as opposed to printed?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hmmm...never gave it a second thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Leon, why do you refer to your Jersey Ice Cream as one that has been "stamped"? That looks to me like it was printed, as does the Robinson Crusoe peanut card, both being centered and with somewhat intricate fonts. Do you think these were hand-stamped as opposed to printed?
Good question, Todd. I never really gave it a second thought until now. Maybe it is a regular printed back? I think it would have been an easier process to stamp them, but printing is a possibility. In looking a little closer at it, and I did put it under low magnification, the letters are solid.....I might be able to put it under a higher magnification, get out David Cycleback's book, and investigate further. Nice question.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Todd Schultz

Default hi Leon

Not that stamped cards can't be period--of course t hey can. Still, it seems more likely legitimate and not a recent fake or fantasy card if the back was printed and not stamped--at least I would have a much higher comfort level. Then it begs the question as to whether entire strips (sheets?)were somehow submitted to the printing process, which would seem to make sense.
Keep us posted on whatever you find.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default fake?

I think the "faked" print/stamped backs debate is way over played. I am not saying you are debating it but I hear it often. On this card if someone went to that much trouble to make an extra $25 then bless their hearts.....I think I paid $51 for it......Just like 99.999 % of the stamp/printed backs out in the hobby, they are real, have been around forever, had very little value 20 yrs ago....and often are overlooked even today. (which is fine by me)

Last edited by Leon; 10-14-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Me again

I wasn't suggesting your card was not real. I just have a higher comfort level that a card is legit if it is printed. It would not take much effort at all to create some sort of stamp with a simple slogan and apply it to a blank-backed card. We can argue over whether period inks and such would then come into play, but it would surely be easier to come up with a stamp than to set a print press.

I understand your point about the likely legitimacy of stamped cards, but I do not agree that 99.999% of all stamped cards are legit; after all, that's one fake out of every 100,000 cards. It would not have to be greed driven either. Take an old company stamp, for instance, and just apply it to a low dollar card. You see it as what have you got to gain, but it might also be seen as what have you got to lose.

Again, not trying to cause a ruckus, I just think it reflects a more serious and deliberate effort by the advertiser if he goes to the trouble of having the cards printed rather than stamped.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Todd

I agree on all accounts. I was being facetious with my percentage to make a point that all of the stories about fake overprints are mostly just that, stories. Personally, I have seen about 3-5 fakes in my time. I think they are more difficult to pass off than most think.

No doubt that a more serious effort would have to be undertaken to actually have a printed back. There are actually some unique characteristics of some of the overprinted cards, which I won't go into on purpose, that gives them a bit of added protection as long as you know what to look for. First of all- anything from Ohio is suspect .